Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps On Phone In USA - Use Much Data?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi.
    Has anybody here used google maps on their phone as their sat nav when driving in the States?

Just wondering how much data roughly it would use.Say for a two hour drive would it use much MB of data generally?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

In my experience, yes, they use a lot of data. How much I dont know.

There are maps apps out there that you download maps in advance with so they'll work when you're outside coverage.

Sorry to be vague, hopefully someone else can be ore specific and technical.

You can always go to a shop and buy a cheap GPS when you get here.

That way directions stay on the gps and it leaves your phone free. Just a thought.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gps-navigation/portable-gps/abcat0301014.c?id=abcat0301014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

^ agree on all counts; lots of data, buy a GPS.

To add: road trips in the US frequently include lots of remote and/or mountainous stretches. No cell towers = no data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

What network are you with here?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Thanks lads.I'm on Three network here.My oh has a Htc which she's going to get unlocked and we'll use a local data SIM. We'll just have a car for two of the days so I'm thinking we might get by with the data allowance on the local SIM.
    If we had it for another few days I'd go with a separate sat nav or a sat nav app but we might get by given its just for two days and we won't really be doing any very long drives.more like 3-4 hours per day I reckon in the car.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

gaillimh wrote: »
    We'll just have a car for two of the days so I'm thinking we might get by with the data allowance on the local SIM.

Car rental place will probably rent you a gps too. If its only for a few days, might even be cheaper than (buying and) downloading maps to save locally.

Its so much nicer than using your phone. You get the more detailed (and reliable) turn by turn directions, you can put it in the sun on your dashboard without worrying about it. It doesnt use so much power, bigger screen. Plus you still have the phone free.

But thats just me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Where abouts will you be driving? If you're out in a small rural place, it might be very difficult to get coverage with your phone. Major cities are usually pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You can download Google maps to your phone to use offline, although I couldn't swear you'd be able to download a large enough section to cover a 2 hour drive

Android: https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650377

iOS: http://gizmodo.com/how-to-save-offline-maps-in-the-new-google-maps-for-ios-819672562/all

I do it on city breaks using my hotel wifi rather than risk roaming data charges when I, inevitably, get lost

Advertisement