Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nua Ghaeilge at NUIM

• 01-04-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hey I'm thinking of doing Nua Ghaeilge next year as one of my Arts subjects. I was wondering would anybody have any info on the course in general? Is it hard? What are the hours like? My standard of Irish is pretty good but I didn't go to a Gael Scoil or anything so I'm not fluent, would that have an impact on my ability to do well on the course? Thanks :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Hey OP
    I'm a final year Irish student just finishing up now. I was the same as yourself, I didn't go to a Gaeilscoil but I had a pretty good level of Irish when I began (no fluency!) I'm studying Irish and business and I absolutely LOVED the Irish part of things. In first year, your grammar classes start from the basics really, they cover a lot of simple stuff to make sure everyone is up to scratch and at the same level. Lecturers are brilliant, very approachable. Come second year, the classes are a lot smaller and most of the lecturers will know you by first name. I hear it's meant to be one of the best Irish departments in the country and I'd definitely believe that.

The hours are fine. In first year you have 2 grammar lectures a week, a lecture based on poems and another based on stories/prós. You have a double tutorial every week as well (as far as I can remember) where it focuses on spoken Irish and reiterating any grammar you did in class. First year Irish is not that hard! (I had taken a gap year so I'd been out of the loop altogether from Irish and I found it pretty easy, especially the grammar).

I would say the fact that you didn't go to a Gaeilscoil will not hinder you one bit. Go for it, if it's teaching you want to do it'll give you a great basis for your teaching career (I'm looking to do secondary teaching next year and I feel very confident knowing I know a high standard of Irish going into it now).

Any questions PM me.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Thanks so much for the reply! :) I am definitely gonna choose Irish anyway! Can't wait :D

Advertisement