Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody doing the Great Run Sunday?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

denis160 wrote: »
    Travelling up from 'the schticks' anyone know if there is on street parking near the phoenix park?
    Thanks

Not really, you could try to find a place to park in castleknock, there's a small car park across the road from Myo's pub, just next to a petrol station, but you'd want to get there early to nab a place. Other than that you're looking at multi story in the city, or CIE car park in Hueston station, about a 25 min walk to the start line from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

denis160 wrote: »
    Travelling up from 'the schticks' anyone know if there is on street parking near the phoenix park?
    Thanks

Navan Road Parkway might be an option. It's on the Navan Road, within walking distance of the Phoenix Park. It's €4 to park there for the day, but you can only park by phone so would need card details with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Cool, will take a look at both.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There are a lot of bus lanes outside the walls of the park. Ones which do not operate on Sundays...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yep, the CIE car park in Heuston is handy. Lots of spaces, secure and only 20-25 mins walk to the start line (part of ur warm up!). More importantly, after the race it is a 'downhill walk' from the finish line for tired and sore limbs!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Weather isn't great today, hope the wind dies down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Erred on the side of caution & drove to red cow & got luas from there. Presently on our way, eldest daughter running in junior run for 1st time so great excitement all round with her! Thanks for replies, will know for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Are the results up yet? I'm surprised there isn't a thread about the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Think the results are published tomorrow in the indo.

Nothing released until then.

The weather held up pretty well overall. Thought it was a well organised event except for the part where we passed in front of St Mary's hospital. One of the stewards was letting cars through at the expense of runners who got held up! Crazy stuff.

I don't know about others but the number of times a runner in front of me would suddenly change course and run right in my line was unbelievable. Guess I have to put it down to the numbers running the race.

First time running 10k, the hills were tough enough in the latter stages, but got through it without stopping so I'm happy with that.

I will pencil in another one in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

More awesome running by Catherina McKiernan, 2nd in the National championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Disaster of a run for me

Went to bed last night looking to do 50 minutes or less, little did I know my 6 month boy was going to have me up from 3.30am being sick :(

Got round the easier first 5km rather well but then when the hills started, no energy or strength in the legs to push up the hills

Finished in a struggling 57 minutes. Just happy to finish it in the end

Was well organised as you'd expect. One thing though is the app on my phone had the km markers before all the ones set out. Clocked at 10.3km in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dj08

My Garmin clocked the course at 6.28 miles at the finish line

I think many people found that but in this case it does not really matter. It is never a PB course and rather a challenge on pacing and grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Numbers seems to be way down on the last few years,very little traffic in what was a very packed race for a few years.I think the indo results thing is costing them more than it is worth,together with so many other races etc etc.Enjoyable day though and good to have a first race since DCM 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yep,
    I agree with Shane that it is more of a 'challenge' than a PB course, I really enjoyed the race and managed a sub 50 (40 secs under), which I was delighted with as I missed sub 40 (by 15 secs) in the Raheny 5 mile earlier in the year!
    The 4K walk/hobble back to Heuston Station was the hardest part of the day mind! Gonna take to the pool and try a Triathlon next......:eek:

so you have to buy the independent to get your result?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Results in Indo are in alphabetical order, so basically just a list of finishing times and not actual results/placing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

This was my first race and have to say I really enjoyed it.

The weather was great and maybe the long sleeves were a bad idea but no matter I just wanted to finish without stopping. I was always a casual 5km runner never really took notice of my times just jogged to keep fit.
    In Feb. someone said I should do 10km as I may be bored with 5km and so I started training for it at the end of Feb.

I don't know how but I took a minute off my PB so that means I must not really push myself when training.

I am now thinking I want to go for a further distance! I think I may have caught the bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

emerald007 wrote: »

Results from 2013 is all I can see!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

emerald007 wrote: »

Last years i think ??

Am probably better off without results tbh, pig of a second half of race yesterday, wind and hills made it a bugger... ! It all seemed so easy till 5k...

ciaran76 wrote: »
    This was my first race and have to say I really enjoyed it.

The weather was great and maybe the long sleeves were a bad idea but no matter I just wanted to finish without stopping. I was always a casual 5km runner never really took notice of my times just jogged to keep fit.
    In Feb. someone said I should do 10km as I may be bored with 5km and so I started training for it at the end of Feb.

I don't know how but I took a minute of my PB so that means I must not really push myself when training.

I am now thinking I want to go for a further distance! I think I may have caught the bug.

Your race times should always be faster than your times in training. Races are where you can just go for it and really push yourself - if you're doing that three/four times a week in training, you'll end up burnt out and injured.

Stick around the forum here and read back on some of the threads and logs. You'll pick up some great information.

who_ru wrote: »
    so you have to buy the independent to get your result?

Results will be put up online later today. They have a deal with the Indo to publish them in the paper first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

brutes1 wrote: »
    Last years i think ??

I'm some eejit. I was looking at that thinking "wow, I did the EXACT same time as last year..." I never bothered to look at the date. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

dj08 wrote: »
    My Garmin clocked the course at 6.28 miles at the finish line

A certified 10K course will measure 10k at an absolute minimum by shortest racing line, and is usually a few meters more (which is normal and within regulation, better 10 meters long than short). As you will never run a race exactly on measured racing line you will most often run slightly more than specified distance.. If you got exactly 10K on a course its likely to be short in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

vitani wrote: »
    Your race times should always be faster than your times in training. Races are where you can just go for it and really push yourself - if you're doing that three/four times a week in training, you'll end up burnt out and injured.

Stick around the forum here and read back on some of the threads and logs. You'll pick up some great information.

Thanks Vitani.

Yes I have started reading the training logs and am following a training plan on Runkeeper.

I maybe shouldn't have run yesterday as I hadn't finished my training plan but I had trained and did 13km and 12km the last 2 Sundays at a steady pace.

I will finish of the training plan in the next 4 weeks and then see where I am after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

hawkwing wrote: »
    Numbers seems to be way down on the last few years,very little traffic in what was a very packed race for a few years.I think the indo results thing is costing them more than it is worth,together with so many other races etc etc.Enjoyable day though and good to have a first race since DCM 13.
    Just checked the numbers now and a bit of a collapse in the finishing numbers as i thought,i think a further reduction in the entry fee and the "Indo" getting the road for the next day results is on the cards :

2009-7886 finishers
    2010-8236 finishers
    2011-7898 finishers
    2012-7614 finishers
    2013-6182 finishers
    2014-4991 finishers

hawkwing wrote: »
    Just checked the numbers now and a bit of a collapse in the finishing numbers as i thought,i think a further reduction in the entry fee and the "Indo" getting the road for the next day results is on the cards :

2009-7886 finishers
    2010-8236 finishers
    2011-7898 finishers
    2012-7614 finishers
    2013-6182 finishers
    2014-4991 finishers

That explains it. I was three minutes quicker than last year but jumped 900 places in the finishing positions. I knew something didn't make sense there.

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    That explains it. I was three minutes quicker than last year but jumped 900 places in the finishing positions. I knew something didn't make sense there.

So if 8000 people did actually enter as they said yesterday then over 3000 did not turn up or finish.

Not great stats

Advertisement