Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man drives car through Trinity front gates

Options
  • 02-04-2014 9:36am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is mad. A man drove a car from inside Trinity through the beautiful wooden front gates, wrecking them, out the gate and UP Dawson Street where more cars were damaged...coming from that direction he'd have been going the wrong way up Dawson Street :eek:

Wonder what the reasoning behind this was? What would anyone get out of this? Angry about the new rebrand perhaps?! This seems like a silly way to protest. I suppose time till tell.
    The gates look really badly damaged in the pics, story here on The Journal.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

miamee wrote: »
    This is mad. A man drove a car from inside Trinity through the beautiful wooden front gates, wrecking them, out the gate and UP Dawson Street where more cars were damaged...coming from that direction he'd have been going the wrong way up Dawson Street :eek:

Wonder what the reasoning behind this was? What would anyone get out of this? Angry about the new rebrand perhaps?! This seems like a silly way to protest. I suppose time till tell.
    The gates looks really badly damaged in the pics, story here on The Journal.

They'll need to get those gates repaired smartish...the Trinity ball is on friday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

The gates look really badly damaged in the pics, story here on The Journal.

Or perhaps the man was confused and/or suffering with any number of medical conditions

Bandara wrote: »
    Or perhaps the man was confused and/or suffering with any number of medical conditions

Half the academics are suffering from some medical conditions lol

The stroy i heard was that he was on the premises driving around like a lunatic(there are major restrictions inplace with the upcoming ball) and security closed the front gate to keep him in...he then drove through the gate,took a left turn onto nassau st and milled two cars on the way up dawson st.

Edit:

I've since heard that he drove into the college from college green at 6am,front gate opens between 5-7am for deliveries etc.

He stopped at the security hut and was told to turn his radio down wheerupon he tore off into the college and commenced skidding around front square,damaging two cars in the process. When the guards shut the front gate to stop him escaping he rammed the door four times(in a merc) untill he eventually broke through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Sad that a part of history was damaged by this idiot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Bandara wrote: »

That did also occur to me.

• Advertisement

That did also occur to me.

Word on the corridor is that he's had his parking permit revoked as a retired staff member and didnt take it too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

Irish Independent saying he is "understood to be a retired publican from Finglas."
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/trinity-vandal-screamed-at-security-to-open-gates-30151405.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭despot

robertxxx wrote: »
    Sad that a part of history was damaged by this idiot.

lol its a door

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

^yep - lolz!
    Just a fairly old oak door, nice piece of work. Should have still been there when you (and I) are dust in the wind. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

chopper6 wrote: »
    Word on the corridor is that he's had his parking permit revoked as a retired staff member and didnt take it too well.

has this been confirmed?

fryup wrote: »
    has this been confirmed?

Nope it was proven to be just a rumour.

Seems he's a publican,ex boxer who took a bit of a funny turn or had some beef with the college that nobody understands.

One of the security guards,ex army got his hand damaged tryin to grab the car door and he said yer man was an absolute monster.

Advertisement