Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to bring a bottle of liquor on a flight?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I will be going on a total of 3 flights to get to my final destination, so just wondering if I bought a bottle of liquor in duty free in Dublin, can I go through security with it onto the next 2 flights? If not, can I pack a bottle in my checked baggage?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I will be going on a total of 3 flights to get to my final destination, so just wondering if I bought a bottle of liquor in duty free in Dublin, can I go through security with it onto the next 2 flights? If not, can I pack a bottle in my checked baggage?
    Thanks

Depends on the airport.

Chicago for example you leave the terminal and have to put it into your check in luggage.

If you don't have to leave the airport you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Depends on the airport.

Chicago for example you leave the terminal and have to put it into your check in luggage.

If you don't have to leave the airport you should be fine.

Is that true for a precleared flight though? Generally in the US you need to pick up your bags at the entrepot and then recheck them to the onward destination but I believe precleared luggage can transit through. This would stop the OP putting it in the checked luggage. Is the Chicago flight one of the non precleared flights?

The duty free supplier can provide a sealed bag which is suitable for onward transits within the EU but otherwise there are fragmented rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

depends on the flights/airports/countries - can you give us some more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Thanks

You will be asked when buying about your final destination. If you are transiting, it will be put in a secure, sealed bag with the receipt. Any airport security system should accept that. If you are collecting your luggage after the first flight, yes you can put the bottle into your checked bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Marcusm wrote: »
    Is that true for a precleared flight though? Generally in the US you need to pick up your bags at the entrepot and then recheck them to the onward destination but I believe precleared luggage can transit through. This would stop the OP putting it in the checked luggage. Is the Chicago flight one of the non precleared flights?

The duty free supplier can provide a sealed bag which is suitable for onward transits within the EU but otherwise there are fragmented rules.

No idea for Pre Cleared .. recently flew Dusseldorf -- Chicago -- Orlando and this applied anyway.

You have to physically pick up your bag from the belt, bring it to another belt before leaving the terminal (put any duty free into it) and then head out to get to the other terminal for your flight.

Didn't apply on the way back though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

First Up wrote: »
    You will be asked when buying about your final destination. If you are transiting, it will be put in a secure, sealed bag with the receipt. Any airport security system should accept that. If you are collecting your luggage after the first flight, yes you can put the bottle into your checked bag.

I don't think that's true of ALL airports. I'm pretty sure outside the EU you'll have to look up relevant info for country or airport to see whether they'd accept the sealed clear bag through security or not.

Gatica wrote: »
    I don't think that's true of ALL airports. I'm pretty sure outside the EU you'll have to look up relevant info for country or airport to see whether they'd accept the sealed clear bag through security or not.

Perhaps, but I can testify that it works in quite a few outside the EU. As I understood, it was introduced as a worldwide system but how well it is applied may be open to question. I have not heard of any specific problems with it but maybe others have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I was in Mexico in 2012 and both bottles in the duty free there. However they weren't sealed and when we were switching in Heathrow the first lady we spoke to in security thought she couldn't let us through but her colleague told her to just check the receipt and it would be fine. I would suggest getting the bag sealed and you should be fine. They tend to have a bit of cop on in these situations and they'd deal with similar every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Thanks

Is it worth the hassle for the few € you save, dragging them around the place and slowing yourself down at each security check?

Might be as easy buy them here and pack them away in you hold bag, or else buy them airside in the departures hall before your 3rd flight.

That assumes the third flight gives you access to Duty Free (it could be an internal flight in the US) but it makes sense to buy at the last available transit stop. You can't pack them in your hold bag - shopping is after check-in.

It can be more than a few quid, although Dublin is one of the poorest value D/F shops around as far as spirits are concerned. Even for flights within the EU, prices in Spain, Austria, Germany and Italy are way lower than Dublin - in fact the Duty Paid prices in some of these are about the same as the Dublin Duty Free prices. Of course the higher duty rates here are part of the reason but I still think Dublin D/F shop is ripping us off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 vellakare

Amsterdam is the one Airport in my experience that can be notoriously strict on Liquor. They take no chances there.

vellakare wrote: »
    Amsterdam is the one Airport in my experience that can be notoriously strict on Liquor. They take no chances there.

All airports are strict in enforcing the rules. There is no problem if you comply with them, which is what the sealed bag allows you to do.

Advertisement