Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 long beeps MacBook Air

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello all, today I heard, for the 1st time, a sequence of 3 long beeps from my MacBook Air 11' mid 2011. It was in sleep mode but felt extremely hot. Also I noticed that the battery had gone from 96% when I put it to sleep to 65% in the 15 minutes that it was asleep! When I opened it up it didn't start, pressed the power button for 5-6 seconds and thankfully it powered up and I was taken to the login screen. Have been using it now for last hour and battery use is normal.

After some frantic googling it seems that the 3 beeps are a warning for bad ram? Is it possible to swap out the ram?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

3 beeps is usually indicative of bad RAM, and in most cases you'd just swop it out. However, in the case of the Macbook Air, the RAM is soldered directly to the logic board. I've read of cases where extreme temperatures have played havoc with the RAM temporarily - as your overheated computer would seem to indicate. Nothing much you can do except hope it doesn't happen again, but if the RAM needs to be swopped out, then you're talking about a trip to the Apple store... :/

Advertisement