Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training problems

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I am a childminder and I am currently looking after a little four year old who's behaviour is quite challenging, she wets herself up to four times a day every day. I have tried a number of approaches to discourage this including rewards and praise when she does use the toilet, no treats when she wets, even saying nothing, but nothing seems to be working. I have had chats with her parents about the situation but they appear largely unbothered by it. I am just wondering does anyone have any advise?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is she in school?
    Are there other signs of possible behavioral issues?
    Are you new to her?
    Does she wet at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tinatee

I have been looking after her since she was a baby, when she was first trained she would always wet herself a couple of times a week but in the last few months it's gotten very bad. She is not in school yet she's due to start Montessori in sept. She would have tantrums quite regularly & her behaviour would be challenging, I'm wondering is it attention seeking or some other psychological issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Has she been to the GP?
    Medical problems could be causing this and should really be excluded first.

Also a child should receive rewards (eg star chart ) for following agreed behaviour such as telling you she needs the toilet rather than if she actually uses the toilet if you know what I mean. There should never be a punishment for wetting.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Bear and blue house has about potty on youtube.also elmos potty song.there hilarious also dora does a potty book.

Sometimes they want to grown up and these on youtube will make bothbof you laugh.as much as we did my son was the same!! Just make light of it. Best of luck let us know if it worked

Advertisement