Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy games from now?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Outside of the obvious - download them from Steam/Xbox/PSN. I was in Dublin City Centre yesterday and decided to pick up FFX HD on the Vita - a pretty high profile title - but yet none of Gamestop, Smyths or HMV had it. Indeed they no longer seem to carry much of anything outside of the latest AAA releases. I have in the past, bought games from Play.com and amazon but they always seemed to be hit and miss with delivery times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have in the past, bought games from Play.com and amazon but they always seemed to be hit and miss with delivery times.
    I'm complete converted to steam now. Playing PC games meant I lost the option of buying hard copies in shops years ago. I tried Play.com but you wouldn't want to be in a rush getting anything off them.

Now I'll use the likes of G2play if there's a new game I want to get (I wouldn't buy a new title on steam, they're too expensive) otherwise I get games in steam sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Pretty much what he said. In Galway there are no shops with a selection of PC games, and its always cheaper to get them online anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

None of the major shops can be bothered stocking PC games (in any selection) so I dont bother buying them there.
    Steam or Origin mainly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cd-key webistes and Steam. If for Console, then Amazon if not in the rush, but if I want it on launch, I just bend over, lube up and take it in from gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Steam, G2play.net and GreenManGaming.com

In saying that, I'm looking for a copy of one of the newer Tony Hawks skater games for the PS3, but no joy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've not purchased a physical game since August 2012, when PC World had their big clearout. I've been gifted a few since then, but they came from Amazon.

When HMV closed I lost interest in browsing shops like I used to. They seem full of second hand games now anyway, which I'm not interested in.

I remember the good old days when you could walk around the likes of the Blanchardstown Centre and browse Currys, PC World, Virgin/Zavvi, GAME, HMV, Smyths, Xtravision, and Harvey Norman. Even Tesco was viable at one stage. Now, in the good new days (:p) there's Steam, GOG, Amazon (UK for physical, US for digital), Xbox Marketplace, PSN, etc. etc. A sale is always on the horizon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ebay sellers and playasia is where I mostly get my games. playasia have stupidly good sales on every tuesday if you don't mind waiting a month for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Amazon and Steam for me. I'd quite like to browse a shop but all there is now is Gamestop and the ghost of HMV, and Gamestop just stick to RRP or RRP-€5 for second hand, so there's no point even looking.

I miss going into Game on Dawson Street and coming home with a bargain or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the_syco wrote: »
    Steam, G2play.net and GreenManGaming.com

In saying that, I'm looking for a copy of one of the newer Tony Hawks skater games for the PS3, but no joy so far.

for physical media try one of these
    http://www.gamestracker.com/
    http://www.billybargain.co.uk/
    http://www.find-game.co.uk/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I buy from Adverts (glob help me), Gamestop, CEX and mostly from Ebay now.
    The Marketplace on Arcade&Retro is good for some more niche stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cd-key webistes and Steam. If for Console, then Amazon if not in the rush, but if I want it on launch, I just bend over, lube up and take it in from gamestop.

No lube offered to me when I bought Dark Souls 2 off of them, just a dry root up the jacksie, it was terrible....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

No lube offered to me when I bought Dark Souls 2 off of them, just a dry root up the jacksie, it was terrible....

Yup, same here. Had to fork out 60eu for damn thing. A bit sickening when I know, that I can preorder it already for PC ( superior version ) at 19.99£...

Well, its still a good game, no regrets. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yup. Due to DS2 delayed PC release it was a case of getting bent over a barrel with GameStop and every single one of their tired sales pitches.

I felt dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Usually Steam, Kinguin, GreenManGaming or Amazon.com

I find kinguin or fast2play are usually cheaper than G2Play. I bought from G2Play before knowing about Kinguin. GreenManGaming can be good for new releases at times as they may be a teeny bit cheaper elsewhere but then allow you to use a 20-25% off code that knocks the price down a fair bit.

Amazon at times are phenomenal for deals, recently they had the Bioshock Triple pack for €8 and I bought Elder Scrolls GOTY Editions for €3.50 a piece at one point. I also got Hitman Absolution for €2 and the Darkness 2 for €2 months ago from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Steam, Amazon.com and Humble Bundles for PC and Android games.

Now that I also have a Wii U I've only bought games from Amazon.co.uk. No interest in buying anything in a brick-n-mortar shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

steam and adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Still buy the odd boxed copy from Amazon when the price is right. More and more now buying steam keys though. I have played some great games over the past couple of years I still wouldnt have yet bought, because of cheap keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Steam, GOG, and occasionally amazon/ebay/play and the like for hard-copies. I rarely buy anything in bricks & mortar shops anymore; the exception being some of the second-hand & retro game shops that I find in the likes of Sheffield, Glasgow, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭megaten

Pretty much just amazon unless I'm desperate to play something on release. Gamestop can feck off with their €50 3DS games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Symths or amazon. Won't be giving gamestop my money again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Similarly I goto Smyth's for physical media, they may not have all of the games but they have enough and the text service is handy to pre-order, just once you don't forget and are close to the store...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Videogamesplus.ca is where I buy from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Am trying not to deal with Gamestop as I have had nothing but trouble from most of the stores in the past year, I pick up stuff in CeX and HMV/Xtravision and Smyths. Very difficult buying vita stuff as Gamestop are the only ones that seem to stock rpgs. Argos have got some good 3DS stuff in but by the gods their prices are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

videogamesplus.ca or Amazon for a hard copy or directly off the American Playstation Network. Gamestop, Smyths etc. take the piss with their prices and I refuse to give them a cent anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Adverts or PSN/Xbox Live sales. Apart from Christmas time, I never pay full price for a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I usually only buy a game in store these days if there is some sort of additional physical content that comes with it (map, literature or whatever) but otherwise I almost exclusively buy online through Steam / Origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I like having games on Steam, but the prices for stuff not on sale are stupid.
    So for new games I use simplygames.com and greenmangaming.com

I make sure to buy the items that include a Steam code so I can activate it and keep it in my library. Simplygames (or simplycdkeys) can look a bit dodgy, but every purchase I've made worked, you also dont end up with Russian-only copies. Got South park for €30, Dark Souls 2 for £20, both with Steam keys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Gotham wrote: »
    I like having games on Steam, but the prices for stuff not on sale are stupid.
    So for new games I use simplygames.com and greenmangaming.com

Yeah, I find myself waiting for sales more and more before I make a purchase or else looking at the likes of G2Play when looking to buy a new game. Nice to have the opportunity to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

For physical copies I refuse to buy in Ireland, Amazon is my go-to place. The markup on console games and pc games is robbery in Gamestop, (Xtravision aren't far behind either), when I can get the same thing online (at the same release date) for ~€20 less every single time.

Download I normally check Reddit Game Deals daily if I can. Some really excellent bargains pop up from time to time (both physical and digital). For example: Picked up bioshock 2 for just over €3 as a steam key. Got thief (the very first game) gold for free because of that site (amazon.com were giving it away when you used a code from en external site) and many more amazing deals I've cashed in on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Recently enough I've started playing a few games on pc but kinda have a question on buying off some sites like fast2play and alike.
    Some of their game listings are down as steam gifts,which are usually slightly cheaper than the steam download versions.
    In them they have instructions on how to redeem them but at the top there is a warning
    "The Store is not responsible for any issues regarding STEAM GIFTS. There is a risk of being banned by STEAM for selling and/or purchasing STEAM GIFTS. Please remember you are doing it at your own risk!

So I presume its advisable to veer away from these?

Advertisement