Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This Right Pricing

Options
  • 01-04-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi everyone

We are buying a house in Dublin 12 area its almost complete in sale. We were thinking to extend the house on side as it has 6ft by 18ft long so wanted to build double storey nothing fancy just two more rooms, which doesn't need anything in there only room construction joining to old construction . And in back kitchen extension.

We were coated 55-70 thousand to just build on side and probably 10k for initial house work so they can be joined and architect at 14-16% charge for looking after it and Planning permission and all other stuff extra. Approx 1750 per meter.

this doesn't include construction in back for kitchen.

Can some one please tell how much for kitchen extension if not including the kitchen material only room construction with velux window appox 7ft x 25 long

I thought construction on average is 100 per sq ft???

Sorry its my first post.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

lovehathi wrote: »
    Hi everyone

We are buying a house in Dublin 12 area its almost complete in sale. We were thinking to extend the house on side as it has 6ft by 18ft long so wanted to build double storey nothing fancy just two more rooms, which doesn't need anything in there only room construction joining to old construction . And in back kitchen extension.

We were coated 55-70 thousand to just build on side and probably 10k for initial house work so they can be joined and architect at 14-16% charge for looking after it and Planning permission and all other stuff extra. Approx 1750 per meter.

this doesn't include construction in back for kitchen.

Can some one please tell how much for kitchen extension if not including the kitchen material only room construction with velux window appox 7ft x 25 long

I thought construction on average is 100 per sq ft???

Sorry its my first post.

Just maybe 100per sqft if your building a 4000sqft McMansion. Easily your figure for what your planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

So that means 1750 is non negotiable price, but i was calculating 20 sq meter for it became 30-40 sq meter in his calculation i don't know .

so for small extension it is 1750 per meter??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So that means 1750 is non negotiable price, but i was calculating 20 sq meter for it became 30-40 sq meter in his calculation i don't know .

so for small extension it is 1750 per meter??

Hold on there. your adding 2 + 2 and getting 5. Your asking about 'rules of thumb' when building small extensions in Dublin. I'm simple pointing out that 100sqft figure is no where near accurate for what your doing, In my opinion, in my experience. Think McMansion and 'economies of scale' ..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....so for small extension it is 1750 per meter??

Probably...if not more. As Bryan alludes to builders do not price work on a per sq.ft. basis...costs per sq.ft. are just rule of thumb...builders will price the job (as a whole) on the basis of the design, materials, complexity, access, etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Thanks for everyone reply, i was asking to just make sure i have enough funds before i start the work . and not getting surplus money borrowed than nedeed.

secondly we would be staying in house and while the planning permission and rest comes it will be nearly two months. can we stay in the house during the extension as its on side and back and they have side access to the site.

As it would be hard for us to go on rent and extra cost on over mortgage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I would strongly advise that you engage an architect before you go any further.A good architect will for a small initial fee suggest what is possible , suggest "rule of thumb" costs and outline the pre . and during construction phases.After that you could discuss with them any further requirements and accurate costs.

Advertisement