Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody doing the Great Run Sunday?

• 02-04-2014 8:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

hi,

just had a look at the route through the phoenix park for the great ireland run this sunday. looks like the 2nd 5km on the day is hilly, not what you want, id prefer that at the start to get it out of the way.

cant post an image of the route, it's a pdf file, but looks like we go up the hill by st. mary's hospital, this is at the 7km point, prior to that looks like we cut across the section by magazine fort, few hills there too.

but sure it'll be grand on the day eh! have never actually done 10k before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Doing it too. Should be good even though there are hills. Did the FIT race last month and the hills killed me the second time around. Best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I'm going again (8th yr in a row),and as there is no mention of Bekele there will be 1 less ahead of me this year which makes a top 1300 place a possibility:o Nothing much about what elites are going,Irish or otherwise??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

hawkwing wrote: »
    I'm going again (8th yr in a row),and as there is no mention of Bekele there will be 1 less ahead of me this year which makes a top 1300 place a possibility:o Nothing much about what elites are going,Irish or otherwise??

http://www.rte.ie/sport/features/2013/0114/362634-great-ireland-run/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Isn't it unusual that this is the national 10k event, and it is probably the least spoken about race in the race calendar? Do club athletes no longer take this race seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Isn't it unusual that this is the national 10k event, and it is probably the least spoken about race in the race calendar? Do club athletes no longer take this race seriously?

Very few of our seniors are doing it, even though the training sessions for the last few weeks have been building up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

I see limited entry still available - what is cost of entry? Thks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

I hear about 600 entered via AAI GIR for National 10k, so probably 400 of those will run..
    I actually really enjoy this race, plenty of buzz around it and live on telly. Course is a tough second half after a flying first half.. But last km is really quick if you have anything left...
    All these Nationals in Dublin is a costly business for country cousins who have to travel..

Re elites, always a good few in it Korir World cross country champ is running in Mens .
    Womens has Fionnuala B, will be up v Sophie Duarte , Helen Clitheroe, maybe Catherina Mckeirnan will have a good run. http://sportsnewsireland.com/olympics2016/european-cross-country-champion-confirmed-for-spar-great-ireland-run-next-sunday-2014-04-01/#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I'll be there - I've done loads of races in the Phoenix Park since moving back to Ireland last summer and this is my first time doing the Great Ireland Run. Yes, the course is hilly in the second half but that'll be a good challenge. I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Can anyone who knows the course, give me an idea where the hills are and how long they are? Always presumed the phoenix park was flat having running through it during DCM. Guess we only ran through the flat part :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

here's the profile
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/3525012

First 4k flat
    a k downhill (Kyber Road)
    up Military
    rolling up and down through the S-bends
    up Upper Glen Road
    and the last k is flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

RubyK wrote: »
    Can anyone who knows the course, give me an idea where the hills are and how long they are? Always presumed the phoenix park was flat having running through it during DCM. Guess we only ran through the flat part :o
    Hill is 7- 9 k you ran down it in Dcm on the way to water stop at chapelizod , it s a bit tougher the other way! , Dcm wasn't all flat in the park there is a more gentle incline in the bit that's run there ,but not flat although it doesn't feel bad as it's the early part of the marathon .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

where/if possible i'll be running on the grass to save the back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

brutes1 wrote: »
    I hear about 600 entered via AAI GIR for National 10k, so probably 400 of those will run..
    I actually really enjoy this race, plenty of buzz around it and live on telly. Course is a tough second half after a flying first half.. But last km is really quick if you have anything left...
    All these Nationals in Dublin is a costly business for country cousins who have to travel..

Re elites, always a good few in it Korir World cross country champ is running in Mens .
    Womens has Fionnuala B, will be up v Sophie Duarte , Helen Clitheroe, maybe Catherina Mckeirnan will have a good run. http://sportsnewsireland.com/olympics2016/european-cross-country-champion-confirmed-for-spar-great-ireland-run-next-sunday-2014-04-01/#

590 entered, 157 classed as Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I was gonna say the same thing. Its not a popular race for whatever reasons(The Richard Nixon of road races) and that was even before they made it the national 10k.
    RubyK wrote: »

First 5k is fast enough but then you hit military hill which isnt the steepest climb in the world but for some reason seems incredibly hard at that point in the race. I dunno maybe its just me but I come to an almost standstill once I hit that climb. Then it kind of flattens out for a bit, you hit the S-bends which are deceptive because it feels like your climbing even though it might look flat. Then theres a downhll followed by another climb up the upper glen road which again is a tough hill. Then its down into the furry glen, turn left and.......another climb. This for me is the worst of the lot. The first part of this is short and sharp, which then turns into a gradual climb out of the glen, turn right and its up and down for a bit, then you hit the last km marker and by that stage you're a slobbering mess praying for the sweet embrace of death. The finish is one straight and long stretch, think theres markers every 200m which in theory is helpful but in reality is like the chinese water torcher. I do enjoy this race on some level but that second 5k is murder. They used to give 5k splits(I think they should bring that back) and I think the general trend was at least 60secs between the two......and that was if you were doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

I'm looking forward to this. It's my first 10K since I started running last year. I tried the route recently, and agree the first half is straightforward. Pace yourself on the climbs and you can finish quickly. The final 1km is flat and relatively sheltered.
    tunguska wrote: »
    military hill which isnt the steepest climb in the world but for some reason seems incredibly hard

If there's a westerly breeze, it's going to nail you here once you get out into the open after the trees at the bottom of the hill.
    by that stage you're a slobbering mess praying for the sweet embrace of death.

Hopefully won't be me! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I'm running it and I've been looking forward to it for ages but I've been having ITB trouble so I'm expecting a bit of a disaster. The course is similar to the Irish Runners 5 Mile with a few extra bits.
    Running uphill seems to hurt less for whatever reason so hopefully I'll escape and manage a good race.

Oh yes, forgot this one goes through the glen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'll be doing it. Haven't done 10k at all this year, but i wouldn't want to miss this. Sort of an annual thing.

RayCun wrote: »
    Oh yes, forgot this one goes through the glen

The glen seems to me to be unnecessary really, why so many hills in such a short period? The could have skipped that part and extended the flat finish to make up the 10km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone who has done this in the past, what time would you need to be there for? I am coming up from Louth (will park in the q-park in usher quay then probably walk to the phoenix park). Im in the orange wave, so think that starts at 13:30, when should I be there for?

• Advertisement

Long queues for the toilets and you'll want to drop a bag, I'd aim for 1pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks for the replies, I remember that lovely downhill out of the park in dcm and smiling at club mates who were out in support. Say il have a different face on me Sunday!
    I was gonna say the same thing. Its not a popular race for whatever reasons(The Richard Nixon of road races) and that was even before they made it the national 10k.

First 5k is fast enough but then you hit military hill which isnt the steepest climb in the world but for some reason seems incredibly hard at that point in the race. I dunno maybe its just me but I come to an almost standstill once I hit that climb. Then it kind of flattens out for a bit, you hit the S-bends which are deceptive because it feels like your climbing even though it might look flat. Then theres a downhll followed by another climb up the upper glen road which again is a tough hill. Then its down into the furry glen, turn left and.......another climb. This for me is the worst of the lot. The first part of this is short and sharp, which then turns into a gradual climb out of the glen, turn right and its up and down for a bit, then you hit the last km marker and by that stage you're a slobbering mess praying for the sweet embrace of death. The finish is one straight and long stretch, think theres markers every 200m which in theory is helpful but in reality is like the chinese water torcher. I do enjoy this race on some level but that second 5k is murder. They used to give 5k splits(I think they should bring that back) and I think the general trend was at least 60secs between the two......and that was if you were doing well.

Jebas Tunguska, I should really have posted this question before I signed up ;-)
    Thanks for the honest description tho. I'm only running this to try and find my racing mojo, haven't run a 10k since march 2011. Hope this one doesn't put me off for another 3 years :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

doing this myself on sunday. was looking forward to it till you all mentioned the climb at 7-9km, i'd forgot about that (did the run 4 years ago)

weather's not to be great either, heard them say showers but hopefully the wind will be next to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi all,
    I have signed up at the last minute,was going to skip it this year but after running it for the past 3 years,I like the challenge of the 7-9K bit, when the lungs are burning and the grass turns blue due to oxygen starvation! I am in the orange group too,aiming for sub 50 if possible, fingers crossed and a couple bottles of Lucozade Sport all will be well....

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Do you think any of the 37-38 min runners will get picked up on the RTE Broadcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Do you think any of the 37-38 min runners will get picked up on the RTE Broadcast?

No I dont think so. I ran just under 33mins 2 yrs ago and there was a brief shot of me coming down the home stretch. And that was the last of what was shown from the first man across the line.

Any tips on what to use to hydrate for a novice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Water ! For a race of this length and provided you are well hydrated during the morning , you don't need sports drinks or anything fancy. A sip of water halfway around will be more than enough, even if it is warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

Looking forward to this now. I am hoping for sub 45 but it'll be tough for me. IM in the orange group, was thinking of moving down the groups but reckon I'll stay where I am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Travelling up from 'the schticks' anyone know if there is on street parking near the phoenix park?
    Thanks

Advertisement