Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the world party

Options
  • 02-04-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

So we have booked a venue for our little ones welcome party. We are not having a christening, and decided against a naming ceremony/guide parents. So Im kind of a little stumped at what we should do at it? if anything? Has anyone been to one of these before? They are called 'sip and see's in the US.

Im planning a cake and cupcakes, and finger food. Balloons and decorations.
    Any ideas/ suggestions for the cake? I was thinking maybe just having a lion, hippo or elephant theme or something simple with his name on it. What do you think about music? Ipod and speakers in the corner?

Its on a sunday afternoon for a few hours and there is a bar in the room. Itll be a free for all for whichever family and friends can attend.

Im worried people will just see it as a piss up / present getting event if there is no focus? Am i thinking too hard about it? I just dont want people to turn up, grab a drink, see baby and be bored for 2 hours. Then again I dont want to go all crazy themed American style either.

I was also going to leave some pens/ paper around for people to write notes to him for when hes older. Too american?

I had thought of getting some entertainment - magician (we had one at our wedding and it was a big hit), tarot card reader(or similar) or something but hubby said no to them.

ah! thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I think by having a free bar you've kind of set the tone, in that you don't mind people having a drink. You'd hope the guests would have a bit of sense, but there'll always be the one who goes overboard.

Forget about how american or otherwise it might look to others. It's your child and i'm sure you have a clear picture in your head of how you would ideally like the party to take shape, so go with that.

Did you send invites of any sort? That might help people focus on the idea that it's a party to welcome your child to the world, and I think the book is a lovely idea.

Celebrate as you see fit, your kid is worth it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Sorry it's not a free bar! We are not crazy :) we are sending invites but pretty much just saying come if you free, no need really to RSVP very informal. That's what I meant by a free for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Sorry it's not a free bar! We are not crazy :) we are sending invites but pretty much just saying come if you free, no need really to RSVP very informal. That's what I meant by a free for all!

Ah, I wondered why you were worried about drinking when, you'd set up a free bar :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Why would you be worried about it being too american?? The welcome party for baby isn't really common at all in the states. As far as notes for when baby is older, that's not common in the states either. Just do what you want to do at the party. Its a day to celebrate your child and so you should have what you think is nice there!
    ( and even if it was very americanish would that be a bad thing?? Im American and it kinda upsets me when irish people say that stuff :/ )

We lived in America for a while and my family seem to think that everything 'different' that we do is too American. My mum especially thinks young people prefer to try and be American more than irish because its cooler ! Ah she does drive me nuts! I think I'm thinking about it too much and letting her get to me....

Also I wouldn't put it past either of our family's to make it an excuse to get pissed even without a free bar. This is the first grandchild on both sides and first among most of our friends too so lots of people attending with few responsibilities! Will just leave them to it once the party's over citing our numerous baby excuses! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I dunno, sounds like a bit of a mishmash between a birthday party and a christening. People will be confused about pressies I'd say. I would anyway.

The themes with balloons, cakes and animals are certainly more a first birthday type event. Could you hold off on those until then?

if you want to have a few drinks with your mates around to see the baby and celebrate, then just do that. A bbq or pizza evening maybe?

pwurple wrote: »
    I dunno, sounds like a bit of a mishmash between a birthday party and a christening. People will be confused about pressies I'd say. I would anyway.

The themes with balloons, cakes and animals are certainly more a first birthday type event. Could you hold off on those until then?

if you want to have a few drinks with your mates around to see the baby and celebrate, then just do that. A bbq or pizza evening maybe?

Thanks. I suppose it is more like a christening after-party. We would have had it at home but we live in a tiny apartment!
    Don't think we'll have much decor other than some blue balloons and a cake. No party favours or anything. I might put no presses on the invite as most people have already sent us something and wouldn't want them to think they have to give us something again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I was at one a few years ago and it was really good fun. We all went camping for the weekend and had the celebration on the Sat night. It was a party and all but there was a definite focused point where the parents spoke about their hopes for the child, some said the skills they could teach the child, some sang...not to everyones taste but we really enjoyed it. Than there was a big party afterwards.

Think you just need to make sure there is a point where you might say a few words or something, just so everyone knows they are there to celebrate the baby and not just a big drinking session...same as a some christening.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we are having a sip and see party but ours will be wildly different to yours.

we are having an open house from 9am to 6pm, where people can come whenever they want sip some tea and see the baby.

we will have some finger food

9am to 6pm?! :eek: I dont think Id survive that!
    Sure it takes me 3 hours to get decent enough/ prepared to leave the house with the baby on a regular day, let alone have the house clean for visitors, and prepare some food for them all :)
    3hrs is more than enough party time for me. Do you think some people would actually turn up at 9am?

We sent out the email invites/ facebook event yesterday and have had a good few responses so far. Looks like we will definitely hit the 40 people mark, maybe 50!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I did a naming ceremony at mil's house when wee fella was 9mths old, was quite informal.

Had a cake made AC/DC style (lots of red & black icing), balloons & decorations, I did sambos, desserts, mil did a big pot of chicken curry, some goujons and wedges were shoved in the oven. No booze served but if I'd had it at a venue where there was a bar then obviously it's up to them.

I sent out email invitations, people brought presents which I was pleasantly surprised about!

The only other thing we did was I asked the godparents to just bring a little keepsake gift for my son as a marker for the day. The godmother got a silver plectrum engraved with his name & the date. Godfather did up a whole binder of photos with titles etc. It was lovely. I think your idea of everyone writing little notes to your son is brilliant. He will treasure that when he's older and understands. Or at least you will and will be great memory from the day.

At the end of the day, don't give a second thought to what other people think of what you are doing, just do what ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

We had a welcome to the world party for our little miss two years ago, or as we jokingly called it, her Pagan Party ( my mother always called us pagans if we didn't go to mass! Lol)
    Anyway, we had it in our house, invited just family, got a lovely little dress for her in Monsoon, not too christening like, but more special occasion.
    We had food and a cake, it was decorated almost like a christening cake but without any religious references, pink and white, a teddy bear figurine and her name set out in building blocks.
    We decorated the house with pink balloons, some plain and some had little feet or stars and moons, and even some that had 'On your special day' and little booties on them, so again, nothing religious. We got the balloons in Woodies and they will fill them with helium too.
    We also had lots of photos of her since she was born clipped to a piece of string hung like a banner. Because you are using a venue, you could arrange to have a slide show on a big screen showing pictures of him so people don't forget the focus of the day.
    We made a big deal of cutting her cake and taking pictures and it was a really lovely relaxing afternoon. You could also make a little speech welcoming him to the family or have some family members read some appropriate poems or the like?
    Guests did bring gifts even though we had said no, but it was practical things like vouchers and clothes, no silver rattles or money boxes!

9am to 6pm?! :eek: I dont think Id survive that!
    Sure it takes me 3 hours to get decent enough/ prepared to leave the house with the baby on a regular day, let alone have the house clean for visitors, and prepare some food for them all :)!

well, the way i see it they are coming to see the baby, not check under the sofa for dust :)

:)i dont know if anyone will come at 9am but we will be up, and some people might want to drop in before golf or soccer or whatever.

it will be pretty informal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I didnt get around to doing either and I kinda regret it.

People who dont know me well think I had them christened in secret and people who do jut presumed we had a party and didnt invite them!

I love the idea of a open night but 3 to 6pm would have done us and I would have had to get the cleaners in before hand!

I always felt that if I had a party it would look as if I just realised I missed out on baptism presents, so I personally would have said no presents.

I like the idea of a 'welcome to the world party.'

So def do do it, whatever you decide to do because after a year, you time has passed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Mink wrote: »
    I did a naming ceremony at mil's house when wee fella was 9mths old, was quite informal.

Had a cake made AC/DC style (lots of red & black icing), balloons & decorations, I did sambos, desserts, mil did a big pot of chicken curry, some goujons and wedges were shoved in the oven. No booze served but if I'd had it at a venue where there was a bar then obviously it's up to them.

I sent out email invitations, people brought presents which I was pleasantly surprised about!

The only other thing we did was I asked the godparents to just bring a little keepsake gift for my son as a marker for the day. The godmother got a silver plectrum engraved with his name & the date. Godfather did up a whole binder of photos with titles etc. It was lovely. I think your idea of everyone writing little notes to your son is brilliant. He will treasure that when he's older and understands. Or at least you will and will be great memory from the day.

At the end of the day, don't give a second thought to what other people think of what you are doing, just do what ye want.

I thought godparents were a religious thing? Not trying to start a debate was just wondering!

Cherrycola wrote: »
    We had a welcome to the world party for our little miss two years ago, or as we jokingly called it, her Pagan Party ( my mother always called us pagans if we didn't go to mass! Lol)
    Anyway, we had it in our house, invited just family, got a lovely little dress for her in Monsoon, not too christening like, but more special occasion.
    We had food and a cake, it was decorated almost like a christening cake but without any religious references, pink and white, a teddy bear figurine and her name set out in building blocks.
    We decorated the house with pink balloons, some plain and some had little feet or stars and moons, and even some that had 'On your special day' and little booties on them, so again, nothing religious. We got the balloons in Woodies and they will fill them with helium too.
    We also had lots of photos of her since she was born clipped to a piece of string hung like a banner. Because you are using a venue, you could arrange to have a slide show on a big screen showing pictures of him so people don't forget the focus of the day.
    We made a big deal of cutting her cake and taking pictures and it was a really lovely relaxing afternoon. You could also make a little speech welcoming him to the family or have some family members read some appropriate poems or the like?
    Guests did bring gifts even though we had said no, but it was practical things like vouchers and clothes, no silver rattles or money boxes!

I love the idea of pictures of him on bunting! Thats so cute! Will definitely have to plan some sort of speech / announcement thing too.
    And weve put on the invites no presents. Thanks for the ideas and inputs everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I thought godparents were a religious thing? Not trying to start a debate was just wondering!

It is technically but we kinda didn't have a better word for it that we liked so we just went with that. We're sort of agnostic anyway.

I've heard different words being used like mentor, guide parents etc.

In my view it's all the same sentiment. I'm so happy with our choice for godparents/mentor etc, they put a lot of time and effort into the wee man when they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Our kids have 'spare parents' . Made sense to us!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Our kids have 'spare parents' . Made sense to us!

I like this. We were wondering what to call ours. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Odd parents is another one I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Or Guide parents

Advertisement