Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for laptop that will run Windows 98

• 01-04-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,
    I'm in the market for a laptop that would be able to run Windows 98 (either standard or SE). I used to own a Toshiba Satellite in the late '90s/early 2000's but have since sold it and can not remember exactly what the specs were.

I probably won't be using the laptop for much other than document writing and internet browsing, so I'm not too concerned about whether it can run big programs like Photoshop, etc. An internal CD drive would be preferred though.

The reason I ask for a computer that runs Windows 98 is because I have a couple of programs that I find run best on that OS, and it is also the one I am most familiar with. Anyone have a recommendation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Windows 98 has been unsupported for a few years now, so using the internet on it is a significant security risk. You're much better off getting an up-to-date Windows version and running a Windows 98 emulator on it for your purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GreatDanes1

Well, most of the sites I do normally visit I would consider "virus free" (such as Youtube, Amazon, gmail, and a few forums like this). While I acknowledge I'd be taking a risk due to all the anti-virus being outdated, I'd really prefer just getting a system that runs Win 98 normally, as I'm not a hugely tech-savvy person and dealing with things like emulators isn't really up my street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Considering reputable sites as virus free is a dangerous assumption due to the way third party content sometimes gets onto those sites. There are plenty of reputable sites which have served up malware in 3rd party ads.

You could first try something like what's outlined here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110929150201AA7wvmj

tricky D wrote: »
    Considering reputable sites as virus free is a dangerous assumption due to the way third party content sometimes gets onto those sites. There are plenty of reputable sites which have served up malware in 3rd party ads.

Thanks for the advice. My knowledge on this area is limited so I'll take your word for it on the virus issue.
    tricky D wrote: »
    You could first try something like what's outlined here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110929150201AA7wvmj

I've heard about this feature, and have in fact used compatibility mode before on a newer computer. However, I'd still like to have a computer with the OS itself because it's a system I trust and know my way around, and I think it would be simpler to buy a system that has it already rather than first shelling out the money for a newer computer and then doing what the fellow in the link mentioned about iso files and VM applications.
    If nobody has any recommendations though I guess I'll keep searching around and hope something comes up on one of the auction sites. I've seen a few laptops for sale (of various makes) that claim to have Win 98 installed but the problem is most of them seem to be coming from the States, and I'd like to avoid dealing with power converters and whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You would probably be better installing VirtualBox and then install windows 98 into it. You can then run the W98 virtual machine for you W98 software and your current OS when accessing the internet.

I wouldn't consider YouTube or any social networking site as being virus free.

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    You would probably be better installing VirtualBox and then install windows 98 into it. You can then run the W98 virtual machine for you W98 software and your current OS when accessing the internet.
    I wouldn't consider YouTube or any social networking site as being virus free.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the computer I have access to right now is a Mac, so I don't think the Windows 98 emulators will work on it. I think it'd be simpler to just buy a machine that already has the OS (or is clean and has room to install it) rather than first purchasing a different PC with a new OS that I probably won't use, and then looking for an emulator. Do you know if any kind of Bootcamp version of Win 98 might exist? I've been doing some looking but haven't found anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hello,
    I'm in the market for a laptop that would be able to run Windows 98 (either standard or SE). I used to own a Toshiba Satellite in the late '90s/early 2000's but have since sold it and can not remember exactly what the specs were.

I probably won't be using the laptop for much other than document writing and internet browsing, so I'm not too concerned about whether it can run big programs like Photoshop, etc. An internal CD drive would be preferred though.

The reason I ask for a computer that runs Windows 98 is because I have a couple of programs that I find run best on that OS, and it is also the one I am most familiar with. Anyone have a recommendation?

Nobody here would honestly or seriously recommend windows 98. It should not be used for anything even remotely related to the internet. Don't do it!!!!

I cant stress enough, get yourself a new laptop and run the apps in XP compatibility mode... Its very easy to do

What apps are they out of curiosity?

At the very least, XP should work OK for you, XP is even unsupported now but its better than an OS from the last century!

Nobody here would honestly or seriously recommend windows 98.

Seems so. Ah well, thanks anyway. As I said, emulators aren't really an option due to my current computer being a Mac, and compatibility mode isn't the only thing I'm looking for. I'd actually like to be able to use the OS itself (partly due to nostalgia, partly because I'm just more comfortable with it).
    I'll keep looking around and hopefully something comes up.

Thanks again to all of you for the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I cant think of a single reason to run win98 over xp or even win 7 except if you have a very specific software that is win98 only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I still have my win98 laptop , and could sell if price was right .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Seems so. Ah well, thanks anyway. As I said, emulators aren't really an option due to my current computer being a Mac, and compatibility mode isn't the only thing I'm looking for. I'd actually like to be able to use the OS itself (partly due to nostalgia, partly because I'm just more comfortable with it).
    I'll keep looking around and hopefully something comes up.

Thanks again to all of you for the suggestions.
    Is this an April fools post? :)

To be "comfortable" or "trust" Windows 98 is just pure and simple insanity!
    It's hideously outdated and a massive security risk.

You will not be able to get any anti-virus, browser that will run on it that can support today's typical Flash/Silverlight/Java/HTML-5 laden websites and forget a recent version of Office either.
    Windows 98 won't pull down any OS updates - even those that were released while it was still in support and it's (many) vulnerabilities will be very well known by now.
    Most laptops of that era probably wouldn't have a wireless card built in, and if they do, they won't have support for the modern* 802.11g or higher standards and the WPA/WPA-2 security features.
    You won't get drivers for any hardware or peripherals (printers, scanners) produced in the last 8 or so years.
    Windows 98 doesn't even have native USB support for bog standard memory keys!

*Even 802.11g is becoming fairly outdated at this stage.

Kensington wrote: »
    Is this an April fools post? :)

No, and I hope that wasn't a dig at me. I never remember having any serious trouble with Win 98 back when I used it, and figured that if I could get my hands on a laptop that still ran it then it'd be relatively cheap, due to most people seeming to think it's not worth a red cent.

As mentioned, I'm not that in to computers anyway so I don't need something that has massive processing power or all the up-to-date versions of Photoshop/Word/etc. The one I'm looking for would essentially just be used as a typewriter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

No, and I hope that wasn't a dig at me.

Not at all! :)
    Still stand over what I said about Windows 98 though - you can "98-ize" the look and feel even up as far as Windows 7 (let's not get started on Windows 8 though...) plus you get a more secure OS, more up to date and supported for years to come.

Kensington wrote: »
    Not at all! :)
    you can "98-ize" the look and feel even up as far as Windows 7

Do you think you could explain that a bit? I've actually got the possibility of buying a Windows 7 bootcamp from someone (not cheap, but ah well), and depending on how much you can "98-size" it I might be willing to consider that option.

And apologies if I sounded confrontational in that last post, mate. Wasn't at all my intention. I really hope I'm not wasting anyone's time and I'd hate for ye to think that. I'm just hoping to get some advise from people who obviously know a lot more than I do in this field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would urge you in the strongest possible terms not to go anywhere near Windows98, unless you are using it completely offline. Going near the Internet on that OS would be absolutely suicidal. If you want something with a similar interface to 98, Windows 7 or even Windows 8 with Classic Shell (to restore the Start menu) are both fine options. There is nothing to be gained from using Windows 98 and certainly nothing to be afraid of regarding using Windows 7.

If you really dont want to take that option, you could run Windows XP in a VM on your Mac (I'm pretty sure) and run your applications in compatibility mode. XP is unsupported as of next week but would still be far preferable to Windows 98, as Mozilla and Google are providing browser support for at least the next year. I would not personally recommend XP but I would point you in any direction apart from the Windows 98 idea. Technology has moved on so much since that was released, you just wont be able to get anything to run on it these days. Hope this helps in some way.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I would urge you in the strongest possible terms not to go anywhere near Windows98, unless you are using it completely offline. Going near the Internet on that OS would be absolutely suicidal. If you want something with a similar interface to 98, Windows 7 or even Windows 8 with Classic Shell (to restore the Start menu) are both fine options. There is nothing to be gained from using Windows 98 and certainly nothing to be afraid of regarding using Windows 7.
    If you really dont want to take that option, you could run Windows XP in a VM on your Mac (I'm pretty sure) and run your applications in compatibility mode. XP is unsupported as of next week but would still be far preferable to Windows 98, as Mozilla and Google are providing browser support for at least the next year. I would not personally recommend XP but I would point you in any direction apart from the Windows 98 idea. Technology has moved on so much since that was released, you just wont be able to get anything to run on it these days. Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks for your advice. I wasn't aware that you could tweak a Win 7 system to act like 98, but as you and Kensington have pointed out it looks like it might not be as complicated as I first imagined. I'm trying to stay away from things like emulators purely because I don't really know how they work and would probably get a headache trying to install them. If there is a way to get something like Windows 7 to look and operate (in terms of things like interface) more like Win 98 then I'd be happy to try it. I'll search around the internet and see what I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can get virtualbox for a mac https://www.virtualbox.org you can then install W98 inside it.

I've had unix systems running inside virtual box on windows os's and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Your probably better off with Windows XP or Windows Seven. Both are basically identical to Windows 98 anyway!

Also I am unsure whether sites like youtube will work on Windows 98 as flash will no be longer be supported on that operating system.

Also other issues will occur with other websites you visit as browser is not up to date and many websites will not work!

Not too mention the security risk!

FSL wrote: »
    You can get virtualbox for a mac https://www.virtualbox.org you can then install W98 inside it.
    I've had unix systems running inside virtual box on windows os's and vice versa

I'll look in to it. If it isn't too complicated to get up and running then that sounds like a good option.
    I think I've got plenty to go on now. Thanks to everybody who replied for all your help and advice. I'll drop a message here if I run in to any problems or have some further questions. In the meantime I'll keep reading in to that Virtualbox for Mac, as well as the method described previously that lets you change a Windows 7 to run more like 98.

Cheers all!

Advertisement