Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona vs Club Atlético de Madrid tonight 7.45 p.m SS1

• 01-04-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

As far as I'm concerned the only uncertainty in the other tie is whether Moyes will be sacked after the second leg. So I'm watching this. The last 3 ties between these sides ended in tense compelling draws. Chess games is probably the best way to describe them. Barca cautious of Atleti on the counter. Atleti' cautious of Barca's balls in behind the fullbacks.

Barcelona: Pinto; Alves, Mascherano, Piqué, Jordi Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Fábregas; Iniesta, Neymar, Messi.

Atletico Madrid: Courtois; Juanfran, Godín, Miranda, Filipe Luis; Gabi, Tiago; Koke, Arda Turan; Villa, Diego Costa.

Doubts about Diego Costa were probably just an April Fool. Least, as an neutral I hope that is the case. He's as important to Atleti as Messi is to Barca. The loss of Valdes is huge. Cannot be understated. It's far easier to press Barcelona with Pinto in goals. He's just not the same passer as Valdes is. Neymar is probably the only controversial decision among Barca fans. Both Sanchez and Pedro provide way better defensive cover and effort in pressing than Neymar does. Gabi is probably the most underrated midfielder this season. He's been immense for Atleti this season. He'd walk into any World Cup Squad except Spain apparently. So, hoping very much that he has really good game. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

IDiego Costa & Pique out already :(

Not necessarily on about CL, but it'll be a huge blow to Atletico's season if he is out..

Pique being out is also a huge loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bartra playing brilliantly though. Himself and pique will make some partnership. Villa should have scored though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Costa injury is a blow to Atletico, though so is Pique picking up an injury. Bartra has been excellent since he's come on. Extremely tight game, both sides pressing well and the contrast in styles when both teams have the ball is making for an entirely enjoyable scoreless draw. As the half wore on, Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas began to weave their magic.

Jernal wrote: »
    Bartra playing brilliantly though. Himself and pique will make some partnership. Villa should have scored though.

Oh I agree! But Pique has been a revitalised player this season. Focused for most of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bartra has been immense. Atletico missing Costa but I think he was playing injured anyways so not much a loss tonight.

• Advertisement

I miss Valdes.

What a strike by Diego. Cracker of a game.

This game is so good due to the German referee not giving half as much of the soft fouls as the Spanish refs would. Really, really enjoying it.

Cracker of a shot. Martino needs to be in manager mode right noew & bring on Alexis/Pedro.

Ohhhhhh in the big games there is no finer than Andres Iniesta, it's a peach of a pass, footballing poetry, the pass, the run and finish of Neymar, it's poetry and Iniesta is Yeats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Iniesta is a genius.

That referee has some bone to pick wit Iniesta tonight.

Great result for Atletico. Absolute cracker of a game and it's set up perfectly for the Calderon next Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Gutsy performance by Atleti. Would love them to pull this off.

What a cracker of a game ahead at the Calderon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great game. Second leg will be amazing.

Miles better than the festering dirge of a game on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Very predictable game ;) Two brilliant sides and the game didn't stop for a second. Next week will be another cracker.

Another 1-1 draw next week and we'll have a penalty shootout.:cool: Fantastic performance by Atleti Costa such such a huge loss. Valdes may have saved that goal. Courtois made some fantastic saves. Overall, I think Barca probably deserved to win. In that second half Aleti were clinging on.
    Cracking tie, really looking forward to next week. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta's:cool: pass or Diego's strike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

dfx- wrote: »
    Iniesta's:cool: pass or Diego's strike...

Diego's strike without a doubt. Inesta's pass was precise but Diego's shot was just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That Atletico goal! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I'm a Barca fan but still let a scream when this went in. Outstanding strike.

itMB0VHnRccIB.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

monkey9 wrote: »
    That Atletico goal! :eek:

I have watched it 10 times now and it is a phenomenal strike.

And Courtois is some keeper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Highlights just starting on ITV now for those who watched the other game.

BkKnrS5CMAAkK32.jpg:large

Courtois beast!

Advertisement