Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home baking business - purpose built kitchen

Options
  • 02-04-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on a subject that Google seems determined to keep me in the dark about...

I run a small-scale baking business from my house and while I'm fairly happy with working from the home kitchen at the moment, I'm trying to work out future costings for setting up a purpose built kitcehn in the garden to cater to growing demand.

It would not need to be big or be aesthetically appealing ... practical is the look I'd be going for!! Obviously it would need to comply with health and safety standards and would have to have full plumbing and electrics.

Does anyone know of any companies that cater to this sort of market that wouldn't cost the same as building a small house!!?

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

You would also then be into commerical insurance and rates, as you would no longer be working from a domestic kitchen. Just something else that needs to be taken into account.

You'd probably get better answers if you mention where you are located.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ruth_wex

You would also then be into commerical insurance and rates, as you would no longer be working from a domestic kitchen. Just something else that needs to be taken into account.

You'd probably get better answers if you mention where you are located.

I'm in wexford town!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Contact your local EHO (environmental health officer) re the design and fitout requirements.

Contact other artisan producers and for ask their advice.

Most catering equipment can be purchased second hand...do not buy brand new if you can help it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

ruth_wex wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on a subject that Google seems determined to keep me in the dark about...

I run a small-scale baking business from my house and while I'm fairly happy with working from the home kitchen at the moment, I'm trying to work out future costings for setting up a purpose built kitcehn in the garden to cater to growing demand.

It would not need to be big or be aesthetically appealing ... practical is the look I'd be going for!! Obviously it would need to comply with health and safety standards and would have to have full plumbing and electrics.

Does anyone know of any companies that cater to this sort of market that wouldn't cost the same as building a small house!!?

Thanks a mil!
    OP..how long is a piece of string? If you want to set up professionally your into such potential areas as:
    • wall cladding
    • polyurethane screed flooring or similar
    • Floor drains
    • grease traps
    • ventilation
    • Pest control
    And these are just to mention a few. It all comes down to what your strategy is and resources available are.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

ruth_wex wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thanks a mil!

Good luck with things.
    I suggest that you start by contacting your local enterprise board (not my part of the country, but I'm sure there is one there). You will probably find that they have access to purpose built food production units available to people like youself at very low rents. Probably a lot cheaper than you could build from scratch, or rent independently.Bringing a production area up to food production level is not particularly cheap.
    I also suggest, as someone else has, that you contact your local EHO, if you are not in touch with them already. You can find the nearest office through http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/
    Also, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland ( FSAI.ie ) should have a lot of information that may be helpful.

Again, good luck

Skafish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ruth_wex

Thanks a mil for the replies, all advise taken on board and getting cracking on things as we speak!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

check for any closed down restaurants or possibly pubs that used to do food but no longer do so. They may have a kitchen already kitted out that you could use.

Some pubs will have sold on their licence and would be available for small rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

If I were you I would be flying very low under the radar here - I think you can get away quite cheaply.
    Get yourself an old shipping container and plonk it in your garden. Get a window cut in it. Insulate the walls then tile the lot.
    Check out this company in Carrigaline that have done just that. If you are ever passing they even serve food out the window.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/p417x417/1623628_686951764705613_3322697308163782251_n.jpg

I don't even think it requires planning permission !!

Advertisement