Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete or Decking

• 01-04-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all...

We are doing up our back garden and are seeking opinions / advice on getting concrete or decking

and do you have any contacts for doing this in dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Neither I would say - paving stones or slabs can give texture and character and need next to no maintenance and look great for many years to come.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Agree with the above but i have a particular loathing for decking...common and nasty-looking after afew years it degenerates into a slippery,mould-covered mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

thanks for the comments guys

no any people looking for some work ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

i wouldnt dismiss either,have a look at a few images online of both to give you a more visual outlook,
    paving looks really well and would be my choice over concrete which looks to commercial for a home
    its all a matter of personal taste,
    keeping a deck slime fee is really simple and will take 5min to do so dont let it put you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

I cannot speak for the east coast but had thoughts of doing decking here in the south west but went to look at two neighbours decks which had been laid for a few years and they were not low maintenance and were not pretty. I have decided on patio slabs and dont know if we have B&Q or equivalent in Ireland, have a very nice imprinted concrete type stone on a net backing which comes in strips and is aparently fairly easy to lay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

thanks for the comments guys

we have a reasonably long garden

So what we are considering doing is breaking it down in 3 section

1st 3rd Concrete
    2nd 3rd Grass Flowers etc.
    3rd Decking and shed area

the imprinted concrete looks really good however it is costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

We got Indian sandstone for our "outdoor kitchen extension" :p

Looks lovely, cleans up great, even after plant pots have been sitting on it over the winter. You get a certain amount of green algae, but that's disappearing on its own where the sun gets at it, and can be removed easily enough. Roadstone and various other places supply it.

I think that imprinted concrete looks good, but apparently it's tough for the builders to do, as the surface finishe needs a totally windless day to dry in (it's this dust apparently), and we get very few of those here. Also, our architect said that it doesn't wear well, so you get "goalmouth" wear at the place where you habitually get out of the car. If yours is going around the back, it would probably wear at the house entrance.

As for decking, I never understood what anyone saw in this. It was all the rage about 10 years ago and seems to have gone into every second house in the estates built from 2000 on. David McWilliams even referred to the demographic as the "Decklanders"!

I don't know of anyone who's actually removing it, but Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's friend has a business ripping up decking, so I'd say it's not unheard of! :D

Advertisement