Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Need To Talk About Slow Play

• 02-04-2014 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Golf Central - the last time that somebody got a slow play penalty in PGA was 1995.

Interesting that Sunday has caused a panic amongst US golf - I think it was Loupe taking 90 seconds over a putt.

I've seen a worrying development of amateurs - copying pros- long pause over shot - 5 , 7 practice swings.

What is your views and what should we do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Batter them.
    No seriously we should man up and let people know in our own groups that they are slow. Also if rangers are in clubs they should be more active and not just drive around in buggies. Its a thankless job but that's what they are paid to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Pro's: We should expose and ridicule slow play on the professional tour (Keegan, Na, Langer, Furyk etc etc). If they are on the clock and penalised it should be by deducting shots cause a few thousand bucks either way doesn't make any difference. I'm not sure exactly what went on with Na recently and I don't agree with calling out during his shot but if he was getting heckled outside of that for excessive slow play then GOOD.
    The most disturbing thing I heard recently from a player (can't for the life of me remember who it was) was that his coach had instructed him to slow his walk down between shots.

On a personal basis, 2 pet peves;
    Playing in strict rotation: There is far too much bulls*** that goes on with people deciding who's away on a hole or who's honour it is. Its a custom but not a rule and I'm normally happy to abide by it but it the round is heading for 4.5 hrs plus then I can do without it. When ever I am in a group that is lagging behind the group in front, the 1st thing I suggest is that you play when ready. I can't abide 3 people on the green waiting for the 4th to chip AND then cause he's furthest away, waiting for him to walk on to the green and line up his putt and only then hit your own. Similarly if you are at the tee 1st and its not your honour then just get up and hit the ball.
    Searching for lost ball:
    Another example is when someone has lost his ball and his partners are looking for it, there is no reason that 3 people can't look for the ball while the 4th is playing theirs then join the search while freeing up another to play their shot. At the end of the five minutes search all the other players should have played their shots while at the same time 3 people will have been looking for the ball for the allocated 5 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The most disturbing thing I heard recently from a player (can't for the life of me remember who it was) was that his coach had instructed him to slow his walk down between shots.

I remember reading that too:

http://www.golf.com/ap-news/some-faster-players-are-getting-slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

I recall Brandel Chamblee commenting that it is actually Jim Furyk that is the slowest player on tour and not Kevin Na. The tv producers are fully aware of the quirks and pauses that form part of Furyk's pre-shot routine and will only cut bak to Jim once he is ready to go forming the impression in the viewers mind that he is not that slow.

Na has been consistently at the top of the leaderboard in recent months so we get to see more of his slow play as a consequence.

I remember the Setanta's coverage of the Masters last year and Ernie Els had just hit to the 16th. Steve Stricker tee'd his ball up and took what must have been 2-3 minutes to hit his shot. It was agonising to watch without the luxury of a tv producers editing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be ready to take your shot is the main one for me...

On the tee, if you're up then tee it up without delay, if someone else from your group reaches the tee box first then let them off and relinquish the "honour".
    Through the green, be ready to take your shot, if you are on one side of the fairway and a partner is a good bit away then get to your ball, take your distance or whatever your pre-shot routine is and be ready to hit as soon as your partner has played (whilst keeping an eye on their ball), I often hit immediately after my partner and we've two balls in the air on shots where I have the general feeling his ball is safe e.g. short approach.
    The green, mark, repair the green, clean the ball and line up whilst other players are doing the same and we're not in the Ryder Cup so when I say it's okay to stand in my line for your tap-in then just do it as marking when it's a tap-in is just a waste of time.

I won't rush around though, I'm out to enjoy myself and as long as you keep up good pace and take your shot when it's your turn there should be no need to tear around the place...

Sometimes there are inexplicable delays, I remember a 42minute wait on the second tee box in Tullamore last year, that was a joke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Slow play is going to cripple the game, young players coming in to the game are the life blood and the simple truth is that the generations coming through now don't want to spend even 4 hours on the course let alone 5. The Xbox generation want instant gratification and slow play will just turn them off a game that is already hard enough to get started at.

I was at the Leinster branch meeting last Monady week and the main topic was slow play, their research showed it was one of the top deciding factors in people leaving the game, in the 8000 people polled it came in with a very high percentage as a con for staying with the game.

I am quite happy to say it to somebody when I am playing, I won't be a dick about it but if someone repeatedly slow then I will politely ask them to pick up the pace. My pet hate is the hugely drawn out pre shot routine, I watched a guy a few weeks ago take almost a minute to hit the ball after he first addressed it, and there was only one practise swing!! I actually thought he had fallen asleep.

I don't think I am the fastest player around, infact I am quite deliberate with my putting routine but I make up for that elsewhere, I agree that this idea of playing order is not really necessary outside of match play, where it can have a huge bearing on strategy. Play away would be my moto, and if its not your turn to play then at least be ready to hit when it is.

I am sure I sound a little like Staddler and Waldorf but slow play really really bugs me, last year in Portmarnock Links I offered a visitor a tenner from my bag if he would stop looking for lost balls and I don't mean his own, he was looking in areas where he thought there might be some free balls to be found.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Im an advocate of playing when ready, like somebody already said if your on the green and one of the other players is chipping on whats the issue with hitting your putt if your closer when the guy is sorting himself out after having played.

Ive started doing it more and more recently when the situation allows and it frees me up to tend the flag etc so when we are all finished and the group gets off the green quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

When playing with mates we play 'ready golf'- whoever is ready to tee off hits, regardless of who scored what on the last hole.

My pet hates which slow play down are-

-when the group in front of you (or two groups in front) are slow and you are told you cant say anything to them because one of the group in on the committee or is ex president, captain etc.

-when one player leaves their bag on the opposite side of the green to where the next tee is. You are a member, you know where the next tee is!!

-someone telling a joke or funny story on the tee so no one is hitting while you are putting out on the green behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

The fear of walking on someone's line... We are bloody amateurs for gods sake!!! Just walk up and hit your 1ft put into the hole.
    This honour thing does my head in...if your ready then hit it!

Bag being left at the front of green by members.... You know were the next tee box is so what are you bloody doing!

Amateurs miss a putt and start looking at playing partners for words of wisdom or a hug as to why it didn't break the way they wanted it... I don't care about your miss just mark it or finish it
    Just thought of another one....the deliberate pause and pose after hitting your first decent drive of the day..again I don't bloody care so pick your tee up and let's go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

last year in Portmarnock Links I offered a visitor a tenner from my bag if he would stop looking for lost balls and I don't mean his own, he was looking in areas where he thought there might be some free balls to be found.

J

No one would judge if you wrapped a club around his neck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No one would judge if you wrapped a club around his neck

Is funny but - a lad looking for balls. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Slow walkers is a pet hate of mine.

Also lads that only speed up when you catch up with them.

The long pre shot routine then - the freeze over the ball lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Totally agree that slow play is one of the biggest issues facing the game right now.

I do think that there are subtle differences between the slow play on tour and the slow play at clubs though. Most of the pros are doing it deliberately and have been brainwashed into thinking their routine must be x number of steps long or the world will end. I'd be inclined to ask them "did you play like that when you were a junior ?" The tour could end slow play overnight if it wanted to, by simply adhering to the rules that are already there, but for some reason Timmy doesn't want to. Its a shame some of the good young players coming through are appallingly slow though, Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, yer man Loupy, Na, are setting a terrible example for juniors the world over. A couple of one shot penalties to marquee names and it would stop pretty sharpish, no point in doing the Chinese amateur, that's only window dressing.

At club level a lot of the slowness is IMO down to stupid things like leaving your bag the wrong side of the green, not being ready to hit when its your turn or starting your "routine" only when its your turn to hit etc. Simple common sense things could easily have everyone around in well under 4 hours. We've one group of guys who literally mark their balls when they're 6 inches from the hole and wait for the others to putt, crazy stuff.
    You also see guys who are so deliberate you'd wonder how they manage to play at all, do they not realise its a sport and you need to be loose ? A guy I sometimes play with tells me he goes through a checklist of about 10 things in his head while he's standing over the ball and he can't start his swing until he does !! FFS !!
    Another issue at club level, and its a hard one to bring up or deal with, everyone gives out about slow play, but most of the slow players don't think they are slow and have no idea they're holding up the course.
    Then there's the attitude of "I've paid my fees, I'll take as long as I like", coupled with the "never let anyone through" mentality, all adding up to the "four and a half hours is fine for a round of golf" - well I'm sorry, it's not, unless you're playing 7,500 yards and there's miles of walking.

I reckon it'll be easier to solve at tour level than club level !:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I agree with everyone and everything on the thread - shame none of the slow players are on boards! :D
    slave1 wrote: »
    I often hit immediately after my partner and we've two balls in the air on shots where I have the general feeling his ball is safe

However I think this would start to grate on my nerves - I'd be waiting for the crack of your shot in the middle of mine. Fair enough if you're with mates and you're all used to each others routines.

I've been playing with a few juniors recently and some of their routines are ridiculous - had to pull up one young lad last week with his whole demeanor - long routine, slow walking, and the 5 or 6 practise swings AFTER the shot when it wasn't to Tiger-like precision. Started off with slagging about how he couldn't keep up with the auld lads to eventually telling him we'd be timing him if he didn't get his ass in gear.

The big one, as everyone here has mentioned, is be f'ing well ready to hit when its your go, and then play out of turn if its obvious that there will be a wait for the guy whos away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Agree with all the above.

Another one the irks me is when I hit my drive, eg. down left side and playing partners are on right, I will walk straight to my ball. If they are hitting first, I will get myself set up and as soon as their club strikes their ball, I will hit. I see it all to often though that other people would have walked up the right side with their playing partners, and only after their partner hits do they walk over to their own ball.

I don't think I'm slow at all. I may take my time over a shot (I always have a couple of practice swings), but I get to my ball quickly, I will hit out of turn if others aren't ready and I will make sure we keep up with the group in front. If we fall behind, I will say it to the lads and I will near run ahead of them to pick up the pace and close the gap.

Remember lads, your place on the golf course is behind the group in front and not in front of the group behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

All golf clubs should stick a sign on every tee box

"We play ready golf at this course"

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

There is one fella in our club who is notorious for slow play. He pauses for atleast 45 seconds before starting his backswing, and regularly, stops on his backswing, and steps away and goes through the whole routine again !! I got caught with him once !!! If I see him on the timesheet, if I can't get out before him I'm slow to put my name down cause I know the course will be backed up !!

Think my slowest round ever was Macreddin with Boards Golf Society at just shy of 6 hours, haven't managed to get to many more after that, but I saw some comments about Esker Hills taking 5 hours recently so surely there are some culprits amoungst us ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

when it comes to slow play, one thing I've noticed is clubs letting four lads out in singles competitions and holding up the course and they are all out for a Sunday morning stroll.
    Has put me off playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Some great ideas on here.....
    Ready golf all the time is the first and a very sensible approach to speeding up things even if takes 10 mins of a round, its a start. If every club trialed it and as Alex suggested put a few signs up saying "We are a Ready Golf Club", I feel we would see it picking up the pace. Signs also approaching greens or on the score card, the ones that show the green, showing the player were to leave bags for the most convenient access to the next tee box. We all need to police our own groups also, if we have a slow player let them know.
    Finally I feel there should be a 20 second rule or something like it, i.e. you reach your ball on the fairway you have 20 secs to pull the trigger, I know this would be hard to police or enforce and under what kind methodology might be used, but something drastic needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Played with a high handicapper who had lessons so he had a full minute of a pre shot routine, he then duff's it infront of him and goes thru it again next ball OB drops one and goes thru the pre shot routine again. 3/4 mins and he hadn't moved.
    To be honest the small things add up in a round, when I play in my regular 4ball I am the fastest so I play out of turn almost every hole. Small things like marking short putts, bag on the wrong side of the green waiting for the last person to mark their ball after they have chipped on someone should mark it for them if they have to move their bag around to the correct side of the green, putt out of turn if you are ready.
    Things that delay the group 20 or 30 seconds 2 or 3 time a hole will add up to 20 plus minutes over a round.
    Another big one is watch the ball sometimes it is hard to keep an eye on your own ball with a low sun and you see groups and not 1 of them have a clue where the ball has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

People are copying what they see on telly especially kids. That's why I hate the carry on with slow play in golf and simulating and mouthing to ref in football. Kids see it and in 10 years it's all we gonna see on telly.
    No surprise the slowest people on our course are the juniors. They play practice rounds and imitate the pros. You see them standing discussing the shot they're going to play and take ages for everything. A good cobbler could also put new soles on their shoes while they're walking so fkn slow they are.
    It's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

mike12 wrote: »
    Played with a high handicapper who had lessons so he had a full minute of a pre shot routine, he then duff's it infront of him and goes thru it again next ball OB drops one and goes thru the pre shot routine again. 3/4 mins and he hadn't moved.
    To be honest the small things add up in a round, when I play in my regular 4ball I am the fastest so I play out of turn almost every hole. Small things like marking short putts, bag on the wrong side of the green waiting for the last person to mark their ball after they have chipped on someone should mark it for them if they have to move their bag around to the correct side of the green, putt out of turn if you are ready.
    Things that delay the group 20 or 30 seconds 2 or 3 time a hole will add up to 20 plus minutes over a round.
    Another big one is watch the ball sometimes it is hard to keep an eye on your own ball with a low sun and you see groups and not 1 of them have a clue where the ball has gone.

This does my head in..so often people bend down and pick the tee up when they should watching their slice land instead of expecting other people to watch their ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Boskowski wrote: »
    People are copying what they see on telly especially kids. That's why I hate the carry on with slow play in golf and simulating and mouthing to ref in football. Kids see it and in 10 years it's all we gonna see on telly.
    No surprise the slowest people on our course are the juniors. They play practice rounds and imitate the pros. You see them standing discussing the shot they're going to play and take ages for everything. A good cobbler could also put new soles on their shoes while they're walking so fkn slow they are.
    It's awful.

Not so sure about this, I agree some of the young lads n lassies do try to emulate the Tour Players, but I don't think the issue has anything to do with generation.

Sorry, I mis-read, I didn't see the "our Course" bit...........but i stand by my point.

There is one fella in our club who is notorious for slow play. He pauses for atleast 45 seconds before starting his backswing, and regularly, stops on his backswing, and steps away and goes through the whole routine again !! I got caught with him once !!! If I see him on the timesheet, if I can't get out before him I'm slow to put my name down cause I know the course will be backed up !!

Think my slowest round ever was Macreddin with Boards Golf Society at just shy of 6 hours, haven't managed to get to many more after that, but I saw some comments about Esker Hills taking 5 hours recently so surely there are some culprits amoungst us ??

5 hours for any round of golf is inexcusable tbh- does everyone know that it's a stable ford comp rather than strokes, so just pick your ball up when you can't score, and that experienced guys point this out to possible new people to the game? What other reason is there for 5hr+ rounds in a society?

I was in first group out in esker hills and standing on 17th tee the second group out behind us hadn't reached the 16th tee which was a par 5.

Dealerz wrote: »
    5 hours for any round of golf is inexcusable tbh- does everyone know that it's a stable ford comp rather than strokes, so just pick your ball up when you can't score, and that experienced guys point this out to possible new people to the game? What other reason is there for 5hr+ rounds in a society?

I was in first group out in esker hills and standing on 17th tee the second group out behind us hadn't reached the 16th tee which was a par 5.

I've often wondered why society rounds in general take longer. My guess would be:
    * Not knowing the course
    * Varying levels of ability
    * New golfers not au fait with what it takes to make sure you are not slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thbut I saw some comments about Esker Hills taking 5 hours recently so surely there are some culprits amoungst us ??
    I played Esker Hills on Sunday, in a two ball, in a buggy and it still took over 5 hours. Blind shots everywhere on an unknown course do that. I wont even comment on having to search for your ball on the "fairway"...
    I don't think I am the fastest player around, infact I am quite deliberate with my putting routine but I make up for that elsewhere, I agree that this idea of playing order is not really necessary outside of match play, where it can have a huge bearing on strategy.

I'd be careful about this. I dont think you can make up for it elsewhere really. For example, it doesnt make up for being a slow putter if you walk faster than average between shots as your group will still be as slow as the slowest player, at each stage of the hole. Its no good you sprinting to your drive and then having to wait for everyone else anyway. Then they all wait for you on the green. (not saying you do btw! Hopefully you get what I mean)

Good God man, 5 hrs in a buggy in a two ball?? There are maps at the back of every tee box- what else do you need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Russman wrote: »
    Totally agree that slow play is one of the biggest issues facing the game right now.

Another issue at club level, and its a hard one to bring up or deal with, everyone gives out about slow play, but most of the slow players don't think they are slow and have no idea they're holding up the course.

I think your spot on there,and this to me is at the very heart of the problem -
    I've played with a lot of guys who are full of advise around the course and will happily share their thoughts and disgust at the slow play plague ........ and im scratching my head thinking but YOU ARE SLOW!
    you only started taking your glove off and lining up your putt once the 3 others in the group had putted,your filling in the scorecard when you should be driving,your plodding up to your ball telling stories as you go,the way you only check your yardage and choose your club when its your turn from the fairway!!
    My point is , these golfers, because they dont actually take an age actually playing their shot - Believe they are NOT part of the slow play problem,
    when in fact they are the crux of the problem.
    Yes bags on wrong side of greens,looking for balls, etc are issues - but if every golfer was aware and totally ready when it becomes there turn to play whether on the tee,fairway or green and executed said shot in 20 seconds.
    Then all the other issues would fade into insignificance IMO.
    ps. I also agree it needs to become more acceptable to pull someone up on it also, its easy to say you should but noboby wants to play 18 holes in a bad atmosphere if a playing partner were to take the hump at being call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Slow walkers are what really annoy me, if you are wuick to your ball then you could probably take a slightly longer shot routine. I'm always quick up to the ball take my shot and off again. My trolley is always on number 7/8 out of nine so it's quite fast. A guy I play with, who is a lot fitter than me just strolls around, so annoying. But as greebo said if there is one slow person in the group it doesn't matter how quick I are to you ball you will still be waiting on them!

People who go through the back of the green going with just their wedge to chip and then having to walk back to their bags for their putters!

Guys that roll a putt one foot past or one foot short, marking it picking out a line again and going through a full routine. Hate that!

A 2 ball with that doesn't get held up should be around in 3 to 3 and a quarter hours. 4 ball should be around the 4, depends on length of course too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

mike12 wrote: »

As long as you're not playing with Slave1. He'll be hitting while your ball is in the air :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Always find it amusing that people sweat bullets to shave a few minuntes off what is a four hour game on average.

Fully agree if someone is perplexingly slow that can be frustrating. But I also find it just as frustrating with the lads who just bomb around the course, walk across lines, hit the shot just as I finish mine, refuse to help looking for a ball so they can storm down to theirs.

Sorry but if you want to play a quick game, stop playing golf. It's a 4 hr game on average, shaving a few minutes off is ridiculous. I'd also advocate if your "in a rush" to go or do something after your game, don't come out at all.

Personally find the lightning brigade alot more infuriating and distracting then slow players.

I'm not a slow player but I'm not fast either. I've a routine I go through, that to be fair has a purpose and isn't some random rubbish. And I do it because it works for me, and its why I play of the handicap I do.

I do sometimes question however the routines higher handicappers go through, when it is clear its providing them no benefit other then them feeling the need to "have" a routine, cause it's the "done" thing. In no way want to sound elitist, but a pre-shot routine has a very specific purpose, it's not for show.

Oddly enough I've probably sped up this season, after cutting my pre-shot routine out. something that I was working on last season intently is second nature now, so I was able to remove it from my routine, and speed up a fraction.

Also on the point of younger golfers, as someone who came through that bracket of playing at province and national level competitions, it would be typical for a Junior competition to last for in circa 5 hours. The low handicapp strokes ones anyway. Alot of players are methodical about their routines, but also are afforded the time to spend looking over putts especially.

So it wouldn't be uncommon for some players to maybe take that as the "standard". Why when playing at the highest level, do one thing, then drop that standard when you play club level? That's the arguement there that I think has some validity.

I was used to playing the avg time of golf before I reach that level of junior golf, but I fully appreciated the extra time allowed to really focus on putting and discussions with a caddy, and something that was a noticable change when playing weekend club competitions.

Just something to think about, it's not even dedicated to Juniors. The Junior cup last year held in my place was notoriously slow, it was avg 5 hrs a round. Stroke play and there was certain groups of players that just took their time over putts, personally I'd no problem as it slowed the general pace down and there was more time to focus on putting, but it did cause some grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Watching Golf Central - the last time that somebody got a slow play penalty in PGA was 1995.

Interesting that Sunday has caused a panic amongst US golf - I think it was Loupe taking 90 seconds over a putt.

I've seen a worrying development of amateurs - copying pros- long pause over shot - 5 , 7 practice swings.

What is your views and what should we do.

Slow play is becoming a serious issue in club competitions also and I put a lot of it down to people watching too much television and apeing the pros. The authorities in the pro game don't seem to have any interest in penalising consistent offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

TheDoc wrote: »
    Always find it amusing that people sweat bullets to shave a few minuntes off what is a four hour game on average.

Fully agree if someone is perplexingly slow that can be frustrating. But I also find it just as frustrating with the lads who just bomb around the course, walk across lines, hit the shot just as I finish mine, refuse to help looking for a ball so they can storm down to theirs.

Sorry but if you want to play a quick game, stop playing golf. It's a 4 hr game on average, shaving a few minutes off is ridiculous. I'd also advocate if your "in a rush" to go or do something after your game, don't come out at all.

Personally find the lightning brigade alot more infuriating and distracting then slow players.

I'm not a slow player but I'm not fast either. I've a routine I go through, that to be fair has a purpose and isn't some random rubbish. And I do it because it works for me, and its why I play of the handicap I do.

I do sometimes question however the routines higher handicappers go through, when it is clear its providing them no benefit other then them feeling the need to "have" a routine, cause it's the "done" thing. In no way want to sound elitist, but a pre-shot routine has a very specific purpose, it's not for show.

Oddly enough I've probably sped up this season, after cutting my pre-shot routine out. something that I was working on last season intently is second nature now, so I was able to remove it from my routine, and speed up a fraction.

I agree, in pricipal as i have also played with 'manic try to get around in 3 hrs brigade' and its no fun either :)
    But my point again is - if a golfer is READY to play when it becomes their turn,
    then 20/30 seconds to incorporate the most lavish preshot routine is not a problem for anyone.
    But the small 30seconds here and there caused by not being focused on whats required (yardgage/club etc) soon ads up and the 4 hour round your talking about quickly becomes 4 hrs 30mins plus!! Thats the big problem, not preshot routines imo.

Dealerz wrote: »
    Good God man, 5 hrs in a buggy in a two ball?? There are maps at the back of every tee box- what else do you need?

Exactly, its a "slow" course.
    We had a two ball of members behind us on the first tee and finished 2 holes clear of them.

Maps dont help you find your ball when you hit a blind tee shot, like most of them are there.

• Advertisement

I dont think anyone expects it to be less than 4 hours, it's when it starts heading for 4.5 and more where people get pissed off. Shaving one minute off a hole amounts to 18 in a round which is significant.

I don't believe your (slow) routine has got you to your handicap (around 10 from memory). I've seen scratch golfers with very simple quick routines and 28 handicappers with incredibly slow routines. The only routine required is to take care over alignment and something that triggers your focus/full attention for no more than 10 seconds.

The high handicappers are probably looking at your routine think if they do that they'll get down at some stage. You can't condone slow routines for lower handicappers just cos they play off a low handicap. That suggests the better you get the slower you get so we end up like Kevin Na :eek:

But the point is that this is slowly becoming the exception rather than the average. 4 hours for a 4 ball is, I would reckon, acceptable to practically all. Add a half hour and people start getting annoyed. Make it 5 and people are fit to kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

josie19 wrote: »
    I dont think sanyone expects it to be less than 4 hours, it's when it starts heading for 4.5 and more where people get pissed off. Shaving one minute off a hole amonts to 18 in a round which is significant.

I don't believe your (slow) routine has got you to your handicap (around 10 from memory). I've seen scratch golfers with very simple quick routines and 28 handicappers with incredibly slow routines. The only routine required is to take care over alignment and something that triggers your focus/full attention for no more than 10 seconds.

The high handicappers are probably looking at your routine think if they do that they'll get down at some stage. You can't condone slow routines for lower handicappers just cos they play off a low handicap. That suggests the better you get the slower you get so we end up like Kevin Na :eek:

I think 4hours in an average length golf course is also too slow . You should be aiming to be finished in 3h 45 max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

On putting, if you haven't read the green and three people have putted ahead of you already, you should be banned for life.

I also don't care that it's x amount of time, a 5 hour round is fine with me if it was 5 hours of actual golf. it's the waiting to play on every shot that kills the soul , not the cumulative length of the round per se

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Corkblowin wrote: »
    I agree with everyone and everything on the thread - shame none of the slow players are on boards! :D

Oh they're here alright, they're just not posting in this thread.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Oh they're here alright, they're just not posting in this thread.

They will post a reply tomorrow when they have focused on the focus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I actually find the maniacs rushing around worse because they are overly aggressive about everyone else's pace whilst the slow player is oblivious to everyone else. They seem to deem everyone not a fast as themselves slow.

I played an open on the Monty last year with a guy getting aggressive about slow play. We were 3hours 40mins for a 4 ball which is fairly quick. He was giving out walking off the 18th (actually he started on the 1st before anyone had hit) about the pace of play when one of the four ball decked him, told him to shut it and casually strolled on. The guy later followed us into the clubhouse and apologised if he ruined or round by giving out.

shamco wrote: »
    I think 4hours in an average length golf course is also too slow . You should be aiming to be finished in 3h 45 max

Played many a four-ball in 3.45 first out at 7am, but I'm too lazy now to get up that early. It's probably unrealistic to expect the field to do it in under 4 hours for a four-ball. The handicaps play some part in the time it takes. example: If you're off 8 and I'm off 28 and we play to the same speed of play, I will take 20 more shots than you on average. Multiply that out with a four-ball of 8 handicappers and a four-ball of 28 handicappers - 80 shots - exagerrated example I know but you get my point.

Shave a minute off each hole and you save almost 20 mins...

Shave 10s a shot and you save another 10 mins or so, it all adds up.

I don't have time for people running around the course, more worried about the time it takes than the score they shoot, but 4 hours should be a slow day for 3 ball strokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ftr, i was in the last group of that Esker trip and the 5 hours wasn't caused by any of our members in the society - a group of 3 4balls were let out in the middle of our society by "CHARLIEIRL!". in fairness to charlie he thought there was only one group. They told us they were a society of only 1 fourball and snuck 3 out on us.... So thats what caused the delays for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I'd love to see a full time sheet on a weekend do 3.45, where does this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

On the professional end I simply don't understand why there isn't a rules official out there in EVERY round with EVERY group timing EVERY player. Doing so would make enforcing the rules much much simpler surely?

Pretty much all PGA Tour events have multi-million dollar prize funds. Surely the argument isn't that doing such a thing would be prohibitively expensive? And if isn't that what is it?

Carpo86 wrote: »
    On the professional end I simply don't understand why there isn't a rules official out there in EVERY round with EVERY group timing EVERY player. Doing so would make enforcing the rules much much simpler surely?

Pretty much all PGA Tour events have multi-million dollar prize funds. Surely the argument isn't that doing such a thing would be prohibitively expensive? And if isn't that what is it?

Gutless I reckon. Don't want to risk upsetting the "talent". Hence why we see a 14 year old get penalised. Easy target.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

^^ Spot on. Single out one or two of the lesser knowns and heaven bid of the bigger names gets called up on it.

Either they start enforcing it all of the time or forget about it.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    But the point is that this is slowly becoming the exception rather than the average. 4 hours for a 4 ball is, I would reckon, acceptable to practically all. Add a half hour and people start getting annoyed. Make it 5 and people are fit to kill.

For as long as I've played golf I consider a game about 4 hours. In terms of weekend comps, I'll always assume its going to take 4 hours.

If there is a stroke competition, I'll factor in it taking longer. Not due to players having poor practice and being slow in terms of attitude, but just factoring in that stroke play takes longer when it requires everyone to finish the hole, and we've all had or seen that 10 or 11 on a hole that sucks up time, **** I've done it plenty of times myself.

But would agree with some of the good points being made here.

Have a read of the green while waiting on your go. To be honest you shouldn't be standing around gawking, you should be focusing your put, so when it's your turn your ready to go. Granted if your first to shoot, take that time to have a read.

If your waiting to hit from the fairway, make sure you've your club ready to go. Pet hate of mine, but you'll have three guys hit and a forth THEN starts working out his yardage and club selection.

Leave your bag/buggey/trolley in a conveniant place that leads you to your next shot/tee or place of movement. Don't leave your bag over the otherside of the green, having to cross back over when the hole is done.

Carry a few tee's in your pocket. For god sake their tiny, don't be having one in your pocket and standing on the tee going "ugh anyone got a tee".

If your playing a hole that has an OB or hazard from the teeshot, and your bag has to be left away from the tee, bring a spare ball. Don't have to walk all the way back. Bring up a spare and throw it to the side of the teebox.

I'd assume the above is common sense but it happens alot. But I don't think that's an inherent or growing problem in golf, that's just stupidity, or someone never told or picking up on the common sense stuff.

@josie19. My pre-shot is definitely not slow and it has a very specific purpose. Similar to what you've outlined it's to do with aligment and initial takeaway, although who's isnt :D

I've the benefit of playing with my Da and his friends, and being the youngest, so if I was ever slow they wouldnt hesitate letting me know. They made a serious intervention when I was younger about my aggression after bad shots which was well recieved and I stopped, and they made a comment once about sometimes lagging behind when I'm lighting up a smoke, and that's fair enough addressed that aswell.

I've only ever REALLY come across two guys in my club who were ACTUALLY slow. I had been told about this pair in advance, so I "kinda" knew what to expect. We weren't holding anyone up so I didn't feel the need to make comment, and it didn't bother me that much. But I guess I have avoided playing with either of them again so maybe it did bother me.

But I think it's important to segregate the slow play from bad practice/habbits/ attitude from slow play due to "poor" or "bad" golf. As I said above in a stroke competition I'll just expect it to take longer due to people having bad holes or making mistakes. I'd never get rowdy or annoyed over that, and I don't think it would be right either to get aggrevated about someones slow play, if its solely down to them playing poorly on the day.

Also playing of six now, good finish to last year :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement