Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chainsaw to buy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Two unhelpful associations here:

Firstly, Hyundai is not a Chinese company- It is South Korean, and produces some very good, if bland, cars etc.

Where did i say Hyundai was a chinese company, i said the hyundai chainsaw is a rebranded zenoah.
    Secondly, whilst I know nothing abt. the quality of their saws, Zenoah is Japanese, NOT Chinese.

I need to do my research better on that, always thought they were chinese.
    Just because something comes from the Far East doesn't mean that it is automatically rubbish!

I along with alot of other people with years of operating/servicing and repairing have yet to use a chainsaw that came from the far east that was any good, I never judged any of them to any pro stihl or husqvarna, I judged them to home owners saws to which most of the far east stuff claims it is, saying that i have seen them with pro stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The older all metal Echo were a good Japanese saw. Makita branded saws now built in Germany , having bought Sachs Dolmar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I need to do my research better on that, always thought they were chinese.

They are firmly in bed with Husqvarna, to boot:

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=880921

Echo, Shindaiwa, Zenoah, all make quality saws for professional service. I have used a ported Echo in logging without any issues. Since at least one Zenoah is rebranded as a Husqvarna, saying they aren't up to Husqvarna quality is a bit disingenuous. Both Stihl and Husqvarna make plasticky nearly junk 'homeowner' lines of saws that I wouldn't bother repairing, if I had the choice, let alone using for any sort of work, pro or not.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/professional-chainsaws/543-xp/

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/62311-zenoah-4300-543xp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Husky actually bought into Komatsu-Zenoah to get their Strato tech.
    Not long after that Husky bought out their first Strato saws.
    In my experience most Japanese saws are pretty good, some are better than others performance wise but in terms of build quality they are very solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

Hi in the same boat here my stihl 310 finally gave up the ghost after 10 years labour so looking at a stihl 391 demo for 600 or a husky 362xp for 600 plus vat. Stihl has 20' bar husky 24'. I've always had stihl but local tree surgeon who always had stihl has gone to husqvarna and says the difference is unreal. Thoughts???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Don't do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My local TS got a 362xp and reckons its an animal.
    Very light on juice as well which makes a difference over a days cutting.
    I have its daddy the 262xpg which is still pretty grunty for a near vintage saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

was reading this as an AMA(18" bar , no timber thicker than 15" to cut) i purchased just stops cutting , bar heats up and chains stops completely, cant figure out what to do, waste of money, thinking of purchasing something for handy use, can't figure what

sandydan wrote: »
    was reading this as an AMA(18" bar , no timber thicker than 15" to cut) i purchased just stops cutting , bar heats up and chains stops completely, cant figure out what to do, waste of money, thinking of purchasing something for handy use, can't figure what

There are alot of saws on donedeal at the moment, older husqvarnas and stihls from the good era.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

Looking at the husky 435 on offer at the moment at €325 . Anybody any opinions on it before I hand over some cash tomorrow at the ploughing ??

• Advertisement

pollocks wrote: »
    Looking at the husky 435 on offer at the moment at €325 . Anybody any opinions on it before I hand over some cash tomorrow at the ploughing ??

It will be a grand saw for occasional use for cutting firewood etc, try and get it with a 13 inch bar, any bigger imo will only deaden it.

It will be a grand saw for occasional use for cutting firewood etc, try and get it with a 13 inch bar, any bigger imo will only deaden it.

Yeah that's all I intend to use it for. I've a few fallen trees around the farm need tidying up.

pollocks wrote: »
    Yeah that's all I intend to use it for. I've a few fallen trees around the farm need tidying up.

That saw will do nicely, its a good deal too. Push them to throw in some oil etc to sweeten the deal more.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

is the chain being oiled?neighbour had a tanaka saw with an Oregon bar, chain used to do the same as you describe oil wasn't getting to the chain even though he cut grooves to the bar oil holes.

That saw will do nicely, its a good deal too. Push them to throw in some oil etc to sweeten the deal more.

They are throwing in €100 worth of freebies: gloves, fuel and oil combi can and a litre of aspen fuel. It's a good offer alright.

case956tom wrote: »
    is the chain being oiled?neighbour had a tanaka saw with an Oregon bar, chain used to do the same as you describe oil wasn't getting to the chain even though he cut grooves to the bar oil holes.

well what i do to check is rev saw and face chain at wall and oil is definitely spattering off it , its going out of reservoir but that would/could be just leaking so i check against wall. needs fill of oil same time as petrol, maybe bar is too long is see advice given that long bar deadens saw , mine is 18". oregan chain/ some one suggested getting self or auto sharpening chain, anyone got an opinion on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

well what i do to check is rev saw and face chain at wall and oil is definitely spattering off it , its going out of reservoir but that would/could be just leaking so i check against wall. needs fill of oil same time as petrol, maybe bar is too long is see advice given that long bar deadens saw , mine is 18". oregan chain/ some one suggested getting self or auto sharpening chain, anyone got an opinion on that.
    18" bar is long enough for anything. Learned that meself this year

Reggie. wrote: »
    18" bar is long enough for anything. Learned that meself this year

im wondering is it too long ,new saw ama €280,quoted while ago. comes now with 16" Oregan bar and chain,fella i spoke to recons chain sharpener/grinder unless very careful reddens teeth and destroys temper ,said a blade of grass is enough to destroy edge in that case. sells stihl as well but reckoned hiring man to cut timber would be better without good amount of work at price.

im wondering is it too long ,new saw ama €280,quoted while ago. comes now with 16" Oregan bar and chain,fella i spoke to recons chain sharpener/grinder unless very careful reddens teeth and destroys temper ,said a blade of grass is enough to destroy edge in that case. sells stihl as well but reckoned hiring man to cut timber would be better without good amount of work at price.
    Yeah I've an am a. A right little saw

Yeah I've an am a. A right little saw

is it working fine, no issues. how new

• Advertisement

If they are the 45cc ama a 13 inch bar is plenty long enough.

If they are the 45cc ama a 13 inch bar is plenty long enough.

This is my one

is it working fine, no issues. how new

No bother. Now only worked it a few days since I got it and no issues. The carb (I think it is) will give bother in a while. The dealer said that it will be hard to start. I've to bring it back then and he'll sort it out for me but depends how much ya use it for the issue to surface. Very easy started tho. First time it was started there this morning in about 10 weeks and started on the third pull

This is my one

I would get a smaller bar for it if it were me, 18 is too big an ask for a 45cc saw and the 2.5hp its putting out. I thought they were driving a 3/8 piccco chain although your bar says .325.

I would get a smaller bar for it if it were me, 18 is too big an ask for a 45cc saw and the 2.5hp its putting out. I thought they were driving a 3/8 piccco chain although your bar says .325.

Not well up on saws but all I know is that it's well able to cut through timber around the length of the bar. Now I wouldn't be cutting huge amount of timber here tho

Not well up on saws but all I know is that it's well able to cut through timber around the length of the bar. Now I wouldn't be cutting huge amount of timber here tho

mine was not fitted with oregan chain or bar, i fitted chain not oregan bar.
    my one was cutting fine for good bit but slowly started heating and sticking , getting worse, i know salesman told me oregan chain and bars are fitted to new ones. maybe that makes big difference,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Have you checked whether it is oiling the chain? It isn't uncommon for oil pumps to seize, especially of very thick chain oil is left in thenm for a long time.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Have you checked whether it is oiling the chain? It isn't uncommon for oil pumps to seize, especially of very thick chain oil is left in thenm for a long time.
    well i rev saw and put chain near wall and oil goes on wall, as well oil empties as often as petrol tank, took off chain and bar while ago am waiting for salesman to get back to me with price of new bar and clutch and chain, new saw is €280 but he recons saw is serviceable so pricing parts for me. brake is releasing , is there a sure way of knowing if clutch needs replacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Why does he say you need a new clutch? Does the saw before drying out and overheating cut?

• Advertisement

Is there an adjustable oil pump in the saw to slow down the rate as the oil may be used before the petrol?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement