Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Need To Talk About Slow Play

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Elm Green yesterday. Two hours to play our first four holes starting form the 10th. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Elm Green yesterday. Two hours to play our first four holes starting form the 10th. Never again.

That's insane. Did you finish the round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's insane. Did you finish the round?

No, i found myself getting hot under the collar about it. Irrational i know, but it badly effected my game. Called it a day after 9 holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

That place is notorious for taking green fees when there is members competitions going on, shocking I'd never go back and play it, plenty of other much better courses in the area and you don't have to deal with that crap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

dar_cool wrote: »
    That place is notorious for taking green fees when there is members competitions going on, shocking I'd never go back and play it, plenty of other much better courses in the area and you don't have to deal with that crap!!

Attempted to play it once, used the driving range there a bit over the winter and got a green fee voucher as part of the driving range card deal. Played it midweek in early spring and all was quite as expected for the front nine. Two lady members let me tee off before them on the 1st and said the course was free for over an hour before us.

Took my time going around often playing two balls and practiced chipping on various greens but by the 9th had caught the most disgraceful 4 ball in creation. They were poor golfers which is acceptable but their ignorance and blatant obliviousness to their surroundings wasn't.

I think by the 11th I approached the tee box as they were just leaving expecting to be called through as I was waiting on every shot before then. No such offer was forth coming so on the next tee under similar circumstances I asked could I play through and everyone of them didn't even acknowledge me, the height of ignorance. At that stage the two lady member were on the tee box and questioning why they didn't let me through. By the next tee I had been waiting for nearly 10 mins before I could tee off and as they were still faffing about backtracking and looking for balls I couldn't take any more and let a roar at them to hurry up. They looked back but continued with their self indulged ignorance so at that stage I abandoned my round and proceeded to the first to play a few more holes.

The two lady members apologised for their behavior even though they didn't know them and said they were glad I roared at them (never did that or abandon a round before) and said they would continue on trying to put pressure on them.

If you're slow fine but step aside and let others play through and don't force everyone to play to your dawdling pace, life it too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I couldn't take any more and let a colossal roar at them to hurry up.

Fixed that for you.

Seriously though, I am in half a mind to give up golf completely. Unless you get out before 9 it's just so slow, and my golf is awful when I play slow golf. There's just no fun in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Attempted to play it once, used the driving range there a bit over the winter and got a green fee voucher as part of the driving range card deal. Played it midweek in early spring and all was quite as expected for the front nine. Two lady members let me tee off before them on the 1st and said the course was free for over an hour before us.

Took my time going around often playing two balls and practiced chipping on various greens but by the 9th had caught the most disgraceful 4 ball in creation. They were poor golfers which is acceptable but their ignorance and blatant obliviousness to their surroundings wasn't.

I think by the 11th I approached the tee box as they were just leaving expecting to be called through as I was waiting on every shot before then. No such offer was forth coming so on the next tee under similar circumstances I asked could I play through and everyone of them didn't even acknowledge me, the height of ignorance. At that stage the two lady member were on the tee box and questioning why they didn't let me through. By the next tee I had been waiting for nearly 10 mins before I could tee off and as they were still faffing about backtracking and looking for balls I couldn't take any more and let a roar at them to hurry up. They looked back but continued with their self indulged ignorance so at that stage I abandoned my round and proceeded to the first to play a few more holes.

The two lady members apologised for their behavior even though they didn't know them and said they were glad I roared at them (never did that or abandon a round before) and said they would continue on trying to put pressure on them.

If you're slow fine but step aside and let others play through and don't force everyone to play to your dawdling pace, life it too short.

Elmgreen is a disaster for any efforts at a quick round.

The low prices and clubs for hire mean that it attracts anyone and everyone who happens to have seen 10 minutes of golf and fancies giving it a go. This is not a bad thing in and of itself, but anyone who shows up there looking to rent clubs should be given a 10 minute instruction on etiquette.

Sending 4 complete novices out without an experienced golfer is always going to cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ben1977 wrote: »

The reason why I'm running out of playing partners in the club is, I just can't spend 4+ hours on the course. It seems to be the norm and it has to change.

Then maybe golf isn't for you?

I noticed after coming back to golf it is taking longer to get around 18 holes at the weekend, but not to the point where I am freaking out.

Golf is a pretty long game, it's between 4-4:30 hours on average, for me anyway that's how I see it, and how it's always appeared to me. I'm not slow by any strecth, and I play in a relatively fast fourball, but even then we still take four hours in and about.

There is on the one hand notoriously slow play which cannot be condoned and should be eradicated. On the other hand there are guys who come out to play their golf, have plans made in four hours time and expect everyone to rush their game to meet their timeschedule.

There is the potential for every game to be faster or slower. Yesterday I was playing in a twoball with the father. Two lads on the timesheet pulled out during the week and nobody filled. We thought it would be rough, but we realised pretty quickly that we can't spend the day bursting through fourballs.

Took us around 4 hours, keeping pace with the group in front, little gap from the group behind, but had the benefit of spending much longer then normal in terms of reading putts etc, was a really enjoyable game.

We have a few little things in our regular fourball that keeps things at a good pace, and a few things that I just do and consider common sense.

We don't have the "honour" rule in our normal fourball. Whoever is ready hits. IT also means if you need to do something, you can just say "someone fire ahead there". (I frequently do this is I want to finish my smoke)

Bags placed in walkway to next hole. Seriously, irks me when Isee people leaving their back wrongside of the green, walking accross and back. Take the time first to leave your bag where your going next hole, then take the club(s) you need.

On occasion we don't do furthest away first. Sometimes someone might have a logner walk, so while they are getting there, someone else might take their chip or putt, if the pin is to remain in.

Closest to the pin attends the flag, and as people get closer and still need glaf held, swop around. This is so that you can take the time to read your putt, and know what your doing.

When someone else is putting, look at your putt. It's cool to see how they finish and say well done, but you need to know whats happening on your putt. I hate when I see someone start doing a walkaround and break check, after three other people have putt.

If there is a lost ball that needs help looking, have others hit first before helping. Keeps things moving. If one guy is in the trees on the right, two guys in the right rough, and one guy left rough. Guy in left rough goes and hits and then comes help.

If there is a hole where your teeshot requires you to leave your bag a bit away, bring a spare ball incase of a provisional being required. Just throw it at the side of the teebox incase you need it, or more importantly someone else.

If you've hit a ropey shot, and it may be lost, and you have intent to score on the hole (potentially strokes) then hit a provisional, regardless. Nothing more ridiculous then standing on a teebox watching someone walk back to you, to hit again. Granted it happens the odd time suprisingly, a bal is lost, but if you have hit into trees and havnt hit a provo, your a dick.

If you are looking for a ball, and it's your ball, onus is on you to call time on the search, and be conscious. It can be awkward telling someone "erm, I think we need to move on", so be conscious of that fact. If your scoring ****e, have a quick look and move on. Sometimes if I'm scoring poorly I won't even look, I'll just tell my partners its gone and scratch the hole.

And finally, if you do need to walk back to take a shot, and there is a group on the teebox, call them through to hit their teeshot. You can walk up as five and carry on, closing a few minutes.

It's just common sense at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

TheDoc wrote: »

Good common sense post but alas common sense ain't so common ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We don't have the "honour" rule in our normal fourball. Whoever is ready hits. IT also means if you need to do something, you can just say "someone fire ahead there". (I frequently do this is I want to finish my smoke)

Have to say that potentially delaying your group because you want to finish your smoke doesnt seem to promote quick golf in my book.

Wouldn't common sense mean that you dont light up when you are going to need to tee off before you are done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

If someone has holed out and is holding the flag to put it back in and I notice that their bag is on the wrong side of the green, I will say "here, let me take that while you go and get your bag". Or conversely, I will hand someone the flag and ask them to take care of it if it makes more sense.

I also find that if the group is respecting the honour and the player that is up starts dithering, I will say "sure I'll hit while you're getting ready". This serves the purpose of speeding up that hole and moving from the honour to ready golf.

If I put a ball in trouble from the tee I will practically run to it to try to find it without delaying the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

I came across an interesting version of the game recently. Happened on 2 different courses. I was playing in a 4 ball on a pretty empty course ( no one in front and no one behind). Along come a 2 ball playing at a pretty good pace and we let them through. When letting them through you could see they were playing at a fast pace but were playing absolutely awful golf. Hit it 150 yds off the tee, then 50 yds to the right and 50 to the left, repeat and repeat again. It was more like hockey than golf. Now sometimes this can be caused by trying to hurry through when you've been let play through, but it was so bad I had one eye on them on the next hole and it was repeated again. 1st course it was what looked like a husband and wife and the 2nd course it was 3 guys in late 20's or early 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Pro's: We should expose and ridicule slow play on the professional tour (Keegan, Na, Langer, Furyk etc etc). If they are on the clock and penalised it should be by deducting shots cause a few thousand bucks either way doesn't make any difference. I'm not sure exactly what went on with Na recently and I don't agree with calling out during his shot but if he was getting heckled outside of that for excessive slow play then GOOD.
    The most disturbing thing I heard recently from a player (can't for the life of me remember who it was) was that his coach had instructed him to slow his walk down between shots.

On a personal basis, 2 pet peves;
    Playing in strict rotation: There is far too much bulls*** that goes on with people deciding who's away on a hole or who's honour it is. Its a custom but not a rule and I'm normally happy to abide by it but it the round is heading for 4.5 hrs plus then I can do without it. When ever I am in a group that is lagging behind the group in front, the 1st thing I suggest is that you play when ready. I can't abide 3 people on the green waiting for the 4th to chip AND then cause he's furthest away, waiting for him to walk on to the green and line up his putt and only then hit your own. Similarly if you are at the tee 1st and its not your honour then just get up and hit the ball.
    Searching for lost ball:
    Another example is when someone has lost his ball and his partners are looking for it, there is no reason that 3 people can't look for the ball while the 4th is playing theirs then join the search while freeing up another to play their shot. At the end of the five minutes search all the other players should have played their shots while at the same time 3 people will have been looking for the ball for the allocated 5 mins.

Shot clock should be imposed on every shot by right. Its the only way!!!

When playing matchplay playing in strict rotation is probably more important as one can gain an advantage by playing out of turn. If you are out for an ordinary round with your mates it should not make much difference

By right if people are waiting behind you and you a searching for a ball, you should call them through. But this never seems to happen anymore!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

GreeBo wrote: »
    Have to say that potentially delaying your group because you want to finish your smoke doesnt seem to promote quick golf in my book.

Wouldn't common sense mean that you dont light up when you are going to need to tee off before you are done?

You've completely missed his point Greebo. He's giving examples of how his particular regular 4 ball works. He knows that if he has the honour but is finishing a smoke the other guys will just bomb on. I'm sure once the other 3 have played he's ready to go wether he's finished his smoke or not. Have the same thing with my regular partners and it works fine.
    And saying not to light up until a point were you have 5 minutes between shots is ridiculous, it probably won't happen all round so the tee box is the perfect place for it

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    You've completely missed his point Greebo. He's giving examples of how his particular regular 4 ball works. He knows that if he has the honour but is finishing a smoke the other guys will just bomb on. I'm sure once the other 3 have played he's ready to go wether he's finished his smoke or not. Have the same thing with my regular partners and it works fine.
    And saying not to light up until a point were you have 5 minutes between shots is ridiculous, it probably won't happen all round so the tee box is the perfect place for it

No, missing the point ( in a deliciously ironic fashion) is congratulating yourself about having a smoke when it's your turn to play. You might as well argue that your group all know to play out of turn while you are on your phone.

What do you do if all four want a smoke?

Spark up after the tee shots of you must.

No, missing the point ( in a deliciously ironic fashion) is congratulating yourself about having a smoke when it's your turn to play. You might as well argue that your group all know to play out of turn while you are on your phone.

What do you do if all four want a smoke?

Spark up after the tee shots of you must.

Incorrect. Your take on things would be true of four players not familiar with each other. But The Doc plays with these people every week therefore if he's having a smoke his "turn" is last off the tee.

Anyway it's a very specific thing to be arguing when there are so many things that cause slow play.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Incorrect. Your take on things would be true of four players not familiar with each other. But The Doc plays with these people every week therefore if he's having a smoke his "turn" is last off the tee.

Anyway it's a very specific thing to be arguing when there are so many things that cause slow play.

What's incorrect exactly?
    Substitute finishing a smoke with writing a txt and see how you feel about it.

The problem with slow play is two fold; slow people never know or admit to being slow and slowness is made up of a multitude of small things.

Not being ready to play when it's your turn is slow, sure not playing ready golf is slower, but the initial sin is not being ready because you are doing something other than golf. Again I don't think anyone would agree with someone bit being ready because they were texting or browsing for example. Smoking is no different.

What's incorrect exactly?
    Substitute finishing a smoke with writing a txt and see how you feel about it.

The problem with slow play is two fold; slow people never know or admit to being slow and slowness is made up of a multitude of small things.

Not being ready to play when it's your turn is slow, sure not playing ready golf is slower, but the initial sin is not being ready because you are doing something other than golf. Again I don't think anyone would agree with someone bit being ready because they were texting or browsing for example. Smoking is no different.

Are you intentionally not reading what I'm saying here?
    He is talking specifically about his regular 4 ball and how they speed things up so things like smoking or having to send a text or marking a card don't slow them up.
    I don't think he's putting forward as a universal answer to stop slow play.

Would on occasion light up on the walk from a green to next tee, few holes have a decent walk. I forgo my honour and let the others hit, then I'm ready to go.

There is no loss of time what so ever ;)

• Advertisement

Would on occasion light up on the walk from a green to next tee, few holes have a decent walk. I forgo my honour and let the others hit, then I'm ready to go.

There is no loss of time what so ever ;)

Maybe there is no loss of time but only because of your partners.
    But do you not agree that not being ready to play when its your turn is basically the cause of slow play?
    You are reliant on your playing partners to play out of turn because you are choosing to do something other than be ready to hit your shot.

I really see no difference between finishing your smoke and writing a txt or surfing the web. Its essentially not being ready to play when you should be.

Maybe there is no loss of time but only because of your partners.
    But do you not agree that not being ready to play when its your turn is basically the cause of slow play?
    You are reliant on your playing partners to play out of turn because you are choosing to do something other than be ready to hit your shot.

I really see no difference between finishing your smoke and writing a txt or surfing the web. Its essentially not being ready to play when you should be.

I think I nessled the point in fairness under the topic of like, the things my regular fourball do to keep things moving. It's no loss of time because while I might not be ready to take the first hit, I'm ready by the third or fourth.

Be the same if I needed to change ball, or if I needed to get a tee or something (not that I ever do) but you get my drift, I know it's an avoidable situation, but the point I was making that in my fourball we don't really care for the "honour" order, and it's whoever is ready go, and it keeps things ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What I'm getting from this discussion is that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think some people who don't smoke - are just intolerable to it.

You hear lads saying.
    "Could he not just play a round of golf without a smoke"
    "Jaysus - could you not just have a meal without a smoke"

I think this intolerance tends to drift into other things.

I've no issue with it at all - does piss me off a little to see cigarette butts or any rubbish on a course. One place in life you look for perfection.
    I not saying anyone here does. But I do see them on the course - it is also a real fire risk in these conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Lads, I'm not being dismissive, but its really not rocket science to play at an acceptable pace, whatever that may be. By all means play ready golf, leave your bag in the right place etc etc, but IMO it just comes down to not faffing around.

We had our Captains Prize qualifier last weekend, random draw for partners, and its a given that you'll be "paying attention" to what you're doing. Granted I was out early, but none of the threeball were playing particularly well, ie we hit plenty of shots :mad:, and we observed the "honour" on each tee, there was no running or playing out of turn, all very courteous and proper, there were even 2 occasions where one guy had to go back to drop after not being able to find is ball (we all saw it drop out of a tree but we couldn't find it !) and I remarked to the guys when we were halfway up the 18th fairway "...you know lads, we're exactly 3 hours to here, and it hasn't felt like a quick or rushed game at all, isn't it amazing......". They agreed and basically we chatted about how it really doesn't take much just to keep things moving. If you don't have time to light a smoke, step into the trees for a p1$$, eat an apple, whatever, then there's something else that's holding you up, not those little necessary things we do.

By the same token the previous day I played foresomes, which you'd think would be quicker, with a pair who looked at every shot from multiple angles, lasered 30-40yd pitch shots (wtf !!), practically got out sextents and astronomical charts before they hit each shot - game took forever. From 180yds they were discussing whether to aim 3 yards or 4 yards right of the flag, seriously, I'm all for accuracy but, come on !! They probably still don't think they were slow, or should I say "deliberate" - it was a classic case of playing TV Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭HB2002

Played our monthly medal off the blues yesterday.... a recipe for disaster!... but it doesn't have to be!!

The three ball in front of us were dog slow.... they lost over 2 holes on the crowd in front and we said it to them on the 14th ( we had already asked them what the hold up was on the 5th ) and they got a bit agressive and basicaly said it " stroke off the blue get over it " as if that gives you the right to take 5 hours to play a three ball on your home course!.

I know stroke can take longer than stableford no issue there but if you lose two holes on the crowd in front just step it up... chat a little less and get to your ball quicker... but take your time over your shots.

Christ if you shave 20 seconds off the time it takes you to get to your ball andtake your shot you knock half an hour off your round without the need for your to sprint around the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

HB2002 wrote: »
    Played our monthly medal off the blues yesterday.... a recipe for disaster!... but it doesn't have to be!!

The three ball in front of us were dog slow.... they lost over 2 holes on the crowd in front and we said it to them on the 14th ( we had already asked them what the hold up was on the 5th ) and they got a bit agressive and basicaly said it " stroke off the blue get over it " as if that gives you the right to take 5 hours to play a three ball on your home course!.

I know stroke can take longer than stableford no issue there but if you lose two holes on the crowd in front just step it up... chat a little less and get to your ball quicker... but take your time over your shots.

Christ if you shave 20 seconds off the time it takes you to get to your ball andtake your shot you knock half an hour off your round without the need for your to sprint around the course.

Hate this attitude. Irrelevant as your place is always behind the group in front. If it takes longer fine but let groups through if you are holding them up cause guess what genius ?....they are playing same comp as you and somehow team in front and behind are quicker than you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

HB2002 wrote: »

5 hours for a 3 ball on your home course, even for a strokes comp., sounds a bit long!

Surely your club must have a position on "pace of play"? If they don't, it's up to the members, who feel strongly enough about it, to start doing something to help bring about change .... without causing "world war 3".

Problem is, member clubs are run mainly by volunteers and we all know that the priority in most clubs these days is plain "survival". But all have a role to play .... members and committee - if only you could convince enough members and committee that doing something about pace of play would help along the road to survival - by keeping more existing members happy.

Maybe you could think about possible solutions a bit more (i.e. how to bring in a "pace of play" regime, including the communications piece, that would be acceptable by all segments of the club), research the issue on the web, write your ideas down, get a bit of support and bring them to the attention of the committee.

Better still - offer to help with solving the problem yourself - member clubs belong to all the members - not just the committee! Politics - you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Walked off the course today after 13 holes or 3 hours 50mins.
    We would have been 5 hours 30mins at the very least.
    I normally play the same place, when it's full of 4 balls, and 4hrs 15 is standard.

There wasn't a sinner behind us and not a sinner in front (once we let a three ball through early on...).

Myself and a mate had been teamed up with a father and son.
    The father had a slow enough routine but it probably wouldn't look too bad on its own.
    The son, in his early 20's was by far and away the slowest player I've ever played with.
    I kid you not, his putting routine included lying on the ground twice (aka Camilo Villegas) for each putt to assess the slope, then he would place his putter well behind the ball and preform some other measurement. He would then proceed to take another minute standing over the ball.

To make it worse he was a pretty shocking putter, I took the watch out and clocked him on one green.
    A 3 putt that lasted just over 5 minutes.....

His pre shot routine elsewhere was just as bad.
    There was talk of smoking on the tee on here recently... I had a full smoke finished by time I teed off and the son teed off (directly after me!!!!).

To make it worse, they were an incredibly nice pairing, polite, good craic and gents.... There were plenty of "we need to pick it up a bit's" issued, and in fairness the pace did pick up between shots.... But the pre shot routines were just killers.

Had to call it a day after 13, went over to the father and kept it very polite but the point was made. I said something about having to be somewhere and hadn't factored it being 5-6 hour round. It was acknowledged.

Camilo Bejaysus was christened as we walked back in playing the last few holes as a 2 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Enjoyed the last message. How did u last that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Caddy cart wrote: »
    Enjoyed the last message. How did u last that long.

Very funny to read. I doubt it was funny to endure!! Lying on the ground....Twice!! How did you not burst out laughing??

Arsenium wrote: »
    Very funny to read. I doubt it was funny to endure!! Lying on the ground....Twice!! How did you not burst out laughing??

Ah stop, a lot of sympathy and a bit of shock and a hell of a lot more sympathy.

Camilo only made an appearance on the 3rd after he shanked the Bejaysus out of the first and second.

Then there were a few holes of shock... Was this really happening..... That's his father.... Why isn't his father telling him to get the F off the green.

Then sympathy again after the poor putts added up.

Rage did set in on the 9th green though.
    I was tending the flag, I actually had to change the arm I was tending it with as it begain to ache as someone was still making love to the green / pre putt routine.
    Anyway, he had a 25 putter and after everything..... He hit his putt 5 feet.

There were 2 chances I was going to even offer to tend the flag again. I just went for a lap of the green with flag in arms muttering to myself.

But ya, it was mainly sympathy. Seeing a 20 year old so crippled by putting was extremely hard to watch. Felt sorry for the young lad.
    But I couldn't watch it for another 90 mins and had to walk in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyway, he had a 25 putter and after everything..... He hit his putt 5 feet.

No wonder he only hit it 5 feet. He must have been wrecked before he got to address the ball

Oh I cant stop laughing at that story !! I can just imagine the groans and mutterings after enduring all the shaping and gyrating when he only hit it 5 feet. And you knew the whole thing was about to start again :D

There is a sadness to it also I guess...maybe some form of OCD or something.

Played with a lad today that took 10 mins to hit his approach shot after hitting the fairway from tee, some crack :)

PARlance wrote: »
    Played with a lad today that took 10 mins to hit his approach shot after hitting the fairway from tee, some crack :)

You seem to attract them don't you ? :D

Captains Prize last week.

For some reason they let out 4 balls in Stoke competition on Saturday after 1pm

It took us 4hr 50mins.:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

My Brother smokes during a round, he just puts his cigar down (usually on the wheel of his buggy, sometimes on the grass ) when it is his turn and picks it up after his turn. Seems to work well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

alxmorgan wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Everyone wants to play with parlance!!!:p;):D

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Everyone wants to play with parlance!!!:p;):D

Ah it wasn't a slow play issue at all.
    Was playing with 2 boardsies yesterday and one of them had someone on the next hole walked up to his ball and hit it.

It was probably the most entertaining 10 mins I've had in golf. The guy the hit it was a prize pr1ck and there was some crack had.

Your man was completely right....
    1. Despite admitting at one stage he wasn't sure what ball he was playing.
    2. Despite being completely blind from his hooked tee shots landing zone
    3 Despite his mates eventually agreeing that he was wrong
    And best of all, despite the fact that we had a perfect view of our boardsies shot land on the fairway and it never left our sites.
    We spotted him at it and got his attention, he had a double take, gave us a wave and still hit the bloody thing....

He was just one of those lads, the wronger he was, the righter he was.... F'ing and blinding and trying to act the bully.

Fair play to our fellow boardsie, he didn't back down one bit and just because your man was being such a pr1ck, he even walked up with him to 200 or so yards to get his ball.

Your man had absolutely nailed the wrong ball :)

Classic. Now that's a way to win the argument. Walk the whole way up and pick it up and walk the whole way back. To top it off he should have complemented him all the way up on the quality of the shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

To be fair it sounds like your partner should have been screaming down the fairway that it was his ball. The poor man wasn't to know it wasn't his ball sure.

ForeRight wrote: »
    To be fair it sounds like your partner should have been screaming down the fairway that it was his ball. The poor man wasn't to know it wasn't his ball sure.

:) you'll know better the next time!!!

2 Ball last night 3hrs 30mins:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Sean_pop wrote: »
    2 Ball last night 3hrs 30mins:)

I'm guessing that would be classed as pretty slow round these part some guys would be looking to get 4-balls round in that time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Not a member of my local course.just pay and play craic.not interested in playing for handicaps and the likes, just a bit of fun.
    Usually its 2 or 3 of us.
    But we encounter a god awful amount of being held up.with a usual wait lasting 10-15 mins.so loosing about an hour and a half, sometimes 2.
    And its not as if we play shocking quick or anything.
    If we hold someone up we let them on.
    But as was said about turning young people off, its very true.we usually get to the car park and if it looks a bit busy, turn around and go home.

But surely it can't be too much hassle for people to stand aside and let the following group pass??

kieran. wrote: »
    I'm guessing that would be classed as pretty slow round these part some guys would be looking to get 4-balls round in that time :rolleyes:

I think 3:30 is on the edge of being slow yes. 3 hours I reckon should be well achievable in strolling mode.
    If you think slow play is being made too big a deal of read the post after yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

kieran. wrote: »

Why the need for the rolling eyes smiley? Yes, 3h30min for a 2 ball would be slow IMO. (separately- I think boards would be better off getting rid of that smiley)

I think 3:30 is on the edge of being slow yes. 3 hours I reckon should be well achievable in strolling mode.
    If you think slow play is being made too big a deal of read the post after yours

People taking it seriously are always going to be slower than those out for a laugh.
    Take a look at a pro playing casual golf, 2 hours, done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement