Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are emobile select unlimited family and friends being penalised with high phone c

Options
  • 01-04-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I am entitled to an uprade so i recently went into an emobile shop to see what my options were with regards to the phones available.

I told the representative that i was on the select unlimited plan and his first question was “Is it the 35 euro one?”

I said yes at which point he explained that the phone prices were SIGNIFICANTLY higher if you are on the select unlimited plan but are availing of the friends and family offer.

Some phones are 200/300 euros higher.

Out of interest, I also visited a carphone warehouse and was astonished on how cheaper the phones were in comparison to the emobile store for a variety of different plans?

Can someone please explain why are emobile select unlimited family and friends being penalised with high phone costs??
    Surely loyal existing customers looking to upgrade should not be penalised due to an existing contract?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 690 ✭✭✭eMobile: Grainne

tazdogue wrote: »
    Hi,

I am entitled to an uprade so i recently went into an emobile shop to see what my options were with regards to the phones available.

I told the representative that i was on the select unlimited plan and his first question was “Is it the 35 euro one?”

I said yes at which point he explained that the phone prices were SIGNIFICANTLY higher if you are on the select unlimited plan but are availing of the friends and family offer.

Some phones are 200/300 euros higher.

Out of interest, I also visited a carphone warehouse and was astonished on how cheaper the phones were in comparison to the emobile store for a variety of different plans?

Can someone please explain why are emobile select unlimited family and friends being penalised with high phone costs??
    Surely loyal existing customers looking to upgrade should not be penalised due to an existing contract?
    Hi tazdogue,

I understand the prices of phones on this plan are higher. The reason for this is because you are availing of a very competitive plan.

Unfortunately it will not be possible to alter the price of the phones. I would not have access to the reason why there is a price difference between eMobile stores and Carphone warehouse.

Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tazdogue

Grainne,
    thanks for the reply.
    But  if i didnt have the family and friends option, would the price of the phones still be significantly higher??

Grainne,
    thanks for the reply.
    But  if i didnt have the family and friends option, would the price of the phones still be significantly higher??
    Hi tazdogue,

If you changed to an alternative plan yes the price of the phone would be altered.

Grainne

Grainne,

So if i was on the unlimited plan without the friends and family option i would be able to purchase a phone at a discounted rate?
    So again ill ask, if i am on the same plan (albeit availing of an eircom offer) why am i being penalised with high phone costs??
    From looking at the plans this offer has similar benefits as the current SIM only 32 euro per month, so there are cheaper options even within emobile so to justify these significant increases due to "availing of a very competitive plan" when there are cheaper options within emobile is disappointing to the loyal customers who are being driven away.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

Same issue here and when I ring up about an upgrade I'm given the hard sell on a different plan with 5g of data.
    For this friends and family plan, what is the current upgrade price of the HTC One and the new HTC One M8? 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭caper23

I also rang up this week wanting to upgrade.first i was told by customer care i could upgrade to an s4 for 129euro only to be told next day by upgrades it would be 369euro.i was then passed back to customer care only to be insulted by the guy on the phone who told me i should go and save up for a phone!! .so im on a bill pay and willing to re sign up for contract and they want to charge these mad prices to upgrade..just shows their loyalty to customers.
    I am currently awaiting a full apology from emobile fir the way i was insulted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

There is no loyalty form the networks to customers, just as there is no loyalty from customers to the networks. The simple fact is that phones cost money. They don'pt just give them away. You either pay more for the phone and less for your plan, or more for your plan and less for the phone. It's the way it's always been, unless they sell at below cost, which is unsustainable in the long term.

When i went on the offer first day i was told that any upgrade i would get in the future would be the same as anyone else on the select unlimited in regards to the phone price even those who were paying full price.
    I understand the argument that its a reduced price on the plan (even though there are comparitable cheaper version within current emobile plans so this is no longer a reduced rate) but when you are told one thing and when the time comes its changed it is annoying.
    Surely an upgrade is loyalty in itself when you stay with the same service provider?

When i went on the offer first day i was told that any upgrade i would get in the future would be the same as anyone else on the select unlimited in regards to the phone price even those who were paying full price.
    I understand the argument that its a reduced price on the plan (even though there are comparitable cheaper version within current emobile plans so this is no longer a reduced rate) but when you are told one thing and when the time comes its changed it is annoying.
    Surely an upgrade is loyalty in itself when you stay with the same service provider?
    I'm not saying that what they did or didn't say was right, and then changed their minds. However, the maths don't stack up. You said you're paying €35?. The Simonly option is €35. Now, I know there is a bit of cream in that €32 but let's say that those figures are correct.

That's a difference of €3 per month outside overages, which has to offset the cost of the upgrade. That's €36 a year, €72 for 24 month contract. That doesn't come close to  cover the cost of the phone. They can't be just giving them away. These phones are in the region of €500 to €700 for high end phones. €300 to €500 for mid range. This is the real cost to the network per phone.

Now, I alluded to the over inflated price of the SIMONLY plan, I reckon it's better placed in the region of €20 per month to cover their costs so about €15 per month to offset the price of the phone to the network. which works out at about €360 over 24 months. Still not enough to re-coup the handset cost. I believe that's the reason they are saying what they are saying.

Loyalty doesn't come into it anymore. It did a few years ago [think of O2 with their silver / gold . platinum upgrade options], but not anymore. These days, it's all about bottom line. Gone are the days of free upgrades for high end phones. It's just too damn expensive. Well, except, maybe, Three. they have been hemorrhaging money since they came to Ireland, just to get market share. It didn't work, that's why they purchased O2. They won'pt be giving away free phones soon either. They will no longer have to fight for customers the way they had to before. Actually, maybe say goodbye to AYCE data and the €20 unlimited PAYG too :)

Same issue here and when I ring up about an upgrade I'm given the hard sell on a different plan with 5g of data.
    For this friends and family plan, what is the current upgrade price of the HTC One and the new HTC One M8? 
    Hi Cyril Squirrel,

The HTC One on this plan would cost €319 and the HTC One (M8) costs €419.

I understand the price of the phone is considerably higher. The reason for this is because the plan is a subsidized and a very competitive offer.

Grainne

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Grainne. I appreciate that the phones will be expensive and the reasons why. I do wonder though, why the HTC One was€279 just a couple of weeks ago and now it's €319. I would have thought the prices would go down rather than up? For me, this just adds to the frustration!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Thanks for the reply Grainne. I appreciate that the phones will be expensive and the reasons why. I do wonder though, why the HTC One was€279 just a couple of weeks ago and now it's €319. I would have thought the prices would go down rather than up? For me, this just adds to the frustration!

I'd agree with the above point.
    I was looking to upgrade to a Nokia 925.
    It was 169 in Feb but jumped to 219 in March.
    Is there any reasonable explanation for the increase just on this plan?
    It didn't increase on other plans....

Also what is the April price now?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Sim Only plans are just one month contracts?

PeteK* wrote: »

Yes

I totally understand Cyril Squirrel,

Unfortunately I would not have access to the reason for the price increase but I will definitely pass this post onto the relevant team.

Grainne

mik_da_man wrote: »

I'd agree with the above point.
    I was looking to upgrade to a Nokia 925.
    It was 169 in Feb but jumped to 219 in March.
    Is there any reasonable explanation for the increase just on this plan?
    It didn't increase on other plans....

Also what is the April price now?
    Hi mik_da_man

The Nokia Lumia 925 costs €169 on the friends and family plan.

Grainne

Hi PeteK*,

As RangeR advised above SIM Only plan is a month by month plan. You do not receive a phone at reduced price on this plan.

Grainne

Unfortunately I would not have access to the reason for the price increase but I will definitely pass this post onto the relevant team.

Grainne

Would you come back to me when you get an answer?

Grainne

Would you come back to me when you get an answer?
    You're not going to get that answer. They can raise or lower prices as they see fit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hi mik_da_man

Grainne

Cheers.
    Glad it dropped back down.
    Bought now :)

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hi mik_da_man

Grainne

Cheers.
    Glad it dropped back down.
    Bought now :)
    No problem at all mik_da_man,

Glad to hear you bought the phone. Enjoy :)

Grainne

Grainine,

is there any chance you could post a list of the recent phone prices on the family and friends plan please?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi PeteK*

Yes that's correct, Sim only plans are one month contracts

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

How much for a s4 on a friends and family upgrade?

Could you post a list of the recent phone prices on the family and friends plan please?

Thanks

Could you post a list of the recent phone prices on the family and friends plan please?

Thanks
    Hi tazdouge,

What phones are you looking to get the price of and I will advise here.

Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KDutchie

Thanks
    Hi tazdouge,

Grainne
    I don't particularly see what the issue is with just posting the list! Surely anyone looking for a phone will base it on a combination of reasons including the price and the phone they want and will compromise on one or the other. Can you please just post a price list? 

Hi tazdouge,

Grainne

Not to hi-jack Tazdouge's request, but a pricelist would be handy for those who are not set on any one phone and might rather a choice be presented straight off. And it might be easier to put a list up than having requests over and over again from different posters for the same phones. Just a suggestion.

Hi All,

The prices of the phones on the friends and family plan are as follows:

Acer Liquid Z3 €19, Alcatel OT233 €19 Alcatel Pop C1 €19 AlcatelT'Pop €19
    Apple iPhone 4S 8GB €219, Apple iPhone 5C €419, Apple iPhone 5S 16GB €569, Apple iPhone 5S 32GB €669, Doro 606 €0, Doro 612 €19, HTC Desire 310 €19, HTC Desire 601 €119, HTC One €319, HTC One (M8) €419, HTC One Mini €169, Huawei Y300 €19, Huawei Y530 €19, LG Nexus 5 €219, Motorola G €19, Nokia 100 €19, Nokia 106 €19, Nokia 113 €19, Nokia 208 €19, Nokia 515 €0, Nokia Lumia 520 €19, Nokia Lumia 625 €29, Nokia Lumia 925 €169, Samsung C3520 €19, Samsung Coconut E1195 €19, Samsung Galaxy Ace III €49, Samsung Galaxy Core 4G €119, Samsung Galaxy Express €149, Samsung Galaxy Fame €19, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 €539, Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo €19, Samsung Galaxy S 4 €369, Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini €169, Sony Xperia E €0, Sony Xperia E1 €19, Sony Xperia M €49, Sony Xperia SP €69, Sony Xperia Z1 €269, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact €269

Grainne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

When the upgrade issue first arose around November/December of last year, the reason for higher prices was 'time of year' and 'they will probably come down after Christmas'. Of course, they didn't come down, and mow eMobile change their tune to 'highly competitive deal' etc. 

A bit of honesty from the start wouldn't go amiss. 

I get the feeling things are leaning towards buying your own phone and using sim-only deals from now on. 

Advertisement