Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Studies - Ireland & UK

Options
  • 01-04-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So here's the deal.

I know there has been tonnes of posts about training to be a Paramedic and Paramedic jobs etc but some of them are old and some don't exactly answer exactly what I want to hear fully.

So can you guys please help me out?

Here's my standing as of now:

(--Feel free to skip this part if you wish--)

I'm currently in Ireland, Sligo. Studying Web Development, in my third year... And I hate it. I dislike it and it's not what I want to do, however, seeing as I'm in my third year I decided I might as well finish it and get my degree.

Through the course of my final year I got accepted, via the Order of Malta on to an Emergency Medical Technician course and have been undergoing that for the last 6-7 months. I've passed my summative assessments, due to go on clinical placement and soon enough I'll be a qualified EMT come June after my Phecc OSCEs and MCQs.

I realised during this course that this is exactly what I want to do. As I really enjoy it and the thrill is so exciting and each day is something different!

So here's what I want to know:

What opportunities do I have to become a Paramedic in Ireland?
    I know in Ireland - Paramedic recruitment is very limited but regardless what are the methods of recruitment to train as a Paramedic and when might it take place? I've researched and noticed that you have to wait till the HSE open recruitment but when would this normally happen or would it be random?

Also

how much does this cost?
    As a young student aspiring to be a Paramedic, as you're probably all aware of. Money will definitely not be my strong point at this current moment in time! Is there any fees involved?
    Or would I get paid for it over here seeing as they expect you to spend a lot of time studying with them.

And in England?
    What opportunities can I avail of there?
    I know this option seems like the more likely one but where would be the best places to apply? Because I know there's a few?

Is there any recognition to qualifications prior to arrival?
    ie. Will my EMT be acceptable to skip any modules that I may already be qualified in

When is the normal recruitment process?
    Is there any regular ones that can happen rather that waiting to wait a full year to apply?

I can't really seem to wrap my head around the English system so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be great.

Also will I be able to afford England?
    I really want to do this as soon as possible but what are the grants like with the English system? Would I be able to afford it or would I be better off working for awhile, building up a bit of money and then going over? (Bear in mind that I really really want to do this)

Thanks for any replies, I know it's a long one but I really am stumped, nervous, but really excited at the same time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I can't comment on England but I'll go briefly over Ireland.

NAS recruitment- The NAS have just had a recruitment process and currently have a panel of almost 200 so I would imagine it will be a couple of years before another recruitment takes place.

When you are recruited into the NAS you are paid as a student.
    You must have a pass leaving cert with a science subject, there was an exception for the science subject where you could use an EMT qualification in place of the science subject.

As an EMT you can apply for a position in the intermediate care service but it also has a panel awaiting training.

B.Sc in UCD, this programme is still currently in the planning and 'putting together' stage so it could be another year or two before that happens and you will have to pay university fees as it will be full time through the CAO.

Dublin Fire Brigade- they currently have a panel of controllers who may go on to train as paramedics so recruitment there is unlikely at present.

The Defence Forces- are currently recruiting so you could look at the medical corps who train staff to EMT, Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic.

With relation to the NAS, prior to sitting any aptitude tests you will be required to hold a B and C1 driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

as for the UK option (the road i am going down) there are a few diffrent ways to do it.

A apply to a third level institute to study paramedic science (or something similar) TBH i dont know much about this but as far as i know you do placement with a nearby trust. I dont think you get paid to do it. (am open to correction on this)

B wait until one of the trusts recruit student paramedics (the way I am doing it) similar to the hse system.
    1st apply via the NHS website showing your have the basic set of qualifications they require, have the personal attributes they are looking for and the relevant work experience the are looking for

2nd if you are successful you get a invitation to a assessment day where you do psychometric tests (maths, verbal reasoning, map reading, highway code etc) and sometimes a short team exercise. the type of tests seem to vary between trusts.

3rd if you are successful you get invited to a physical fitness test, a driving assessment, a flexibility test, a strength test and a interview. for me these were all on the same day. and i was surprised how many struggled with the physical side of things.

after all this they take you on and train you as there equivalent of a EMT and after a while working as this they start to train you up as a paramedic.
    different ambulance trusts work differently so the timelines and assessments may vary. they pay you to train and work so that's nice.

start to focus on building your CV particularly in the healthcare sector to have a good application and to have lots to talk about at your interview.

there is a great forum in the UK called the UKambulance forum with lots of info

Advertisement