Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simulation/Government/God/Finance/Construction Games

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Doesn't really fall into your criteria but this is a seriously addictive little game
    http://www.dontstarvegame.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

ShaShaBear wrote: »

Basically I love games involving the management of a craft/profession/community and using the correct management to make money to in turn become better at what I was doing originally

Based on this requirement, then Anno 2070 really is your best bet. Or the earlier Anno games if you prefer a medieval vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Cravez wrote: »
    Mount & Blade Warband is a fantastic game. Incorporates tons of game styles such as Strategy, Diplomacy, Trading, Third/Person Combat, Siege Combat, Macro Management etc. Some of them very in-depth.

Pillage villages, elope with a kings wife, Siege castles, betray your allegiance and form your own kingdom? You can do tons of stuff in M&B Warband and you can create a female character which has it's own achievements during the playthrough.

There's mods for the game too but the most complete and best I'v found is the Floris Mod Pack.

Also it's not neccessarily like one game, even if you didn't like Total War you might really enjoy this. It's not a point/click and drag type of game. In battle you have free roam of your character and give your troops orders, with after a little practice is accomplished in less than 3 key strokes max.

I have absolutely no idea why I didn't mention this as one of the games I love :p Recently played through the GoT mod, think I heard that there is a LotR one as well, might have to give that a go! Bannerlords is the new one due to come out, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

ooh, also - Prison Architect hasn't been mentioned yet. Its in Alpha still, but very playable and very good. Like Theme Hospital but with high-security violent offenders instead of patients!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tropico 5's just been given a release date of May 23rd - what's your due date ShaSha? :D

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    Tropico 5's just been given a release date of May 23rd - what's your due date ShaSha? :D

Pfffffffffffffffffffft not until 10th of July!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Caesar 4. Basically Roman times sim city.

It's old but still looks good for the genre and is a great game if you like the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

BloodBath wrote: »
    Caesar 4. Basically Roman times sim city.

It's old but still looks good for the genre and is a great game if you like the genre.

Did it improve massively with patches? I remember being deeply disappointed by that when it launched. I was a huge Caesar fan when I was younger.

Not sure to be honest. I never had an issue with it.

Why were you disappointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Another nod for Rise of Nations. Class game.

• Advertisement

Not sure to be honest. I never had an issue with it.

Why were you disappointed?

It was a long time ago. I remember strongly disliking it after Caesar III, it felt like a very different game much less management-like and more mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea why I didn't mention this as one of the games I love :p Recently played through the GoT mod, think I heard that there is a LotR one as well, might have to give that a go! Bannerlords is the new one due to come out, isn't it?

I haven't heard of Bannerlords, I must check it out and see what it's about. I tend not to go for the overhaul mods that change alot of the factions/landscape too much. The Floris mod adds high res textures for the vanilla game but also includes tons of tweaks mods into the one package like the diplomacy mod, expanded troops (loads of solder upgrades), UI changes, skill changes/additions etc.

I actually liked M&B With Fire and Sword but very disappointed that you can't create your own kingdom or do things such as Diplomacy etc. The trading in it was fantastic though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It wasn't a patch on the previous ones. Caesar III, there's a game you could be proud of :D

Cravez wrote: »
    I haven't heard of Bannerlords, I must check it out and see what it's about. I tend not to go for the overhaul mods that change alot of the factions/landscape too much. The Floris mod adds high res textures for the vanilla game but also includes tons of tweaks mods into the one package like the diplomacy mod, expanded troops (loads of solder upgrades), UI changes, skill changes/additions etc.

I actually liked M&B With Fire and Sword but very disappointed that you can't create your own kingdom or do things such as Diplomacy etc. The trading in it was fantastic though.

The only problem I had with it was originally there was no choice for a female character. I haven't played in a while
    (Nostalgic itch + 4 days off college = end of life)
    but I have loads of Steam achies to get for it!

The GoT mod was a serious overhaul alright, but it was extremely well-done and actually made the game even more difficult rather than easier!
    https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

another ancient one - Startopia

or (old again) - Evil Genius

nesf wrote: »
    It was a long time ago. I remember strongly disliking it after Caesar III, it felt like a very different game much less management-like and more mainstream.
    It wasn't a patch on the previous ones. Caesar III, there's a game you could be proud of :D

That's nostalgia talking. I've played both and enjoyed both.

It's like saying the new xcom is bad because your first experience with the original was better because it was a lot fresher and newer at the time.

For someone who never played the original the newer version is going to be better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sadly the only ones of this genre I ever liked were Sim City on the Snes, Theme Park on the 3DO and Populous on the Megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I was addicted to all the tycoon games back in the day. Railroad and Rollercoaster in particular. I bought RCT 3 on steam during the summer but I just haven't had the time to dig into it and trying to play it without doing any tutorial was a mess.

sarumite wrote: »
    I was addicted to all the tycoon games back in the day. Railroad and Rollercoaster in particular. I bought RCT 3 on steam during the summer but I just haven't had the time to dig into it and trying to play it without doing any tutorial was a mess.

I tried the new ones, and I dunno, they just didn't have the same pull (although it could have been that my OCD obsession with everything being neat and tidy and properly spaced wasn't adequately sated with the new gfx).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Transport tycoon deluxe. There's an open source (free) version up here.

• Advertisement

That's nostalgia talking. I've played both and enjoyed both.

It's like saying the new xcom is bad because your first experience with the original was better because it was a lot fresher and newer at the time.

For someone who never played the original the newer version is going to be better.

Eh, I like the new XCOM! :P

I think it's closer to Civ IV and and Civ V. Quite a lot changed between the games, different development teams made them, there was division on release whether the new version was better or not. Not so much nostalgia but views on whether the changes were in a good direction (e.g. stack of doom being lost for hex based).

Advertisement