Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Crescent, Castle Oaks estate

• 02-04-2014 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am moving to Carlow from London this year with my partner and was wondering does anyone know anything about the Castle Oaks estate as it looks ideal from looking at it online but obviously the area is very important as we would like somewhere nice and quiet without any problems. We were also looking at Rath Glen in Killeshin or Crosneen Manor if anyone could tell us about any of these estates that would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Castle Oaks would be very quiet, far enough from the town that you won't get any noise or rarely get trouble, but close enough that you could walk in if you wanted to.
    Killeshin is pretty far out but it's a nice place.
    Not too sure on Crosneen Manor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 teelady

I think Castle Oaks looks a bit rundown - went for a drive out there not long ago as a relative was eyeing the area. I also didn't like the fact it wasn't finished. Maybe that has changed now.

I have heard nothing about Crosneen manor or Rathglen.

I think it depends on your circumstances as well. Do you both have cars? Do you have children and maybe need to be near a school?

I sold a house in Dolmen Gardens last year. Lovely estate. I just downsized. But, i think, having lived in over 15 different places in my life that research is the beginning and sheer luck is the end... you could move in with a quiet old lady next door and then she dies/goes into a home and the house is rented and/or sold to a nightrmare or the council buys it. Ask me how i know...:rolleyes:

Are you buying or renting? I would certainly rent for a while first in an area if you can. Google streetview is all very well but you want to be seeing up and around and behind all the houses as well. Is noise a factor ie traffic?

There is a bungalow in College Gardens on Granby Row for sale on daft.ie. That is a very, very quiet estate, near the town with older/settled residents and a very, very low ratio of renters. It is in a cul de sac as well. I lived in that estate for 10 years and still have relatives there and it is a lovely estate. Built 20 years ago.

Hope that helps. Do ask if you need any more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

Was in a couple of houses in Castle Oaks within the last year and i thought they were quite nice and modern in their design and layout but thats not for everyone. I did notice the estate itself as in public greens etc weren't quite finished which is a shame. Its on the main road Dublin road though so I would imagine noise might be a factor but only if your near the front of the estate. It is close enough to the town to walk and cycle. There are cycle lanes on most of the main routes up there leading into town.

Rathglen in Killeshin is a good bit out of the town so you would definitely need a car. They are good sized houses though and also its quite a small estate from what I can see. The access road to estate is shared with the local school in Killeshin so it is quite busy in the mornings and afternoons. Killeshin is a nice community though and quite safe.

Crossneen Manor is probably the closest of the three to the town but its on a fairly quite road so it has a nice rural feel to it. Its only a mile to town so can easily be walked. I have rented here in the past and its a very quite estate. Mainly full of young professional couples or young families. It is also a small enough estate by todays standards with plenty of space between houses etc.

hope this helps...

Call me cynical, but since there has been no sign of the OP after being given very pertinent information, i believe this was an Estate Agent stunt....

Backfired slightly.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Derbyogill

Sorry, ive been away on business for the last week and a half so i have not had chance to reply to any of you. Thanks to all for the help and opinions of the areas that i have shown an interest in. All points will be considered when viewing properties in the coming months. We are definitely not in cahoots with a letting agent or landlord at all. It would be somewhat confusing if we were based on the different areas we have discussed. lol. :D

In response to Teelady's question's: We both have a cars, no kids as of yet and we are looking to buy.

Further to these areas, does anyone have an opinion about the new house builds and the areas of Quinagh?
    Are there any nice estates in Carlow with newer houses that we may have overlooked also?

All responses are appreciated and I'll try to get back to you to fill you in on our house adventures.

Thanks All,
    Derby O'Gill :cool:

• Advertisement

I'm not retracting my statement until i'm invited to a housewarming

Replying minutes after i posted after weeks of nothing suggests you were watching the thread

... and i hear it's terrible now being away as "the internet" is not available anywhere except on the computer you originally posted on :rolleyes:

teelady wrote: »
    Replying minutes after I posted after weeks of nothing suggests you were watching the thread
    Based on the fact that my first post was on the 2nd April, maybe you should check your details before commenting, eh?:confused:

The email account I registered this interest with is one that I do not check frequently. I was logged into my email and a new notification came through, yes it was yours, so I responded as I had not yet gotten around to it.

If you are going to judge me on my internet usage whilst away from my home country then maybe you are on the wrong forum. And i did not ask you to retract your statement no do i care. I think its quite funny how you dreamed up that my post was a estate agent ploy.

All I hoped for was some information about houses in the Carlow area. I really appreciate the help people have posted on this thread so far.

Thanks for all the positive comments from others. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Getting this back on topic, I lived in Quinagh Green for a while and they are decent houses with quite a few of them rented out, relatively quiet estate. I also lived in Friars green and was a lovely area just be careful which side of the estate you look at houses in as some people towards John Sweeney park side reported rubbish etc being thrown over the wall into the gardens (this was quiet a few years ago now so may have changed)
    Finally another recommendation is the Paddocks estate on Browneshill road also lived there and was another quiet estate with the houses at the front being older and part of the original 15/16 houses in the estate built quiet a few years before the ones at the back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ok, keep it on topic, please.

Thanks for your reply tommycahir. We were looking at an estate called Cluain Bui (Unsure of how to pronounce it :D) in the Quinagh area which are new builds. I have heard to stay well away from John Sweeney Park. There doesn't seem to be any houses for sale in the Paddocks area although I have heard on here that Brownsehill is a lovely area. I will keep looking in case any pop up in the near future. I am looking forward to visiting Carlow to see the estates for myself as it's hard to get a feel for them on Google maps.

Many thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Is Cluain Bui not a "ghost estate"? They have built a few houses there but gave up and there was one for sale about 2 years ago that I looked at which was nice but you could be left looking at rubble for the foreseeable future.

Do you have a specification in mind? I was looking for nearly 4 years and ended up buying a house in reasonably poor condition that I am doing up as I either couldn't find a suitable property or when I found one that interested me all of a sudden the price went up or there were other issues that raised its head.

Before you do anything make sure you conduct a thorough due diligence and I would advise you to be very cautious when dealing with local estate agents and solicitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Keep us updated anyway, we will be in the same position in a couple of months, looking to move back to Carlow. I haven't lived there since I was a teenager so am currently searching through Daft.ie and trying to remember if the houses I like are in good or bad areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dandenong

Hi folks, does anyone know anything about the ghost estate called Cluain Bui in Carlow? and the surrounding area? I was told to look for accommodation in the Green Road area.
    On the map it looks like it is stuck in a waste land with little or no development so likely to stay a ghost estate.
    I'm from Drogheda and so not at all familiar with what the area is like.
    Would appreciate any help from local knowledge to fill me in, thanks.

Advertisement