Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody doing the Great Run Sunday?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Big dropoff alright. Think its a great event and the fact its on telly gives athletics some exposure to the public. Pity they didnt mention the top 3 Irish men or women as they crossed the line- Hanrahan smoked a few of the elites in a great run yet got no mention by RTE.
    Agree with the price drop and immediate results. Its a beast of a course but a right good challenge. The likes of Connemara on the same day must have taken away a few runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So if 8000 people did actually enter as they said yesterday then over 3000 did not turn up or finish.

They could be doing like Limerick, counting kids in the entry numbers

That's some drop-off though

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I think it was 8000 overall including the other events going on before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

colin32 wrote: »
    I think it was 8000 overall including the other events going on before hand

I am thinking that might be it but the announcer specifically said it was for the main race with another figure for the junior and mini.

Anyway, i enjoyed it and it did no harm being less crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

hawkwing wrote: »
    Numbers seems to be way down on the last few years,very little traffic in what was a very packed race for a few years.I think the indo results thing is costing them more than it is worth,together with so many other races etc etc.

I wouldn't imagine not being able to get your result until the next day would put people off entering a race, would it? It never even occurs to me to check beforehand when the results will become available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

what about the emergence of parkrun? free and on every weekend. It probably took a good few away from this event. And 29 bucks was a nice bit to have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

eoinín wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine not being able to get your result until the next day would put people off entering a race, would it? It never even occurs to me to check beforehand when the results will become available.
    It doesn't bother me too much as i have done this every time since 2007,but judging by the great run facebook page a lot of people are not too happy with it when they realise they have to wait for a day to get them.This delay only started in the last 2 years i think.Personally i enjoy this race and more so in the last couple of years since the numbers have dropped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

I don't see why people make a big deal about getting their race time the next day. Forone this was my first time doing this and seeing all the people there only added to the enjoyment. The weather was great and the course was a bit of a challenge. I will do this again regardless of the price. If people are looking for a finishing time as soon as the race is over then buy a stop watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    I don't see why people make a big deal about getting their race time the next day. Forone this was my first time doing this and seeing all the people there only added to the enjoyment. The weather was great and the course was a bit of a challenge. I will do this again regardless of the price. If people are looking for a finishing time as soon as the race is over then buy a stop watch.

Thats not really the point though. People are getting annoyed because they're effectively being held to ransom by the Irish Independent. 30 bills is a lot for a 10k, I mean theres plenty of high quality races for half that price where the results would literally be up on the wall a few minutes after the race had ended. Dunboyne 4 miler the previous week is a great example of this. The message is, you want your result, then you buy the paper, and that doesnt sit well with a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »

Yeah me neither, if it bothers you that much you just have to go into a news agent and look up your result without buying the paper.
    this was my first 10km back trying to get fit after a long time out with an ankle injury and the buzz was fantastic.
    I really like this race despite the bad press it gets from club runners.
    The course is challenging, getting to see racing heros in person and watching it all again on tv is just great.
    For the show thats put on 29 euros is not all that much in this day and age.

however it would be a lot better if I was fitter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement