Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreamcast GDEMU

• 01-04-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

If anyone's interested, there is a new GD-ROM drive replacement device from Deunan (developer of the Makaron DC and Naomi emulator) about to be released that looks very promising which should make the SD card reader obsolete.

http://dknute.livejournal.com/

http://gdemu.wordpress.com/

He's only doing a limited run and is asking for €100 before postage and packaging.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't do this to me on april fools. I hope it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't do this to me on april fools. I hope it's true.

He's been posting about it on his blog for a while now, it'd be a pretty lengthy April fools although the timing of him to post it is pretty poor.

I doubt it is, and I also hope it isn't as I'd look a right twat (if I don't already). :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks like a must have for all owners of Dreamcasts everywhere.
    It'd be more convenient to use a hdd though.
    I wonder if that will be doable.
    Plus the menu system will be handy too.
    But it's an amazing piece of work as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Are the games stored on SD with this? Price tag is hefty...

It's SD based, aye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This + 3D printer(a much better one that what I have) = Dreamcast Super Slim edition :)

I've preordered 2 units from the guy. He says max 3 per person on this run.
    Also, this might be the only run of these so if you think you want one then you better jump in quick.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've preordered 2 units from the guy. He says max 3 per person on this run.
    Also, this might be the only run of these so if you think you want one then you better jump in quick.

Wanted to ask him about that, myself. Think I'll grab two as I have 2 DC's. Just have to check and see if the spare one is a VA1, also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would love to buy one of these too but the price, eek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It seems like the device has memory slots that he selects by pressing a button, so there maybe a max limit to the amount of games per session.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    Wanted to ask him about that, myself. Think I'll grab two as I have 2 DC's. Just have to check and see if the spare one is a VA1, also.

Does the GC have to be a VA1 to be compatible?
    It seems like the device has memory slots that he selects by pressing a button, so there maybe a max limit to the amount of games per session.

That's just for that revision prototype, in the next one, that remote board will be gone & he's seemingly going to look at adding a menu system

Myrddin wrote: »
    Does the GC have to be a VA1 to be compatible?

Yeah. VA0 and VA2 have problems. I think VA0s were very early JP and US NTSC models. Don't know about the VA2s. He mentions the details about it here...

http://gdemu.wordpress.com/details/

Will be a nice little setup inside my candy cab. Can solder on a couple of buttons or re-use some that are already on the cab if there is no select menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

lots of nice things happening around disc emulation for different consoles. There is another Dreamcast disk emulator almost ready by some guys on assemblergames DCIO That's probably why dknuke has decided to get his out there before the others instead of sitting on it all these years

Then there is the sega saturn one and another for the ps1 (same guys behind the DCIO)

Master of the Universe

Will be a nice little setup inside my candy cab. Can solder on a couple of buttons or re-use some that are already on the cab if there is no select menu.

Do you have a Dreamcast MGCD?

Was considering getting one of them to play the Dreamcasts vertical shmups on my cab. Would be really great with an SD loader like this alright.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you have a Dreamcast MGCD?

Was considering getting one of them to play the Dreamcasts vertical shmups on my cab. Would be really great with an SD loader like this alright.

No I don't have that no. At the moment I just have a DC hooked up to my cab via hacked pads and a VGA switch. I've got the SD serial port loader on it as well but that's pretty slow so I usually just use discs.

Master of the Universe

Ah yes, of course! The oul VGA in on the Egret III. Really handy thing to have. Sometimes I'd love a more modern cab for that kind of functionality.

I've one of those Dreamcast serial port loaders too. They an interesting item for the idea, but a waste of time really as far as practicality goes.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah yes, of course! The oul VGA in on the Egret III. Really handy thing to have. Sometimes I'd love a more modern cab for that kind of functionality.

I've one of those Dreamcast serial port loaders too. They an interesting item for the idea, but a waste of time really as far as practicality goes.

Ah the SD thing is ok. But it is a novelty more than a reliable game loader. I got a nice torrent a while back with all the games that currently work with it. So I just dumped them in the SD and they work fine, only prob CDDA isn't supported so no music etc on a lot of games. Most of the shmups work fine on it, just without background music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

so tempted, but thats 100 I dont have at the moment, shame these are limited run.

• Advertisement

So, I got mine today. It works flawlessly and the load times are virtually nil on anything I've tried, so far. A GUI would be nice but, only to make it handier as the way games are selected now isn't much of a problem.

206lx0l.jpg

2uhmwyb.jpg

Still waiting on mine :(
    There really isn't much to the DC when you remove the GD-ROM drive. I wonder how it'd look in another case? Now that the drive isn't needed it opens up some pretty interesting modding possibilities.

I know he sent one more to Ireland along with my order, was thinking it was yours but, obviously not. Even though I was more or less next on the list, the only reason I got mine now is probably due to the fact that I offered a bank transfer to help him out because PayPal froze the money in his account for 60 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There really isn't much to the DC when you remove the GD-ROM drive. I wonder how it'd look in another case? Now that the drive isn't needed it opens up some pretty interesting modding possibilities.

Dreamcast Portable perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Dreamcast Portable perhaps?

The main board is still the width/length of the bottom of the case - under the metal plate the GCEmu is sitting on. Runs fairly hot, would be 'interesting' to try to cool it in a smaller case

Only thing left to do is to find out how to patch GDI's to make them region free or the same region as the console.

Only thing left to do is to find out how to patch GDI's to make them region free or the same region as the console.

Region free bios chip ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I know he sent one more to Ireland along with my order, was thinking it was yours but, obviously not. Even though I was more or less next on the list, the only reason I got mine now is probably due to the fact that I offered a bank transfer to help him out because PayPal froze the money in his account for 60 days.

that was my one and it arrived safe and sound :D

My one should be coming next week I'm told. I ordered two of them but seems like he's having some problems getting all the parts, so we agreed to just 1 for now and another a bit later.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Region free bios chip ;)

Seems like a pain to do but, I'm enquiring about getting some chips for it right now.
    that was my one and it arrived safe and sound :D

Nice. :D
    I ordered two of them but seems like he's having some problems getting all the parts, so we agreed to just 1 for now and another a bit later.

Ordered two myself and agreed on one for the time being, also.

So for the guys who got one, how is it going with the GDEmu? My one should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin :)

I see there is one button on the board in the pics, is this just a "Next" button to move folders or is there some other way of doing it?

Cheers

I see there is one button on the board in the pics, is this just a "Next" button to move folders or is there some other way of doing it?

It is, indeed. Folders are numbered... 01, 02, 03 etc. 01 autoloads on startup if you have that option enabled in your dash, so the button shifts up a folder with each press and loads whatever is in those folders. It's like opening the lid and changing a disc as you would with the optical drive still installed.

It's perfect. No issues so far, faster loading too (and that's even with a low class SD card). Only problem is that while using backups on your optical drive you can do multiregion no bother. This needs strict GDI rips so only games that are the region of your console will load, unless you have a region free BIOS.

It is, indeed. Folders are numbered... 01, 02, 03 etc. 01 autoloads on startup if you have that option enabled in your dash, so the button shifts up a folder with each press and loads whatever is in those folders. It's like opening the lid and changing a disc as you would with the optical drive still installed.

It's perfect. No issues so far, faster loading too (and that's even with a low class SD card). Only problem is that while using backups on your optical drive you can do multiregion no bother. This needs strict GDI rips so only games that are the region of your console will load, unless you have a region free BIOS.

Cheers for the info. I'll region free the bios at some stage.
    But I got a complete set of PAL GDI's just there today. Of course I own every single PAL DC game there is so this just saves me ripping them :D;)smiley_pirate.png

Now, do you think it'll be handy enough to solder on some external buttons or has he made the headers tiny?
    My plan is to use an SD extender to place the sd slot on the front of the DC and have buttons somewhere handy as well.

Now, do you think it'll be handy enough to solder on some external buttons or has he made the headers tiny?
    My plan is to use an SD extender to place the sd slot on the front of the DC and have buttons somewhere handy as well.

Should be handy enough. The button and the SD card are already easily accessible under the lid/case if it proves to be any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I need to get me one of these, the optical drive on my modded Dreamcast (VGA + BIOS) is starting to go, so this will do perfect.

How easy is it to install? Just flip out the GD-ROM drive and attach the GDEMU?

• Advertisement

How easy is it to install? Just flip out the GD-ROM drive and attach the GDEMU?

Yep. The plate that the drive sits on, four screws, lift it out and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Got mine today. Works perfectly.

My one arrived eventually today.

Nice and neat little PCB.

IMG_6010sml.jpgIMG_6008sml.jpgIMG_6017sml.jpgIMG_6031sml.jpg

I might 3D print some little legs for it or do something with Sugru maybe. Even though the pads included do the job fine.

Had an issue getting games to load, seemed to be related to the VGA box i was using to hook it up to the candy cab. Swapped for another one and all is well. Weird!
    Load times are pretty awesome :)

Ah, I really want one of these :(

• Advertisement

Quick loading speed test of the GDEMU vs the GD-Rom drive. I should have used a game that's a slow loader to show it off.
    Anyone know the slowest loading DC game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Wouldn't be worried about the speed, in the bloody noise of the GD-Rom I'd be looking forward to getting rid off !!

Master of the Universe

Impressive load times!

The loading screens in Shenmue are starting to annoy me with their length. This would be a great solution to that.

Wouldn't be worried about the speed, in the bloody noise of the GD-Rom I'd be looking forward to getting rid off !!

Yeah, its a big plus alright.
    The fan is also a bit noisy on them so I think I'll look into modding or replacing that.

So the GDEMU doesn't currently have any on-screen disc/game select interface.
    But the DC already has one built in :)

So the GDEMU doesn't currently have any on-screen disc/game select interface.
    But the DC already has one built in :)

That loading time...you don't have a spare by any chance do you? :P

Anyone else with the GDEMU notice the DC gets super hot around the PSU after about 2-3 hours of use??
    How hot does a normal DC get? I know the PSU gets hot but this seems extreme. It was left running Crazy Taxi for 2-3 hours so was pretty much in constant use as the demo kicks in pretty quick.

5dzk.jpg

This seems really hot to me, or is it normal?
    fdnj3.jpg

Temp around the GDEMU is fine:
    9oh19.jpg

Haven't had mine on for that length of time to notice. Only way to find out if it's drawing more power and overheating is to do it with the GD drive back in place with a disc copy.

Haven't had mine on for that length of time to notice. Only way to find out if it's drawing more power and overheating is to do it with the GD drive back in place with a disc copy.

Yeah, I might give that test a go and see what the difference is. You can actually smell the electrical heat from it as it is!

I've a few DC's I can swap parts from if its a dodgy PSU, just don't want to damage the GDEMU itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

68 is way too hot, the electrolytic caps in the power supply won't last long at those temps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement