Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canagan versus royal canin

• 02-04-2014 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Was just wondering about what people might think, my 6-7 month old cavalier king charles puppy has been on royal canin food designed for his breed since we got him, under vets instructions, however canagan recently became available in our local pet shop and it has been very appealing, as it has no grain and seems to have better meat/veg content, thus making it a preferable food. We bought a bag and so far himself
    Is mad for it, was just wondering if anyone else has used it? Is it genuinely better than royal canin? Its somewhat more expensive but worth it if its better for him!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

My dog is over 12 years and has eaten only canned food all his healthy life. However, age has caught up with him lately and the local vet recommended that he go onto dry food and, to begin with, I should use one bag of Royal Canin to settle his digestive system. I pick it up later this morning but, in the meantime I already started him on my local supermarket's own brand dry food. He gobbled it up and I was pleased to hear him crunch away as if he had been on it all along. I think he will be fine on the supermarket brand once the more expensive Royal Canin is all used up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Kingup, the ingredients in Canagan look much better to me, so I'd imagine you're making the right choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just had a look at Canagans ingredients and they are far superior and better quality than RC so you are def making the right choice feeding Canagan.
    What kind of price is it for a big bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kingup

andreac wrote: »
    Just had a look at Canagans ingredients and they are far superior and better quality than RC so you are def making the right choice feeding Canagan.
    What kind of price is it for a big bag?

Not sure about a big bag, my
    Partner went to get it and it was 17e for a bag of organic chicken (2kg) while it used to be 15e for a bag of royal canin (1.5kg) so theres not much difference really and it does seem to be much better, puppy is crazier for it than he was for the rc!! Hes got a really sensitive tummy so i was delighted that it hasnt caused any upset tummys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Its £58 in the UK for a 12kg bag. Will be interesting to see how much to buy over here.

• Advertisement

Usually too with those hgher quality foods you need to feed less of it so usually works out good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Popescu wrote: »
    My dog is over 12 years and has eaten only canned food all his healthy life. However, age has caught up with him lately and the local vet recommended that he go onto dry food and, to begin with, I should use one bag of Royal Canin to settle his digestive system. I pick it up later this morning but, in the meantime I already started him on my local supermarket's own brand dry food. He gobbled it up and I was pleased to hear him crunch away as if he had been on it all along. I think he will be fine on the supermarket brand once the more expensive Royal Canin is all used up.

I think it's wrong to assume that just because your dog gobbles up a certain food that it's going to be good for his overall welfare, my dog would eat any old crap if I let her. Own brand supermarket foods are pretty low quality. RC is really expensive for what you're getting. There's a thread on here (somewhere!) that gives a good break down of good quality foods for all purses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

How would it compare to Burns Chicken and Brown Rice

No experience in burns, as good as food as it is, puppy has awful diahrea since switching and so does the older dog, im really really hoping itll pass once theyre used to it, but its violent for the moment!!

Did you switch over gradually over a week or so? Slowly increasing the new food and reducing the old one?

• Advertisement

Yep there was a gradual change, the same way we transitioned him from pedigree(what the breeder had him on) to royal canin, but there wasnt any problems then :/ hope this is a short term thing!!

If it's as bad as you say then it might be that it doesn't suit them. I wouldn't leave them like that for too much longer.

andreac wrote: »
    If it's as bad as you say then it might be that it doesn't suit them. I wouldn't leave them like that for too much longer.

Yeah i was thinking that, the weird thing though is that the first week it was all fine 😰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive just bought a bag of Canagan for my elderly gastric-issue dog.
    Hes fed home cooked food, but for 'lunch' I give him a handful of dry food (he is food obsessed).
    Im in the process of switching him from Burns over to Canagan.
    Bought it for E17/2kg at Petco on Longmile Rd (v.knowledgable manager & good selection of better quality food/healthy 'snacks'/treats)
    The ingredients in the Canagan which are Grain Free (my first criteria) are v.impressive:

fresh scottish salmon 26%.sweet potato, dried salmon 10%, herring 8%, peas, potato, dried white fish 5.5%, salmon oil, fresh trout 4, alfalfa, sunflower oil, salmon gravy, pea protein, minerals, vitamins, apple, carrot, spinach, seaweed, psyllium, camomile, peppermint, marigold, granberry, aniseed & fenugreek.

Sounds good for human consumption!!
    He doesnt seem to have any issues in the transition so far.

I also bought some blister-packs of SYMPLY dog food - new? - by the same co. as Canagan. Very impressive ingredients too - havent tried it yet (for emergencies!) E1.99/packet, but 1 would do my little terrier for 2 dinners...

(And I admit that I bought a 4pack of Doggie Frozen Yogurt :o (for hot days when the dogs are in need of a cool down :P))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

aonb wrote: »

(And I admit that I bought a 4pack of Doggie Frozen Yogurt :o (for hot days when the dogs are in need of a cool down :P))

I just make my own, cheap yoghurt from Lidl, and I alternate what I mix it with, banana, manuka honey, peanut butter :)

aonb wrote: »
    Bought it for E17/2kg at Petco on Longmile Rd (v.knowledgable manager & good selection of better quality food/healthy 'snacks'/treats)

On that note, petco is brilliant, all the staff are friendly and know what theyre talking about! Problem is i often go in for 'just' a bag of food and come out with kongs or their loose dentasticks or other things we couldnt bare to leave behind :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

muddypaws wrote: »
    I just make my own, cheap yoghurt from Lidl, and I alternate what I mix it with, banana, manuka honey, peanut butter :)

I never even thought of that :o Sad huh??!
    My dogs hate banana but I can add some honey or peanut butter - will def try it. The dogs love the natural Greek yogourt form Lidl - comes in a 'bucket' - we buy tons of it, cos its really good! ALso give it to my hens who really go bananas for it (good for healthy crops)

Advertisement