Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn advice

• 01-04-2014 2:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

My lawn has been covered in dandelions,daisies and docks for many years.

I recently applied a selective weedkiller to destroy the weeds and hopefully leave the grass intact,i did this about a week or two ago and repeated the application on sunday.

Already I can see the daisy plants starting to shrivel up and the dandelions are giving up the ghost too.

I have a couple of questions in relation to this procedure.

How long should I leave the weedkiller to do it's work and what should my next move be after that?

Do I scutch the garden to remove the dead plants and then reseed or should I use a lawn scarifier and then reseed?

Should I lay compost and/or aereate the lawn?
    Are there any issues about composting the resultant dead material?

many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

I would treat it as you are doing presently and if it's really bad, treat it again in about six weeks, when the weeds die off get a mix of peat moss, lime free sand and grass seed mix and re-seed where there are bare patches. I wouldn't scarifying till late autumn or winter.

Aerating would be a good idea but fill the holes straight away with lime free sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

Good work on your lawn - quick question what weedkiller did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

I use stuff called Relay, excellent on broad based leaves, clover etc, it's a spray, think this might only be available commercially but not 100% sure. I'm sure garden centres would have something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Lazybones wrote: »
    Good work on your lawn - quick question what weedkiller did you use?

It was an inexpensive one from the local hardware shop...about a tenner.

I applied it using a garden sprayer that Lidl have at the moment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

What of ye use on big areas? If I were to use those feed and weed bags you see in garden centres it'd cost me about 150. What are the cheaper alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

What of ye use on big areas? If I were to use those feed and weed bags you see in garden centres it'd cost me about 150. What are the cheaper alternatives?

Get a dilutable weedkiller...the one i bought only requires 15 mls for every five litres of water.

Miracle grow fertiliser is the same...you just mix it with water and add it to the lawn.

Advertisement