Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent while working on Dublin 1?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello there!

I'll be moving in 1 or 2 months to Dublin and I'm having a hard time finding out where to live, I've been checking some websites (Specially daft.ie) but identifying a good place is kind of hard.

My rental budget is 700-900 based on my initial investigation of prices (studio, or 1 bedroom is just fine, furnished), and I'll be working near Sheriff St in Dublin 1.

I won't have a car at first so I'll like to rely on public transportation to get to work (I can bike as well =D ). I don't really mind spending some time in transportation (30 min. max maybe?) if that gives me a better option.

Finally, I'm thinking that I'll like a place where I can go out and run in the mornings and also has an easy access to the city.

I'm from Costa Rica so you can imagine that it is quite an adventure and it is certainly difficult to make a choice :).

I'm just looking for some initial advice, at this point I'm not even sure if I should decide between going to the North or to the South :confused:

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate all your help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You will be working quite central so should have plenty of choices. Stoneybatter is walking distance and you're also near Phoenix Park. If you would consider sharing you should have change from €700.

On the southside, Ranelagh and Rathmines are both walking distance -although a bit longer. Anywhere on the DART line should also be fine and leave you at Connolly Station which is right near Sheriff St

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jvillalta

Great! that's a good start! that narrows my options! :) Is there a difference between going north or south of dublin 1? For now I'll look in those 3 places and along the DART line and see how that goes!

More suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks a lot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

jvillalta wrote: »
    Great! that's a good start! that narrows my options! :) Is there a difference between going north or south of dublin 1? For now I'll look in those 3 places and along the DART line and see how that goes!

More suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks a lot! :)
    North side will likely be cheaper :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Daith

Glasnevin/Drumcondra/Phibsborough might be ideal, easy to walk to Dub 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It may be difficult to find a place from abroad. Generally you will need to meet the landlord/agent and view the apartment before they will let it to you. Demand in the city centre is very high at the moment.

Anywhere on the DART line or Red Luas line would be fine if you are working in Sheriff Street. Alternatively Fairview/Clontarf will give you easy bus links. If you want to live closer than that you need to be wary about the area as there are a few bad spots close by. Avoid Marlborough Street (or any street off O'Connell Street, Summer Hill, Bally bough, Gardiner Street, East Wall (parts), Sheriff Street, Seville Place.

My general rule of thumb is to draw a line down O'Connell Street and another one down the Liffey. Avoid the top right area other than the IFSC and docklands. Other areas are on a case by case basis.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It may be difficult to find a place from abroad. Generally you will need to meet the landlord/agent and view the apartment before they will let it to you. Demand in the city centre is very high at the moment.

Anywhere on the DART line or Red Luas line would be fine if you are working in Sheriff Street. Alternatively Fairview/Clontarf will give you easy bus links. If you want to live closer than that you need to be wary about the area as there are a few bad spots close by. Avoid Marlborough Street (or any street off O'Connell Street, Summer Hill, Bally bough, Gardiner Street, East Wall (parts), Sheriff Street, Seville Place.

My general rule of thumb is to draw a line down O'Connell Street and another one down the Liffey. Avoid the top right area other than the IFSC and docklands. Other areas are on a case by case basis.

Mmmm, Clontarf is lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I was going to suggest East Wall (where I live) as being very close to Sheriff Street. I wouldn't class it as somewhere you need to avoid. Rents are not too high, and there are enough amenities closeby (shopping, beach in Clontarf etc).

I live right in the centre, nearer to the luas line than not, and have not experienced anything bad in 2.5 years.

This is awesome! Thanks so much for all your input!

Hey Pawwed Rig, that's a great suggestion, I'll probably stay in a hotel for 15 days +/- so that I can go and see the places by myself and decide properly.

I've created a map with all the suggestions, believe it or not, it was hard to find out what the DART routes are! hehe, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Where to rent in Dublin!

You will be working quite central so should have plenty of choices. Stoneybatter is walking distance and you're also near Phoenix Park.

I wouldn't call stoneybatter "within walking distance" to sherriff st. It is on the luas line though.

If you were to opt for places like Marino, clontarf, raheny, killester.... They are all on good public transport links and close to public parks. Also easier to cycle to Dublin 1.

I wouldn't call stoneybatter "within walking distance" to sherriff st. It is on the luas line though.

If you were to opt for places like Marino, clontarf, raheny, killester.... They are all on good public transport links and close to public parks. Also easier to cycle to Dublin 1.

Having lived in Stoneybatter for nearly 10 years and walked to everywhere in town, it is. It may take 30 minutes, but that's not unreasonable when it can take just as long on public transport - much longer in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I live in Glasnevin and work in Dublin 1 its a nice walk in takes about 40 minutes from where I live to Capel St. Rathmines would be about the same length walk and a nicer area looking at moving there myself! Competition for places there is pretty stiff though. If you are looking for somewhere very close then Smithfield is worth looking at.

Having lived in Stoneybatter for nearly 10 years and walked to everywhere in town, it is. It may take 30 minutes, but that's not unreasonable when it can take just as long on public transport - much longer in traffic.

Fair enough, but 30 mins+ is not what most people would consider walking distance. Especially when the luas would take ten minutes, max.

Im not denying stoneybatter is a great location (Mulligans is probably in the top 5 pubs in the city), but walking distance is a bit of a stretch.

Fair enough, but 30 mins+ is not what most people would consider walking distance. Especially when the luas would take ten minutes, max.

Im not denying stoneybatter is a great location (Mulligans is probably in the top 5 pubs in the city), but walking distance is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not trying to be smart, as I do agree with you to a certain extent, but that really isn't a long walk. I used to walk 45 minutes every day to baggot street bridge. It was a great way to start the day. It meant I could leave home at 8:15 and be in work by 9 and meant I got some "fresh" air and exercise as well and it was free. On the odd days I drove, if I wasn't in the car by 7:30, it was a nightmare. And that was 10 years ago, it's worse now.

Mulligans is definitely a boost to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Replicate

Guess you're here by now so hope you've found somewhere to live! If not then some advise below...

If you're working in the IFSC then I'd definitely recommend East Wall. I used to work in the Commerzbank building and it took me 15 min to walk. I have lived here for six years and never had a problem and I'm a foreigner too. :)

Still not there! but I should be there in a couple of days!!

Thanks Replicate, I'll certainly take that into consideration since it will take just a couple of minutes to get to the office from East Wall!

Advertisement