Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recovering Alcoholic Doesn’t Need Friends To Have A Good Time

• 01-04-2014 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Ah, The Onion! Always good for a laugh!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/recovering-alcoholic-doesnt-need-friends-to-have-a,35663/
    “For a while, it seemed like I was spending every single moment partying and screwing around with the guys,” said Bradford, who noted that he now actively avoids any group outings or social situations in which he may come in contact with his former buddies. “Honestly, it got to the point where I couldn’t go a day without spending time with at least one friend; and you’d often find me in my basement kicking back with as many as 10 or 12 of them in one evening. Hell, sometimes I’d pass out on the couch surrounded by my buds and then start hanging out with them the second I woke up the next morning.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

At the start of my sobriety I had to change all my friends and social meetings which were always in pubs anyway,In doing so I found hundreds of lovely cafés and restaurants and a whole new world of friends and aquentences , this quote really says it all for me...
    Nothing changes if Nothing changes

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I was worried that people wouldn't get it but you hit the nail on the head there. I was the same, it was easier to stay stopped if I avoided the situations where, despite all my good intentions, I would end up drinking waaaaay more than was good for me.

This meant house parties, weddings, birthday parties etc. I am so glad I stopped drinking before people were so obsessed with facebook and selfies otherwise I would have to live through a lifetime of cringeworthy photos to remind me of what a fool I was when I was drunk.

I don't miss the parties at all, I drank as a coping mechanism. I would feel so awkward and out of place at them. And I drank to take the edge off... How crazy does that sound? I drank to not feel uncomfortable in situations that I really didn't want to be anyway. Why I just didn't go, I don't know!!!

Advertisement