Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 28" TV option for a senior, few specific requirements

• 01-04-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all, hope I'm in the right forum for this query.

I'm looking for a new 28" or 30" TV for my grandmother. Few quite specific requests...

1) Strong, full sound. As with many OAPs, her hearing isn't what it used to be so it would need to go very loud and not be too tinny. It would be a huge inconvenience to set up a soundbar.
    2) It would be ideal if it could turn on automatically when plugged in without automatically going to standby.
    3) I'd also like it to load up directly to an active HDMI. She has a Ferguson Ariva 150 and both it and her old TV are on the same extension lead so when you plug the lead into the wall, within about 15 seconds you just have RTÉ One without having to touch any buttons.
    4) No need for any Smart TV options, menus and remote as bare bones and simple as possible. It's always just going to be showing the Ariva 150 channels.

Price isn't really a major issue if it's the right TV. Can buy online or in any stores in the Louth/Meath/Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

Hi,

1) Tricky one. Sound is an after thought with modern TVs I'm afraid. A lot of brands quote fancy marketing terms but few deliver especially outside of the very large screen sizes. Having said that Sony & Panasonic tend to be the best of a bad bunch.

Could you put up with a set of stereo PC like speakers? Have a look at Bose Companion 2s. Pricey enough at 99quid but either that or put up with the in built sound as 50euro speakers are not going to be much of an improvement.

2) do you mean when switched off at the wall? I'd have no idea of the top of my head which model would. Worth pointing out that all manufacturers recommend you keep the TV in standby so as they can receive their regular updates over the air. They use less than 1w in standby nowadays so it's costing you nothing to do so.

3) with HDMI link enabled you can do this. Most branded sets should have this feature

4) still plenty of non-smart TVs on the market but most of them tend to be bog standard. Therefore to get a 32" screen with a nice clear picture and decent sound it's inevitably going to be smart. Which is fine even if you don't intend to use them.

For a second opinion why not ask the guys in the Richersounds page. They should be able to recommend a few models and I believe they deliver up and down the country.

I hope this helps somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't think theres many lcd/led TV's in 28" or 30"

its either 26" or 32"

Advertisement