Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to make Porridge taste nice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I have heard that. I was looking at it in tablets and they worked out quite expensive, its around €10 for 200 tablets and you take 6 a day so it adds up. The powder might be an option though. You can either just drink it or mix it with soft food

You'll probably need to invest in a pair of rubber gloves and some industrial strength bleach as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Bananas and berries are a good choice, the banana really gives it a sweet flavour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You'll probably need to invest in a pair of rubber gloves and some industrial strength bleach as well.

That's too many to take then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When the water charges come the husk eaters are screwed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I cook it on hob, with 1 part porridge oats (the big bags are FAR more economical than the cylindrical drum...and I find Dunnes or Aldi just as good as Flahavans, for about half the price), 1 part skimmed milk and 2 parts water. Only takes a few minutes.

But the reason for my post is to agree that dried prunes work well in it - I've opted for them because they are convenient and add sweetness and interest - but of course they are a cure for constipation also. They keep for ages in the fridge.

I buy a tub or bag of dried prunes in Lidl or Aldi, keep them in the fridge, and cut up about 3 or 4 - with a scissors, it's far easier! - and put them in the porridge.
    Blueberries or other fruit go nicely with the prunes, and I put a bit of honey on top.

Have been neglecting to do the porridge in the past month or so - the ideas on here will help me get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

For me, 1/2 cup of porridge oats, 1 1/2 cups water with a dash of milk, pinch of salt, and few pinches of cinnamon and the tiniest amount of dried ginger (gingammon ? 4 parts cinnamon, 1 part dried ginger). Everything's put in a small non-stick pan, brought to the boil, and left simmer gently until it reaches the consistency I like. At that point I add a handful of chopped dried cranberries, a dollop of apple sauce, a grated apple, and a small splash or two of maple syrup. Throw all that into porridge in the pan to mix, tip it all into a warmed bowl and enjoy.

Previously I've liked to add blueberries (frozen, added to the porridge several minutes before the porridge is done), or flaked almonds. In the past I've also made up my own seed mix from equal parts sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, hemp and flax, all ground up and mixed together. The basic porridge formula is simply the oats, water with dash of milk, salt, and maple syrup to sweeten - that's the base for whatever else I add.

If you're wondering why I use a non-stick pan, its to minimise cleaning afterwards. I find porridge on the hob has a different texture from microwaved porridge, and cooking the porridge in a small non-stick pan that is deep enough to hold the porridge, allows me to pour some water into the pan before I eat, and clean the pan in ten seconds when I am finished. The wide bottom and surface area of the pan also mean that the porridge cooks very quickly, coming to the boil within minutes, and then simmering for about 3/ 4/ 5 mins to reach the consistency I like.

The dash of milk I find essential by the way, adding just the smallest bit of creaminess to the porridge that a porridge made with just water lacks, and without the gumminess of a porridge made with a decent quantity of milk. The heated bowl is simply achieved by pouring boiling water into the bowl a few minutes before the porridge is done, and then discarded when the bowl is warmed.

All the above probably sounds slightly convoluted/ complicated, but with porridge I find we all just find what we like, something that's usually a combination of trial and error. Equally, once in the porridge habit every morning, whipping everything up takes little time I find, and from mixing the oats to eating them, I find takes about 8/ 10 mins. If really caught for time, microwaving is definitely an option, but you will need to add less water, and checking every so often and giving a stir, I find helps avoiding your porridge spiralling over the sides of your bowl. If you've never tried porridge on the hob though, you should, as microwaved porridge leaves the porridge tasting a little sponge-y in my experience.

Oh, for any porridge you have left over, even just the scraps you clean off your pan, birds and other types of animals seem to love it. The cleaned scraps from my pan go out in the back garden every day, and within minutes usually have been devoured :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I love my porridge - best filler-upper-til-lunchtime by far. I make mine with water (1 cup jumbo flakes + 1 cup water - 2 1/2 mins in the microwave) then I throw in some of this:Blas_na_hEieann_2012_PD_new.jpg
    for crunch, taste and fibre, a teaspoon of sugar and in a good splash of milk - yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

30g- 40g of oats and a big spoon of peanut butter into the microwave to soften for 30s. Add a soft banana and mash into a pulp. Add milk and Nutella microwave for a minute or so. Nomnomnom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What do people think is the healthiest brand of porridge out there? I use of odlums organic porridge oats, but just wondering if there maybe a less processed option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yakuza42 wrote: »
    Peanut butter (natural if you can, or at least 90% peanut content) is awesome, I mix it in when Im heating my oats in a saucepan with some skimmed milk.

Tried peanut butter in my porridge this morning. Really good :) Nice change from my usual frozen berries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I've started eating Weetabix as a first step then might try adding the seeds before moving onto porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

There are cheap alternatives to linwoods in Lidl or aldi someone just posted that on one of my threads! I always have apple+ tsp of cinnamon with my porride all cooked together. And basically any fruit chopped with yogurt and honey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It has to be made on lowfat milk and a bit of water on the hob. I measure by eye so everyday is a different consistency. I like cinnamon, milled linseed, a few sunflower seeds and raisins. Maybe some apricots too. My 3 year old likes honey in his aswell. My 11 month old eats off my spoon so no honey for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I cook it on hob, with 1 part porridge oats (the big bags are FAR more economical than the cylindrical drum...and I find Dunnes or Aldi just as good as Flahavans, for about half the price), 1 part skimmed milk and 2 parts water. Only takes a few minutes.

But the reason for my post is to agree that dried prunes work well in it - I've opted for them because they are convenient and add sweetness and interest - but of course they are a cure for constipation also. They keep for ages in the fridge.

I buy a tub or bag of dried prunes in Lidl or Aldi, keep them in the fridge, and cut up about 3 or 4 - with a scissors, it's far easier! - and put them in the porridge.
    Blueberries or other fruit go nicely with the prunes, and I put a bit of honey on top.

Have been neglecting to do the porridge in the past month or so - the ideas on here will help me get back on track.

If you do get suckered into buying the drum, keep it and top up with the bag of porridge next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

Something I do when I don't feel like having warm porridge is to just mix oats with some sort of flavoured yoghurt.. Last night I was watching a movie and had oats mixed with pineapple, mango and orange (I think) yoghurt.. nice treat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Organic coconut flour, ground almonds

Advertisement