Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplicate file detection and deletion

Options
  • 01-04-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help me out. Ive got hundreds, maybe thousands of files, mainly images that ive built up over the years that I had backed up. Being a bit lazy, I never really stuck to one regime of creating back ups so now i have many back ups with different files in each in a couple of locations. The sheer number of files now makes it difficult to manually sort it so im looking for a program to do the following.

Look in folders I specify and any files names with the same name are presented to me. If they are the same file (its mainly images that I have) i can delete one and carry on, it they are different then allow me to rename it.

I know windows has something like this but I want it to search within folders and sub folders

Anyone know a program that can do some or all of that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

wobbles wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help me out. Ive got hundreds, maybe thousands of files, mainly images that ive built up over the years that I had backed up. Being a bit lazy, I never really stuck to one regime of creating back ups so now i have many back ups with different files in each in a couple of locations. The sheer number of files now makes it difficult to manually sort it so im looking for a program to do the following.

Look in folders I specify and any files names with the same name are presented to me. If they are the same file (its mainly images that I have) i can delete one and carry on, it they are different then allow me to rename it.

I know windows has something like this but I want it to search within folders and sub folders

Anyone know a program that can do some or all of that?

I have used Auslogics Duplicate File Finder and it's pretty good. There's a specific photo duplicate finder called Duplicate Photo Cleaner which does a better scan of photos. CCleaner has a built in duplicate finder too.
    Be aware that some of the tools won't scan cloud storage locations for duplicate files.

Advertisement