Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 AV

Options
  • 01-04-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm concerned mostly with the fact I don't have an option to scan a rar before I unzip it or an anti virus check for all downloaded files.

Is this windows defender any good?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Try avast (the free version)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I find ESET very good, although it isn't free.

AVG free is good. It depends on personal preference really. I think Avast is a bit intrusive for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can add the right click scan to defender in Win 8 too.

They even have a Reg file download to do it for you at the end of the tutorial page.

Instructions:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sarfi

AVG free version does the job,give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

mp22 wrote: »
    Try avast (the free version)

seconded

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Avast is ok, likewise is the included Defender but the best anti virus is keeping your system, web browsers and plugins (Adobe Flash, Reader, Java etc.) up to date.

Nick

Advertisement