Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Volunteer Work - suggestions?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have been thinking about getting involved in some volunteer work but not sure where to start. I work full-time so I only have weekday evenings to help out, but not sure what the city-based options for evening volunteer work would be. Anyone got any suggestions/ideas? No particular type of work in mind at the moment. Open to ideas :-)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Simon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

can you cut grass?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Samaritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Cheers for those. Hadn't thought of Simon. Considered the Samaritans alright, but not sure it's the right time for me for a role like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Volunteer Ireland

Fantastic site, you can search for volunteering options by County, Cause and Activity.

I am planning to throw myself into this when I finish my night classes and when my full-time job stops demanding so much of my time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TOMO666

Foróige Youth Organisation have a lot of youth projects around around the city, if its youths you would be interested in working. They have a good web site http://www.foroige.ie/ of Ring Heron House, Blackpool, 021-4308915 They are always looking for Volunteers. Depending on your skills, experience, where you live etc. & what you want to get out of it, depends on where you should be placed. Good luck. If you need another info ring the Cork office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

kaki wrote: »
    Volunteer Ireland

Fantastic site, you can search for volunteering options by County, Cause and Activity.

I am planning to throw myself into this when I finish my night classes and when my full-time job stops demanding so much of my time :D

They are good and not so good. A lot of the places never bother coming back to you. Think out of 7 I got one that was nearly a year later.. Watch out for the time waster who puts ones up for homework help with the travelling community down by Mahon.. Not worth it she doesnt even show up or answer her phone

Oddly enough it is harder to volunteer for work around Cork. I remember trying lots of places and walked away disheartened because I was told no...

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Adult literacy teaching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Better yet Cork Volunteer Centre. If you have a particular thing you're passionate about (animal welfare, homelessness etc.) you could always try approaching the charities directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Simon.

+1 for Simon. Great organisation, fair play for getting involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Cheers all for some helpful suggestions, much appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Tidy Towns (coming into the Summer evenings would be nice). I did it for a while myself.

Advertisement