Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Need To Talk About Slow Play

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

HB2002 wrote: »
    I have to say I hate slow play too.....
    At the weekend we were held up and held up people behind us on every hole.... the three ball ahead of the two who were playing in front of us had lost three holes on the gang in front of them!!!!.... it was murder and it ends up having an effect on your own round.... you get worried about the crowd behind you.. you get pee'd off waiting over your shot and duff it...

If you lose a hole on the crowd in front of you them it's up to you as a group to close that gap..... how you do it is up to you but for everyone else on the course it's your duty to play just behind the group in front of you.

There are so many simpple things you can do that will speed up your round without making you feel as you've had to rush around and not enjoyed it.

I don't agree with playing out of turn.... mostly because 'The Honour' is always something to try and win .

I also think everyone has their pre shot routine and should stick to it because it can be an important part of your game... but you have to be realistic with your routine too!

One thing mentioned in earlier post was how when it comes to club competitions Bruen Purcell and the like that it's more acceptable to take more time over putts and shots and it's somehting that I try to bring to my weekend game now too... reading the putt from more than one side for starters... but you can do this and do it when other players are playing their shots or lining up there putts.

Someone earlier said they sometimes take their shot as their partners shot is in the air.... there's no need to do that in fairness... and it's not something I would be happy to have happen in my three ball.

I suppose I'm trying to say that you can speed up your round of golf to an accpetable pace without taking from the enjoyment or the competitiveness of the game.

1. Decide what club you are going to hit as soon as you can but do watch your partners ball when they play
    2. Walk and talk to your next shot but don't take an age
    3. Leave your golf clubs in the proper place around the green
    4. Mark your scorecard after you have taken your shot if you have the honour and beforehand if you don't.
    5. Take note of other players putts to help your reading of your putt
    6. If you've lost ground on the gang in front just speed up getting to your ball.

doesn't take much to knock 20 minutes off a round....

I'd agree with a lot of your post, it really doesn't take much to knock 20 minutes off a round, its basically one minute per hole which is nothing in reality.

Slightly OT, but I often wonder if guys selected for interclub and then change their way of playing for the match (taking more time, looking from every angle etc etc) actually play any better than the presumably good play that got them selected or to the handicap that qualified them ? I'd venture that most guys who play with a totally different routine than normal don't play their "normal" game and play worse. But, I agree, inter club is always slower, rightly or wrongly, and in fairness, its not a time trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I was just thinking of my round gone Sunday. I had the honour all day (only 2 of us , other 2 were off forward tees) and my playing partner always knows what he hits on every hole regardless. I was less sure so I let him shoot on most of the time while I chose.

I've always wondered why its such an honour! In matchplay fine, but in ordinary club comps it makes no difference whatsoever. We've a couple of par-3s over water & its often a dubious honour to be up first depending on the wind etc. Funnily enough no-one is keen to play 'ready-golf' on those holes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

It is open to debate (heated). But some would say if the buggy couldn't go they couldn't.
    As harsh as that is. I'm not not a fan.

But in other cultures this would be the way.

Did they lose a hole and let you through ?

I would think that would be particularly harsh approach given that they have paid their subs like everyone else really. I do understand the point that you are making though.

They lost over 2 holes over the course of the round and no they didnt let us play through either. At the same time we werent getting tetchy about it as the lack of pace is unavoidable at that age and we thought it was rather poor form on behalf of the club for not giving them a buggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slingerz wrote: »
    I would think that would be particularly harsh approach given that they have paid their subs like everyone else really. I do understand the point that you are making though.

They lost over 2 holes over the course of the round and no they didnt let us play through either. At the same time we werent getting tetchy about it as the lack of pace is unavoidable at that age and we thought it was rather poor form on behalf of the club for not giving them a buggy

So I'd have a problem in this scenario.
    If you cant keep up with pace of play without using a buggy and the course (rightly!) are not letting you use one due to ground conditions then you need to reconsider playing that day, or at least the time you are playing at.

As for not letting you through, that's a breech or etiquette and the rights of everyone behind. Playing through a slower group is a right, not a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭HB2002

Russman wrote: »
    I'd agree with a lot of your post, it really doesn't take much to knock 20 minutes off a round, its basically one minute per hole which is nothing in reality.

Slightly OT, but I often wonder if guys selected for interclub and then change their way of playing for the match (taking more time, looking from every angle etc etc) actually play any better than the presumably good play that got them selected or to the handicap that qualified them ? I'd venture that most guys who play with a totally different routine than normal don't play their "normal" game and play worse. But, I agree, inter club is always slower, rightly or wrongly, and in fairness, its not a time trial.

I really meant more about focus and concentration and not to do with my routine as such.... over putts in matches I would always take more care
    which is something I should do every game... I know I have often kicked myself after missing a putt and can see the break when I go to hit my next putt!.... around the green I'm often guilty of not walking up to see just how far ont he pin is when as in a match I'd always do it... but all these things can be done at the right time and in timely fashion so as to not slow the game down......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

The problem is not old or disabled, if they can get around albeit slowly, I'm happy they can do it, probably a very enjoyable and valuable thing to do at 80 if you are lucky enough to get there.

However, bang on the middle of the weekend comp, not letting anybody through, then sorry, have a word about a better time or tell them to let people through.

Old or young, need to have respect,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

GreeBo wrote: »
    And?
    Also, not that it has any relevance to pace of play, I've been a member for over 20 years. Please let me know how much more time I need to be allowed do whatever I want and ignore other members?

I think I went on a bit of a tangent. My point is that they should be allowed to play whenever they want to play. They shouldn't be farmed out to a Friday. I'm also a member of my club for more than 20 years, that doesn't mean I feel I have more rights to the course than any other member or that some other member should play in a different time slot to when I want to play.

Having said that, they should let people through when they are holding them up.

So really it's their attitude is the problem, not their pace of play and I presume you would be just fine with these guys playing on a Saturday if they let people through straight away when they were holding up play, rather than leaving you all hanging behind for hours on end ?

-
    -
    -
    -

Anecdote time!

There is a fourball that plays in our club on a Saturday and has played at around the same time every Saturday for the last 50+ years. The time slot hasn't changed, but their group of 4 has, depending on when one of them dies/is unable to play anymore. However, when they go out, they are reasonably quick paced and let people through if they are holding them up.

This particular group is my point of reference in this debate. I would never for a second suggest that they play at a different time to anyone else. They have as much entitlement to the course as any other member.

2 main reasons for slowing your play in these formats of the game, in my opinion.

1.) You are playing for your club which brings its' own pressure and you don't want to be seen as someone who just runs up and hits the ball, you want to be seen as someone who is genuinely trying their best not to screw everything up.

2.) You are playing in a foursome. Sadly the majority of these matches (at least in connacht) take place on a Monday(bruen) or Saturday(purcell) evening, which means there is a good chance of slower play in front of you, so there's no point in rushing yourself as you'll be held up anyways

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Is it really much of an honour though ? So you've won it - just let whoever is ready hit away safe in the knowledge that everyone knows you won it.

Waiting on correct order of play adds quite a bit to slow play IMHO - ready golf is the way to go.

I like correct order of play from the tee as I think having the Honour is a nice aspect of the game. A fair reward for playing the previous hole(s) well and letting everyone around the course see that you are up first!

The other side of that is when I leave a green and I have had a 5, while my playing partner has had a 4, I instantly start training my mind that I am up second and being told to hit off first ahead of where my mind says I should be actually throws me off my preparation.

Honour on the fairway or around the green though doesnt matter a ****e imo, if you are to your ball and ready to hit, then you go ahead and hit and stop holding up the whole place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Rikand wrote: »
    I like correct order of play from the tee as I think having the Honour is a nice aspect of the game. A fair reward for playing the previous hole(s) well and letting everyone around the course see that you are up first!

The other side of that is when I leave a green and I have had a 5, while my playing partner has had a 4, I instantly start training my mind that I am up second and being told to hit off first ahead of where my mind says I should be actually throws me off my preparation.

Honour on the fairway or around the green though doesnt matter a ****e imo, if you are to your ball and ready to hit, then you go ahead and hit and stop holding up the whole place.

I am not suggesting you tell someone. I offered to let them hit first if ready as I was not. And I'd suggest that a few holes of this and your mindset changes - but there is no forcing of it.

Letting everyone around the course see you are up first ? I have to say this never even crossed my mind as something to consider until you said it. And now that you have - it is of no interest to me. Enjoying my day and scoring my best is - I couldn't give a toss if I hit off every tee box last :D

• Advertisement

Really ? Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not having a go, but you may be overthinking things a little.

At the same time, I've no issue with observing the "honour" thing as long as everyone is ready when its their turn, or you're playing with strangers etc. I find "ready golf" is great, but usually only appropriate when you're in a group of mates or people who know each other and agree beforehand that we'll play ready golf today. Just standing up and blasting away could be taken as rude if not all parties are aware.

I think I went on a bit of a tangent. My point is that they should be allowed to play whenever they want to play. They shouldn't be farmed out to a Friday. I'm also a member of my club for more than 20 years, that doesn't mean I feel I have more rights to the course than any other member or that some other member should play in a different time slot to when I want to play.

Having said that, they should let people through when they are holding them up.

So really it's their attitude is the problem, not their pace of play and I presume you would be just fine with these guys playing on a Saturday if they let people through straight away when they were holding up play, rather than leaving you all hanging behind for hours on end ?

This particular group is my point of reference in this debate. I would never for a second suggest that they play at a different time to anyone else. They have as much entitlement to the course as any other member.

I'd still have a problem even if they were letting groups through every week. By definition they are holding up play and unable to play at the expected pace, ergo, to me, its better for everyone (inc them) if they play at a time where they are not causing problems on the course and dont feel rushed by anyone else.

Again, I could care less about age, its pace of play.
    I wouldnt want a bunch of 12 year olds out either if they are hitting 150 shots each and taking 5 hours to play.

Really ? Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not having a go, but you may be overthinking things a little.

overthinking golf ? As soon as I leave the first green, I'm thinking of the 2nd tee shot. What club I want to hit, how I want to hit it and where I want to put the ball. That way as soon as I'm ready to play my turn, I know exactly what i want to do and all I have to do is make a good swing. Quickens your game right up as well too if you think like that.

Making good preparation in advance of your shot, makes you hit the ball better, which makes you a better golfer, which makes you quicker over your shot, which helps you shoot lower scores.

In My Opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

At the same time, I've no issue with observing the "honour" thing as long as everyone is ready when its their turn, or you're playing with strangers etc. I find "ready golf" is great, but usually only appropriate when you're in a group of mates or people who know each other and agree beforehand that we'll play ready golf today. Just standing up and blasting away could be taken as rude if not all parties are aware.

I tend to observe the honour with strangers. But, when you get to know lads - they say play away when ready.

So it is a hard one to call, as some tend to be very strict on it and others think it is daft.

So I tend to go by the honour when in doubt.

overthinking golf ? As soon as I leave the first green, I'm thinking of the 2nd tee shot. What club I want to hit, how I want to hit it and where I want to put the ball. That way as soon as I'm ready to play my turn, I know exactly what i want to do and all I have to do is make a good swing. Quickens your game right up as well too if you think like that.

Making good preparation in advance of your shot, makes you hit the ball better, which makes you a better golfer, which makes you quicker over your shot, which helps you shoot lower scores.

In My Opinion.

I guess that doesn't make for a bit of a relaxed round, a bit of chat - a laugh.

Does that not have you concentrating for 4 hours solid ?

I couldn't do that. Well I have a few times ,when I had to play well , but lads didn't want to play with me again. :)

2 main reasons for slowing your play in these formats of the game, in my opinion.

1.) You are playing for your club which brings its' own pressure and you don't want to be seen as someone who just runs up and hits the ball, you want to be seen as someone who is genuinely trying their best not to screw everything up.

2.) You are playing in a foursome. Sadly the majority of these matches (at least in connacht) take place on a Monday(bruen) or Saturday(purcell) evening, which means there is a good chance of slower play in front of you, so there's no point in rushing yourself as you'll be held up anyways

Why not, if that's your normal game and you win ?

Genuinely trying your best can be totally different for two different players. Going through a set of motions just so you look like you're "trying" is IMO pointless, especially if you look like you're trying not to lose as opposed to trying to win. It doesn't really matter what you're seen as, its what works for any given player that counts.

Totally agree with point 2.

I still think you should just be playing your normal game.

No point in being picked for the team because of how you play and then playing crap because you are trying to play like someone else.

I'd love to see some stats for how long it takes a pro to play a practice round (assuming just playing one ball) and see what scores they shoot...

Why not, if that's your normal game and you win ?

Genuinely trying your best can be totally different for two different players. Going through a set of motions just so you look like you're "trying" is IMO pointless, especially if you look like you're trying not to lose as opposed to trying to win. It doesn't really matter what you're seen as, its what works for any given player that counts.

Totally agree with point 2.

I think when you are playing a match for your club be it Bruen or Purcell or whatever then you do try harder.... you pay more attention and you focus more because you don't want to let anyone down yourself or the club....
    I wouldn't say I go through any set of motions to look like I'm trying... I would say that I try harder when representing the club... put more thought into the shot I decide to play and course management in general... more so than when I play at the weekend...

I guess that doesn't make for a bit of a relaxed round, a bit of chat - a laugh.

Does that not have you concentrating for 4 hours solid ?

I couldn't do that. Well I have a few times ,when I had to play well , but lads didn't want to play with me again. :)

When it comes to golf, I can multitask ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I would suggest that to speed up play a little, the order of play on the tee should be reversed i.e. worst score tees up first on next hole (except for in matchplay). This based on the following general observation:
    The weakest player in the group often tees up last and takes the longest on the tee (setting up, 2 practice swings etc before hitting the shortest drive). Therefore the stronger players often have begun walking up the fairway while the last man is still walking back to bag, putting on head cover and then proceeding at a sometimes leisurely pace up the fairway. Meanwhile the stronger players are standing round waiting for him/her to catch up and then go through the whole setting up, two swing routine again. Reversing the order would at least allow the weaker player to get to their ball quicker and play their second shot with less delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I would suggest that to speed up play a little, the order of play on the tee should be reversed i.e. worst score tees up first on next hole (except for in matchplay). This based on the following general observation:
    The weakest player in the group often tees up last and takes the longest on the tee (setting up, 2 practice swings etc before hitting the shortest drive). Therefore the stronger players often have begun walking up the fairway while the last man is still walking back to bag, putting on head cover and then proceeding at a sometimes leisurely pace up the fairway. Meanwhile the stronger players are standing round waiting for him/her to catch up and then go through the whole setting up, two swing routine again. Reversing the order would at least allow the weaker player to get to their ball quicker and play their second shot with less delay.

Where are the leaving the bag, back at the previous green? Again this is based on the generalization the weakest player is the slowest which is not usually the case. Play if you are ready, that's common sense.

if they shortened their routine from 2 swings to 1, they'd be better golfers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

if they shortened their routine from 2 swings to 1, they'd be better golfers ;)

Compounding a bad swing is all they are achieving with all the practice on the tee

I'll be honest.

Practice swings are the biggest waste of time in golf.

not just time wise. But golf wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

I'll be honest.

What's particularly fun is when you take a 'perfect' practice swing and then duff the actual shot...

Carpo86 wrote: »
    What's particularly fun is when you take a 'perfect' practice swing and then duff the actual shot...

Yes went years without taking one. But the more I play with "golfers" the more I take.

contagion as they said in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Yes went years without taking one. But the more I play with "golfers" the more I take.

contagion as they said in 2007.

I only occasionally take a proper practice swing as such. I usually just swing the club once or twice quickly as a loosener (think Loupe but not quite as lateral and without the 90 seconds of other nonsense).

I'll be honest.

I take practice swings on the first tee, more for loosening up purposes than anything else, but I don't take anymore practice swings for any other full shots for the rest of the round.

Why waste a good swing ;)

No I'm changing all the time.

Use to be grip it rip it.

Now I. Grip it. Wide. Good turn. Lag it. Bump inside. Release it.

"Hate playing with that bloke"

Myself.

• Advertisement

Myself and a friend played 18 holes this morning in Athlone - 3 hours 10 minutes.

pretty happy with it, but it could have been faster, we got through the first 9 in 1 hour 20 and then we ran into some traffic which slowed us down.

But good times were had by all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Got out early on Saturday morning only to find ourselves (a 2 ball) stuck behind another 2 ball who were backing up the whole course. A 2 ball! The four ball ahead of them got about 3 holes clear by the end of the round. Ludicrous.

You could tell from the body language that the quicker player of the two was desperately embarrassed about things. The slower was a catalogue of everything that's wrong with slow players. Agonisingly long pre-shot routine, no sense of urgency at any time, only went to his ball after his partner had hit, Langer-esque on the greens and (of course) not very good at golf.

Something must be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Society outing last week fota:

First 3 ball: 3 hrs 10
    20th 3 ball: 4hrs 37

Got out early on Saturday morning only to find ourselves (a 2 ball) stuck behind another 2 ball who were backing up the whole course. A 2 ball! The four ball ahead of them got about 3 holes clear by the end of the round. Ludicrous.

You could tell from the body language that the quicker player of the two was desperately embarrassed about things. The slower was a catalogue of everything that's wrong with slow players. Agonisingly long pre-shot routine, no sense of urgency at any time, only went to his ball after his partner had hit, Langer-esque on the greens and (of course) not very good at golf.

Something must be done!

Why didn't you say something?

Why didn't you say something?

Short of running up to them and complaining, what could I do? We never actually got into the same vicinity - we were just continually waiting behind them.

I considered saying something at the end of the round but they had gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

After reading this thread i feel like i'm now much more conscious of the my speed of play. I'm not saying i was a slow player before, but now I'm definitely much quicker.

Every time i arrive at the next tee box, the words "ready golf" are in my head.

Short of running up to them and complaining, what could I do? We never actually got into the same vicinity - we were just continually waiting behind them.

I think you HAVE to say/do something. Just walk up to them (they must be withing 150 yds at some stage). Otherwise you're only boiling your bile for a few hours and, guess what, the same thing will happen next week.

I know in our club something would be said - fairly forcibly - and, more importantly, it would be expected.

Something along the lines of 'Lads, I don't know if you've noticed but you've lost 3 holes on the crowd ahead. Any chance you could let us through?' No-one should take offence at that.

I know you're not supposed to use the phone ont he course but I think you are well within your rights to ring the clubhouse and complain to the pro and ask them to do something if things are as bad as you have said.

Do you have a course marshal?
    All thats needed is for him to drive up to the lads and tell them they have to speed up or allow people through.

It's really annoying and no matter how hard you try it will get to you and cause you to mess up some shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

If this has fixed one player , thats a start.
    Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    After reading this thread i feel like i'm now much more conscious of the my speed of play. I'm not saying i was a slow player before, but now I'm definitely much quicker.

Every time i arrive at the next tee box, the words "ready golf" are in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

I witnessed a very nasty row last year when a senior member approached young lads on our course , informing them of their slow play.

Its not the easiest thing to tell fellow golfers ye are as slow as sh1te, no matter how kind you say it, I have done it a few times, I picked on a well built scottish female golfer one day, if looks could kill, they backed up the course something rotten, twice a year golfers playing in our open singles.

Course rangers we had two of them in the good days, now we have none..

ANother bug bear..
    Lads when they get to the tee box,, fannying around, looking for stuff in the bag, taking out distance devices, debating about the honour and talking ****e, ...get up their and hit it..first to tee , hit..

• Advertisement

This thread made me slower.
    Particularly after someone saying they want the full course to see they have honour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We (3ball) played behind a 4ball two weeks ago, there was no sign of them when we teed off (could see first 3holes) and we caught them on the 7th tee, they continued to hold us up (and eventually a number of other groups) all the way home on each shot and despite a polite request would not let us through.
    The reason I make the post is that last week we went out as a 4ball and two of the same people from the group I mentioned above (playing as a 3ball) phoned in a complaint on the first green that there was a 2 ball and 4 ball ahead of them and they wanted to play through, we found this out because we naturally let the 2 ball through after a couple of holes and they told us, neither the 2 ball or our 4 ball were holding anyone up but we decided to let them through anyway as the ranger recommended same, they then played through the 2ball on the request of the course ranger, they did not make ground on anyone ahead of them and proceeded to hold all up from the 8th hole onwards.
    As we reached the end of our round we could see they lost 3 holes by the 18th.

What to be done? You request to be let through and nothing happens, a ranger requests you to let a slow group through and on both occasions your round (and the round of all behind you) is unfairly held up.
    You certainly can't complain to the committee as in this case the two gentlemen in question are on the committee.

This is the single aspect of golf that sickens me...rant over

Lol Phoning in to play through two groups and holding everyone up.

I think I would have burst a blood vessel and shouted something that would have had me banned.

Who do they think they are

slave1 wrote: »
    We (3ball) played behind a 4ball two weeks ago, there was no sign of them when we teed off (could see first 3holes) and we caught them on the 7th tee, they continued to hold us up (and eventually a number of other groups) all the way home on each shot and despite a polite request would not let us through.
    The reason I make the post is that last week we went out as a 4ball and two of the same people from the group I mentioned above (playing as a 3ball) phoned in a complaint on the first green that there was a 2 ball and 4 ball ahead of them and they wanted to play through, we found this out because we naturally let the 2 ball through after a couple of holes and they told us, neither the 2 ball or our 4 ball were holding anyone up but we decided to let them through anyway as the ranger recommended same, they then played through the 2ball on the request of the course ranger, they did not make ground on anyone ahead of them and proceeded to hold all up from the 8th hole onwards.

What to be done? You request to be let through and nothing happens, a ranger requests you to let a slow group through and on both occasions your round (and the round of all behind you) is unfairly held up.
    You certainly can't complain to the committee as in this case the two gentlemen in question are on the committee.

The WTF's are just piling up here. Are you a man or a mouse?

Just to clarify:
    • You play one week and a crowd hold you up.
    • You play the next week and you let the crowd who held you up play through - even though you were not holding them up. They proceed to hold you up.
    • You put up with this
    • You do not complain to the committee
    • You come on boards and have an oul rant
    You deserve all you get. Tell me, have you ever told someone to GFY? You should try it sometime.

I cannot believe how wimpy people on this thread are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• You play one week and a crowd hold you up.
    • You play the next week and you let the crowd who held you up play through - even though you were not holding them up. They proceed to hold you up.

Yes, as requested by the course ranger so we effectively had no choice in the matter
    • You put up with this
    • You do not complain to the committee

Two of the guys in question are on the committee so a complaint would not get anywhere.
    • You come on boards and have an oul rant

Yep
    You deserve all you get. Tell me, have you ever told someone to GFY? You should try it sometime.
    Life's a bit short to resort to that IMHO

I cannot believe how wimpy people on this thread are.
    Yeah, there's a big difference between posting on an internet forum and following up said actions on a golf course mate.

Apart from the rant, the point of the post is you can only go so far with speeding up slow play as there are some folk that are pure ignorant of others and will never change, and they can be arseholes about it...

Print out on an A4 page, 'Could members of the Committee stop demanding to play through and holding up play

Regards
    The Guys Behind '

Put it on the notice board

Apart from the rant, the point of the post is you can only go so far with speeding up slow play as there are some folk that are pure ignorant of others and will never change, and they can be arseholes about it...

But you have to ask yourself, how is this ever going to change if you just accept it and do nothing? Evil triumphs and all that......

I agree that it can be a bit stressful 'having a go' but the alternative is just seething away until you finally snap.

I would have thought that the two lads being on the committee is all the more reason to say something. People in positions of 'authority' should be above approach and can be held to account.

IMHO you should have said a polite but firm 'No' to the ranger.

Oh and I'm not your mate :)

So what did they actually say when you asked to play through and they said no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Our club have decided on a novel way off speeding up slow players. A ranger drives up to them tells them there are on the clock and follows them with a yellow flag for all to see until they get back to their right position. Now while this may not work and the ranger would want to be forceful in carrying out this, i sure as hell wouldn't want him behind me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

But you have to ask yourself, how is this ever going to change if you just accept it and do nothing? Evil triumphs and all that......

I agree that it can be a bit stressful 'having a go' but the alternative is just seething away until you finally snap.

I would have thought that the two lads being on the committee is all the more reason to say something. People in positions of 'authority' should be above approach and can be held to account.

IMHO you should have said a polite but firm 'No' to the ranger.

Oh and I'm not your mate :)
    If only life was that easy.

A)why didn't the range do his job? Because he's one of the boys!

b)Some people believe that being on a committee gives them free reign - that'll never change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement