Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Computer Science (Conversion)

Options
  • 02-04-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if this course is going to be offered in Sept 2014. I'm looking to apply for the part time course but on this site it hasn't been updated for this year.

If it's not going ahead I've been looking at this one MSc in Computer Science (Negotiated Learning) which I presume might be the replacement.

I see it's a new course and am just wondering if anyone has any experience with part time MSc in Computer Science? My background is Electronic Engineering and I work mainly with Java. Would it be a big task to convert?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The Negotiated Learning MSc is not a replacement for the Conversion MSc - for one thing, it assumed a much higher standard entry level. It's more designed for people from disciplines that provide a lot of the same material as CS degrees, but not enough to enter a regular CS masters, or provide a consistent base level.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Raphael wrote: »
    The Negotiated Learning MSc is not a replacement for the Conversion MSc - for one thing, it assumed a much higher standard entry level. It's more designed for people from disciplines that provide a lot of the same material as CS degrees, but not enough to enter a regular CS masters, or provide a consistent base level.

Well the Negotiated Learning Masters is, as it suggests, one whereby the student can negotiate their own leaning (i.e. free reign of choice of their modules). Conversion modules are available to these students, and visa versa. There are virtually no "Negotiated-Learning" specific modules; it is a pick and mix of undergrad and postgrad modules. While the Conversion Masters will have a set criteria which students must fulfil in order to complete the masters, the same wouldn't so much apply to the NL (just credit fulfilment + module level).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

From my understanding the Conversion course would be best suited to disciplines that wouldn't have much exposure to computer science at all and the negotiated learning can be as advanced as you like?

Through my undergrad, work and just personal learning I would already have had some exposure to data structures, OOP and several programming languages. I think the negotiated learning course would be best suited to me, I'm just somewhat cautious that it might end up being a bit too much for me as I will only be taking part part-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Introduction to Hardware and Software
    • Introduction to Java
    • Innovation
    • Advanced Java & Datastructures
    • Introduction to Unix, C
    • Web Technologies
    • Databases
    • Summer Porgramming Project
    • Systems Management

These are the modules for the MSc from Sep 2014 - Sep 2015. There are some more modules for the final semester. Sep 2015 - Dec 2015 which are not nailed down yet but afaik these include
    • green computing
    • android development
    • security
    • networks

of which you pick two.

Its changing to a postgrad diploma next year as far as I know so I would assume there would be a change in the module layout. It is very java heavy so if you have a background in programming you should breeze through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 piroda

Got an email from UCD this week. Apparently the MSc is undergoing a major restructuring and wont be starting again until Sept 2015.

• Advertisement
Advertisement