Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books for Blokes

• 01-04-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Im going off on 2weeks holidays in a couple of weeks and am wondering have you guys any suggestions for a couple of books to read,
    Now i would be looking for sometting non fiction , So either a really cool true story or books about intresting stuff for instant i read the Art of war recently and loved it,
    Just really anything you guys like and think are must reads
    Any suggetions .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Anything my Malcolm Gladwell. I particularly enjoyed Outliers. A life too short:the tragedy of Robert Enke. i wouldn't say it's cool but it is an enlightening read about the goalkeeper Robert Enke who committed suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If you have a Kindle, "Killing Pablo" is only £1 on the Uk store. If you don't, buy it anyway. About the hunt for Pablo Escobar and all the cartel malarkey.

Oh, it's by Mark Bowden. All his books worth a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Birneybau wrote: »
    If you have a Kindle, "Killing Pablo" is only £1 on the Uk store. If you don't, buy it anyway. About the hunt for Pablo Escobar and all the cartel malarkey.

Oh, it's by Mark Bowden. All his books worth a read.

+1 for Killing Pablo.

Evan Wright has two good books, "Generation Kill" and "American Desperado". Generation Kill follows a Marines recon unit during "Operation Iraqi Freedom" in 2003. Evan Wright essentially became one of the unit for an extended period of time.
    American Desperado describes the life of a former mafia member who ends up in Miami in the late 1970s. Cocaine is just starting to become the next big thing and he becomes involved with a Colombian cartel, essentially becoming the cartels main importer into the United States.

There's also a book I've picked up but haven't so far read. The Death Zone by Matt Dickinson.
    "It seemed like any other season on Mount Everest. Ten expeditions from around the world were preparing for their summit push, gathered together to try for mountaineering's ultimate prize. Twenty-four hours later, eight of those climbers were dead, victims of the most devastating storm ever to hit Everest. On the North face of the mountain, a British expedition found itself in the thick of the drama. Against all odds, film-maker Matt Dickinson and professional climber Alan Hinkes managed to battle through hurricane-force winds to reach the summit."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

5 days that shook the world

It's a good read and a lot of surprising tidbits to keep you entertained

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Storm of Steel - by Ernst Junger. His account of time served on the Western front is high literature, grim and shows the camaraderie of serving in an army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anything by Bill Bryson, he mainly does travel books (and they're brilliant) but 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings - a decent single volume history of WWII

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Chris Clark

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason, about his experiences as a Huey pilot in Viet Nam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks folks i'll have a look into some of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm currently reading Walt Disney by Neal Gabler. It's a fascinating biography of the man behind the original corporation.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm currently reading Walt Disney by Neal Gabler. It's a fascinating biography of the man behind the original corporation.

Who? :D

• Advertisement

David Niven's 'The Moon Is A Balloon' is a fantastic autobiography as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Anything by Bill Bryson, he mainly does travel books (and they're brilliant) but 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' is brilliant

Seconded - I'm reading it again myself at the moment. Amazing book.

Neonjack wrote: »
    Seconded - I'm reading it again myself at the moment. Amazing book.

It and 'At Home' are going to be on a consistent loop on my reading list. Currently reading 'Lost Continent', he's definitely one of my favourite writers and someone I am constantly recommending to others.

The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel is a really entertaining read, the movie doesn't compare. Full of adventure, bravery and daring, and all true.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

You might like Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Wasn't really my cup of tea - a bit "I am a macho man; see how much pain I can take" - but several guys I know loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Jon Ronson's - The Psychopath Test or his other book 'Them:Adventures with Extremists'. Both very quick,funny and fascinating reads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If you are into soccer,Paul McGrath's autobiography was very good.The Antarctic Explorer Tom Crean's book was absolutely brilliant.The man was superhuman.

Books here.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Back-from-Brink-Paul-McGrath/9780099499558
    http://www.bookdepository.com/Unsung-Hero-Michael-Smith/9781905172863

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Jack Reacher series

A good read for the commute

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher

Advertisement