Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Smart' Responses

• 02-04-2014 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Just reading the thread where a user asks what are the benefits of running and noticed 'smart comments' which I think are totally unnecessary.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057181214

What benefit does responses like "The benefit is you'll be able to run 3.5km in one go seven times a week" add to anything?

Its something I've noticed here before, as well as across several fitness communities on the internet. I think its something that should be stamped out here, responses like the above are hardly going to encourage people to take up fitness activities. I didn't think I'd ever look for tighter moderation on boards, but comments like the above to genuine questions add nothing other than to discourage people to either ask questions or worse try to get in shape

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As that was my response, the OP was apologised to if it appeared as if I was dismissing the post out of hand.

I did also try ot offer some advice afterwards so I would disagree that I was discouraging the OP.

But I take the point that it could have which is why I apologised to the OP.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My reading of that particular comment, was that it referred (slightly obliquely) to the fact that fitness is adaptation for a purpose, and that how you train leads to the adaptation you gain. I presumed AV was pointing out to the op that if you train to run 3.5k per day, that is exactly what you will gain from it - the ability to run 3.5k per day! I have seen similar comments before in various fitness based fora (around here) without any offence being inferred.

Edit: The post in question has not been reported as problematic, either.

Oryx wrote: »
    My reading of that particular comment, was that it referred (slightly obliquely) to the fact that fitness is adaptation for a purpose, and that how you train leads to the adaptation you gain. I presumed AV was pointing out to the op that if you train to run 3.5k per day, that is exactly what you will gain from it - the ability to run 3.5k per day! I have seen similar comments before in various fitness based fora (around here) without any offence being inferred.

Edit: The post in question has not been reported as problematic, either.

That was what I had intended it to mean, with no context to goals or current running ability.

But it doesn't obviously read as that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What's the point in starting a thread to complain about contributions when you never contribute?

Would be easier to start contributing positively than negatively.

2 ways to have the tallest building in town.

1) build yours up the highest
    2) tear everyone else's down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Hanley wrote: »
    What's the point in starting a thread to complain about contributions when you never contribute?

Perhaps smart answers are one of the reasons why people are slow to contribute.

If someone asks a question that is obviously an uninformed but well-meaning one, then provide decent answers. Alf Veedersane is a very active and positive contributor to the forum, unfortunately on this occasion, to those who would only be infrequent or occasional viewers, his answer reads as glib and smart. A thread title like "What is the Benefit of Running" is going to attract a lot of views, it's one of those questions that - if you're well read in fitness - you'll almost instinctively know the answer, but to those less "in the know" it's a very valid question.

I get that it's frustrating when the same questions are asked over and over and over again and even moreso when you know that a question could easily be answered by a Google Search, but give new faces the benefit of the doubt and make the effort to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Jerrica wrote: »
    Perhaps smart answers are one of the reasons why people are slow to contribute.

You're just giving people who never contribute and excuse to whinge about contributions.

I'd be confident enough saying that anyone who doesnt contribute because of the possibility of getting smart replies wouldn't have been a good contributor anyway.

You're just giving people who never contribute and excuse to whinge about contributions.

I'd be confident enough saying that anyone who doesnt contribute because of the possibility of getting smart replies wouldn't have been a good contributor anyway.

You know those threads you see about people who are scared or afraid to go tot a gym for the first time? Should all those people just not bother because they don't have the potential to get in shape if they can't cross the threshold?

We were all beginners once. Some of us found it easier to get stuck in, others needed a little bit of encouragement. If you're going to restrict contributors to the former then it'll be a pretty narrow bunch of folks in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

It's a bad state of affairs if nobody can have a laugh here anymore.

My two cents, grow thicker skin, it's the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

HTFU supplements required IMO.

You know those threads you see about people who are scared or afraid to go tot a gym for the first time? Should all those people just not bother because they don't have the potential to get in shape if they can't cross the threshold?

We were all beginners once. Some of us found it easier to get stuck in, others needed a little bit of encouragement. If you're going to restrict contributors to the former then it'll be a pretty narrow bunch of folks in here.

You're missing the point.

People need to be able to dismiss the smart answers as just that, someone being a smart ass, and do some homework to be able to pick out whats valuable.

Being precious about it is riduculous. Especially on a internet message board. Christ... what do these people do in real life?

I'm all for beginners posting, and beginners becoming regular and knowledgeable contributors, but I'd expect them to brush off the inevitable smart comments and absolutely not use that as an excuse not to contribute.

Outside of the world of the internet, a person with that attitude is going to fin d it very hard to do anything in life.

Storm in a teacup anyway this whole thread.

• Advertisement

When someone says "I think there's a problem here" there's an option to listen and discuss - you don't need to agree with it, but you can listen. Instead it's dismissed as folks being "precious" and they are questioned on how they'll get in in life. That's some pretty fantastic deflection.

I'm just not a fan of being a dick for the sake of it. I guess I'm old fashioned like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I've nearly posted on this board many times, when I've felt I'd something to contribute, but then decided it wasn't worth the hassle, because of the inevitable "smart" responses and how wound up it'd make me.
    There are loads of great posters here, and great information, but the house style can be curt and obnoxious, which means posters like me are more likely to read than contribute.

When someone says "I think there's a problem here" there's an option to listen and discuss - you don't need to agree with it, but you can listen. Instead it's dismissed as folks being "precious" and they are questioned on how they'll get in in life. That's some pretty fantastic deflection.

I'm just not a fan of being a dick for the sake of it. I guess I'm old fashioned like that.

Just because someone says there is a problem doesnt meant there is a problem.

quaalude wrote: »
    I've nearly posted on this board many times, when I've felt I'd something to contribute, but then decided it wasn't worth the hassle, because of the inevitable "smart" responses and how wound up it'd make me.
    There are loads of great posters here, and great information, but the house style can be curt and obnoxious, which means posters like me are more likely to read than contribute.

I'm afraid the internet isn't for you then.

Btw, that's not a smart answer, it's serious.

Just because someone says there is a problem doesnt meant there is a problem.

You're absolutely right, but is it not better to explore it, even a little bit, than dismiss it out of hand? Particularly given the topic here it only adds to the problem being presented.

I was a Mod here for 5-ish years, and all throughout that time the forum was by and large fantastically helpful and supportive, and that is still the case, but from time to time lethargy sets in, people get hacked off answering questions time after time with what looks like little or no return, and the smart answers creep in. There's no harm in checking that once in a while. I really think that the regulars have to hold themselves to a higher standard as they're the ones who get listened to most and it's their behaviour that sets the tone of the whole forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I dunno I can see both sides of the argument. Its the internet, so I'd tend to be of the opinion that "banning" smart responses or whatever is a little precious.

But then at the same time sometimes people do have questions ( myself included) that they may know are a little obvious/ stupid but they'd rather just ask them and have quick confirmation from a source they trust and then for people to just use it as an opportunity to be witty and superior it does kind of make you roll your eyes a bit.
    Or what's even worse is when you can see an innocent enough question and then a poster will almost goad the op into saying something "wrong" so they can then go on their little rant about how stupid it is and how they know better. I can't give an example at the minute so dunno if people will know what I'm talking about.

Fwiw though most of the regular posters (don't know the names offhand, on mobile site- Alf, Hanley, stench etc) are respectful and encouraging to posters, while being funny or whatever too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Somebody might ask:
    Whats the benefits of running?

Half the people on here will think:
    Do you even lift?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think its good to get a check every now and again to remind us that we may come across as dickish. True, you can get jaded with the same old same old, but new posters do need to be led by the hand now and again. Sure you can say the internet is a tough place, get used to it, but hasn't boards always prided itself on not going down that route, and actually being a more 'local' and friendly place?

I know if I do a search on 'x' topic and come across 'y' message board where someone has already asked the question, it irritates the heck out of me when the posters of that forum go off on some cliquey rant instead of Answering The Damn Query. :) I dont want a private club, I want help! We need to strike a balance that lets us gel as a group, while leaving room for noobs to join in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

So because "this is the internet", that's the kind of juvenile one-up-manship comment one should expect at all times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Fair enough. I've been on the internet a long time, but I have a love/hate relationship with it - as do most people, I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

So because "this is the internet", that's the kind of juvenile one-up-manship comment one should expect at all times?

I see your point and I don't disagree but the internet isn't real life.
    people do behave differently - not out of badness either.
    Just how it is.

I see your point and I don't disagree but the internet isn't real life.
    people do behave differently - not out of badness either.
    Just how it is.

My one rule;

"if I wouldn't say it to someones face, don't say it on the internet"

...I think anyone who's met me in person will agree I conform to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Somebody might ask:

Half the people on here will think:

I had a little out loud laugh at this! Sometimes it seems that no matter what someone asks, they're told to lift heavy, and read the stickies. I was a bit surprised this morning when I saw that the person who asked about the benefits of running wasn't told to do those two things.
    I enjoy this forum, find it helpful. But, I do feel that often there's this general air of condescension from some of the regulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

jlm29 wrote: »
    Sometimes it seems that no matter what someone asks, they're told to lift heavy

The vast majority of 'beginner' questions that are posted here are essentially asking about improved body composition. Lifting weights is, in most circumstances, the correct answer.
    and read the stickies.

If you ask something that's covered in the stickies you're in no position to complain about condescending responses IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I never understood why a smart answer would be a bad thing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Essien wrote: »
    The vast majority of 'beginner' questions that are posted here are essentially asking about improved body composition. Lifting weights is, in most circumstances, the correct answer.

If you ask something that's covered in the stickies you're in no position to complain about condescending responses IMO.

By my lifting heavy comment, I meant really that I've noticed that on occasion, someone asks a question that really just requires a simple specific reply, and it turns into a totally different discussion, the general theme of which is lifting. I can't recall a specific example of where this happened right now, but it does, and fairly regularly.
    That said, in most topics on boards, people use questions asked to derail threads and give their own personal opinions, which may be totally off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

That said, in most topics on boards, people use questions asked to derail threads and give their own personal opinions, which may be totally off topic

I disagree with this. I think people ask questions to get more specific on the OPs goal. Most questions by beginners are incredibly vague. With more specific information we can provide better answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Most questions by beginners are incredibly vague. With more specific information we can provide better answers.

Most beginner questions are like this because if they knew what their real question was, they could almost certainly bang it into google and get their answer.

I'm not being condescending here, sometimes asking the right question is the most difficult part of fixing a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ShaggyQueen

Would be easier to start contributing positively than negatively.

2 ways to have the tallest building in town.

1) build yours up the highest
    2) tear everyone else's down

I have contributed over the past few years, never anything close to a regular though, until I closed my account due to time constraints. But thats neither here nor there, being a regular shouldn't be a prerequisite to having an opinion on the forum.
    Oryx wrote: »
    I think its good to get a check every now and again to remind us that we may come across as dickish. True, you can get jaded with the same old same old, but new posters do need to be led by the hand now and again. Sure you can say the internet is a tough place, get used to it, but hasn't boards always prided itself on not going down that route, and actually being a more 'local' and friendly place?

I know if I do a search on 'x' topic and come across 'y' message board where someone has already asked the question, it irritates the heck out of me when the posters of that forum go off on some cliquey rant instead of Answering The Damn Query. :) I dont want a private club, I want help! We need to strike a balance that lets us gel as a group, while leaving room for noobs to join in.

I think this is the key point, boards has been known as a friendly community for many interests across all ages.

Saying harden up its the internet is all well and good, but every part of the internet isn't the same. I'd have no problem directing my parents or older neighbour towards boards for example, as opposed to somewhere like 4chan for a problem (maybe a bit of an extreme difference, but boards is somewhere trustworthy, compared to other communities)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

But thats neither here nor there, being a regular shouldn't be a prerequisite to having an opinion on the forum.

)

I'm less likely to invest time in the answer if the question is short or shows little investigation on behalf of the poser of the question .

I've wasted time in the past given decent and researched advice to people who don't act on any of it (outside of the internet mostly)

however I'll make the exception in the case of a regular poster as they have previous as people who contribute to this forum. That's how being a regular poster helps.

I'll give pointers yes but a person needs to educate themselves and not expect be spoonfeed . which btw doesn't help anybody.

so

Q:" I'm running 3.5k a day what will i achieve."

A: eh....you'll be great at 3.5k....

which i think is a fine answer cos the poster has given little detail in teh question or shown little interest in their own topic. I'm not going to bust my nuts writing the pros/cons and expected results and alternatives to a question like that. However....

if the poster invests more ( a tiny bit more) into their delimma like this (for example)

I plan to run 3.5k a day and I was reading "runners weekly" and they said that is the crappest routine ever but I don't know why? any advice.

Then I'm sure the posters here would jump on board with detailed advice.

go further and say "Karl and Pat Henry said light weights and long runs only" and they'll give you a thesis,,,:pac::pac::pac:

Vague questions or queries on advice with no thought isn't going to whet my appetite to response with more than a glib answer.

I wish i could say to the guys here "Make me ripped, now....this minute".
    But life doesn't work like that.

my opinion anyway.

I'm less likely to invest time in the answer if the question is short or shows little investigation on behalf of the poser of the question .

I've wasted time in the past given decent and researched advice to people who don't act on any of it (outside of the internet mostly)

however I'll make the exception in the case of a regular poster as they have previous as people who contribute to this forum. That's how being a regular poster helps.

I'll give pointers yes but a person needs to educate themselves and not expect be spoonfeed . which btw doesn't help anybody.

That's exactly my line of thinking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

That's exactly my line of thinking too.

My only problem with that is that alot of the time google directs people here as first port of call. Are they really gonna think "no I can't ask the question there Ill come back when I have read up enough". This kinda defeats the purpose of having the forum open to new posters to ask questions.

I can understand people get tired of answering the same questions over and over (I know the athletics forum is similar in this regard) but surely going to the effort of making the smart comments is just as much a waste of time (both to the person who makes it as well as the OP)

I'll be honest I have found this forum quite useful and would read a fair bit but very rarely post and would not recommend people to come here to ask questions as beginners or general novices in the area they are looking for advice from and I think this is fairly unique here in comparison to most other forums here on boards.

(Just before I am completely blanked "Yes I do lift :D" )

ecoli wrote: »
    My only problem with that is that alot of the time google directs people here as first port of call. Are they really gonna think "no I can't ask the question there Ill come back when I have read up enough". This kinda defeats the purpose of having the forum open to new posters to ask questions.

I can understand people get tired of answering the same questions over and over (I know the athletics forum is similar in this regard) but surely going to the effort of making the smart comments is just as much a waste of time (both to the person who makes it as well as the OP)

I'll be honest I have found this forum quite useful and would read a fair bit but very rarely post and would not recommend people to come here to ask questions as beginners or general novices in the area they are looking for advice from and I think this is fairly unique here in comparison to most other forums here on boards.

(Just before I am completely blanked "Yes I do lift :D" )

The problem is they don't do any research at all. They don't try answer the question themselves. They look straight for the easier option and post a silly 8-10 word question easily answered by google etc..

If you're finding conflicting information on your question and you don't know which source is better to listen to etc.. by all means start a thread, tell the forum what you've actually done to research your problem.

Hey, you never know they might learn something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

When the question is "What are the benefits of running?" the answer is "The benefits of running are..." I don't understand how there could be any other answer.
    Whenever someone asks me, or a group that I'm part of, a really basic question about something that I'd have an in-depth knowledge of, I just view it as "Someone who doesn't have the knowledge that I have" and respond in kind. It's really not difficult. :confused:

In my personal experience, those who say "It's only the internet, grow a thicker skin" etc etc are just projecting, because they actually turn out to be the most hypersensitive of all. (I'm not including Alf Veedersane btw as they apologised and obviously didn't mean any badness - it's just this thread has some disappointing attitudes, which I thought were a thing of the past).
    It's a bad state of affairs if nobody can have a laugh here anymore.
    Where was anyone complaining about people having a laugh? Christ, even lying being resorted to. :rolleyes:
    Especially on a internet message board. Christ... what do these people do in real life?
    Not... deal with smart-ass unhelpfulness I'd imagine. I'm very confident that most of the snide, dismissive "bad-asses" here wouldn't dream of being that way in real life.

Get with the times Jerrica - it's fashionable and edgy and cool, especially on the internet when you can be anonymous and you're not face-to-face, and therefore particularly brave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The problem is they don't do any research at all. They don't try answer the question themselves. They look straight for the easier option and post a silly 8-10 word question easily answered by google etc..

If you're finding conflicting information on your question and you don't know which source is better to listen to etc.. by all means start a thread, tell the forum what you've actually done to research your problem.

And you are an expert since........?

You're really coming off as being very holier than thou IMO but maybe I'm reading too much into it,

When the question is "What are the benefits of running?" the answer is "The benefits of running are..." Defend snideness all you like, some of you, but that is the answer. It's straightforward

I don't agree on that point because I think someone coming in asking a question like that wants to know what the benefits of running are for them and to give a proper answer, you need a little more context or otherwise it's just a generic answer, IMO. Sure, there are certain common benefits but there are others that depend on the person themselves.

Running 3.5km a day will quite possibly have quite a different effect for me than it will for someone else.

When the question is "What are the benefits of running?" the answer is "The benefits of running are..." Defend snideness all you like, some of you, but that is the answer. It's straightforward.

If you see an answer to a question, and you feel it isn't a great answer, you can answer the question yourself. You can do it right then and there. It is within your power.

You don't have to go on to another thread and complain that the question wasn't answered properly. I mean you can if you want to, but you don't have to. Assuming the thread isn't closed, you can type your answer into a box at the bottom of the thread and hit "Submit".

If you want to see good answers to these questions, he answer is not to cut back on the bad ones - the answer is to start providing more good ones. If the bad answers were coming in at high enough a rate that they were drowning out the good answers, then there might be a problem, bu I don't think we're anything near that. Start trying to cut back how people can answer and the reply rate will drop to a trickle very quickly. I've seen it happen other places before.

If you see an answer to a question, and you feel it isn't a great answer, you can answer the question yourself. You can do it right then and there. It is within your power.
    Or... this is a website with thousands and thousands of readers, and sometimes when a question is being asked by one person, others who would also like an answer to that question will read the thread to see what the answer is? Which is what applies to me. Huge assumption by you.
    You don't have to go on to another thread and complain that the question wasn't answered properly. I mean you can if you want to, but you don't have to. Assuming the thread isn't closed, you can type your answer into a box at the bottom of the thread and hit "Submit".
    Not sure I said or even implied I "had to"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Out of interest if you have a engine problem or indeed a computer problem do you always research internal combustion/ computer hardware/software or coding?

In an ideal world yes it would be nice for people to become informed themselves but not everyone is wired that way and before people say that it's just laziness there are plenty of elite athletes from all disciplines who come under this bracket. Sure these lazy people are the reason why nutritionists, coaches, personal trainers, therapists etc are needed and alot of us would be out of jobs if it wasn't for this fact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Eh... aren't you the lad who use to start threads on here at 2am wondering why you weren't recovering from your early morning gym sessions?

Huge assumption by you.
    Looks like I misread your last post. I thought you were saying that you knew the answer, and that it was so obvious, you couldn't imagine how someone would give an inadequate one.

Are you actually looking for what the benefit of running is? Have you tried putting the question "what is the benefit of running" into google and looking at the results? I'm not saying this to be smart. Take a look at the articles that come up - see how long they are. All those different points - it's not actually that straightforward a question to answer.

You'll notice that there was one "smart" answer and straight away the follow up was "Are people being a bit smart here?" The "smart" answer was actually saying something valid, just not phrased in a way that a beginner would realise the point being made.

So people want others to volunteer to give them detailed answers to open ended questions, and if they put a foot wrong straight away there's threads about how rude they are. That's not a great incentive to contribute anything, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's quite strange that some people who were initially complaining about smart answers have resorted to smart answers and little digs at other posters.
    The internet is a strange place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The forum is more if a mixed bag right now than it's ever been, since I started posting here anyway. There are a lot of good discussions but then there are a lot of questions being answered by snappy one liners which are attempts at humour, I think.

Is there a problem? - yes
    Is it a new problem? - no

I think the answer is simple: can everyone just try to be a little nicer? Especially when the OP is obviously clueless. Let's be more welcoming, eh?

I don't agree at all that posters should be off doing independent research before the ask a question. This forum is for asking questions. It's not a talking shop for people who think they have all of the answers.

Anyway , I blame G'em for leaving.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod note: can we please refrain from having digs at individual posters. Let's keep things as general as possible. Thanks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Not... deal with smart-ass unhelpfulness I'd imagine. I'm very confident that most of the snide, dismissive "bad-asses" here wouldn't dream of being that way in real life.
    Get with the times Jerrica - it's fashionable and edgy and cool, especially on the internet when you can be anonymous and you're not face-to-face, and therefore particularly brave.

I'm assuming you don't mean me. I don't think I've ever been rude or dismissive to anyone new here. Obvious trolls aside.

I also think I'd be fairly consistent with how I treat people here compared to real life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

Here is a thread I started on this forum a short while ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173449

The first person that replied tried to help but then the 2nd person in post 5 was the first 'smart' response I got. The next person recommended a place also but it didn't suit so I thanked them and explained why it didn't suit. I then got 3 'smart' responses in a row before someone with a helpful post replied.
    Strange that Panda Turtle read the exact same thing the others did but the others couldn't seem to understand plain English. I'm nowhere near an expert on all of this so I thought maybe it was my fault so I apologised in the next post and tried to make myself clearer. After some posts talking with Panda Turtle, I got called a dick for some reason. I fail to see where I was a dick in that thread anywhere.
    I thanked people for their help and apologised for not being clearer. I told this poster it's okay not to post if you have nothing worth saying and it was nothing but helpful posts there after. Why could some of the posters that replied to me offer helpful advice, while others were anything but helpful? If they didn't understand the question they could have asked nicely for me to explain it or just not post at all!

Here is a thread I started on this forum a short while ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173449

The first person that replied tried to help but then the 2nd person in post 5 was the first 'smart' response I got. The next person recommended a place also but it didn't suit so I thanked them and explained why it didn't suit. I then got 3 'smart' responses in a row before someone with a helpful post replied.
    Strange that Panda Turtle read the exact same thing the others did but the others couldn't seem to understand plain English. I'm nowhere near an expert on all of this so I thought maybe it was my fault so I apologised in the next post and tried to make myself clearer. After some posts talking with Panda Turtle, I got called a dick for some reason. I fail to see where I was a dick in that thread anywhere.
    I thanked people for their help and apologised for not being clearer. I told this poster it's okay not to post if you have nothing worth saying and it was nothing but helpful posts there after. Why could some of the posters that replied to me offer helpful advice, while others were anything but helpful? If they didn't understand the question they could have asked nicely for me to explain it or just not post at all!

To be fair, the majority of people tend to want somewhere in a smaller area so I didn't read the post you tagged as the first smart one as being an actual smart answer. Just seemed like the poster felt like you weren't helping them to help you.

But this happens all the time...the tone often gets picked up wrong. Not always, mind you, but there are occasions when an aswer is being misinterpreted as smart because it's text.

Which is how this thread came to be...

And you are an expert since........?

You're really coming off as being very holier than thou IMO but maybe I'm reading too much into it,

I'm not an expert. I never claimed I was. I said people are lazy and don't want to to anything for themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

To be fair, the majority of people tend to want somewhere in a smaller area so I didn't read the post you tagged as the first smart one as being an actual smart answer. Just seemed like the poster felt like you weren't helping them to help you. But this happens all the time...the tone often gets picked up wrong. Not always, mind you, but there are occasions when an aswer is being misinterpreted as smart because it's text. Which is how this thread came to be...
    I had put the specific area but edited it because I didn't want to restrict any advice forthcoming. I take your point though. However, that doesn't explain the other posters, some of who have thousands of posts. I don't read these forums often but I've noticed it in plenty of other threads. Why post at all if you're have nothing helpful to add?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement