Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnetic implants in finger/hand

• 02-04-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Anyone have an experience of actually living with these over a period of time?
    I see a couple of posts from people looking to get them done but not too many follow up stories of how they've got on after 6 months/year?

I'm getting one done in a few weeks (first mod woo :pac:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I haven't heard from anyone that got them done.
    However, I know that there could be issues with them, for example you'd never be able to get a MRI with a magnet embedded under your skin, as it'd be liable to either heat up a lot or possibly the magnetic pull could cause migration issues. I'd be worried that an MRI could actually rip it out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This would also cause problems with CAT scans and x rays and probably a few other things like that. Whats the point in getting a magnet implanted under your skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

The magnets themselves aren't very strong (and are tiny) and I've seen a few reports of people with them having MRI's etc without it being ripped out (it was fairly uncomfortable but no alien bursting out of the skin!)

But if I need to have an MRI in the first place, I'd imagine there are more uncomfortable things to worry about!

They don't seem to get picked up by metal detectors so I'm not so worried about medical implications, I'd be more worried about lack of feeling from it after a few months or if the actual sensation wears off.

As for why... magnetic superpowers!! Well maybe not so super, but the idea of a sort of "sixth sense" is kinda cool to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Would it not be terribly inconvenient? Imagine trying to put money into a charity box with magnetic fingers! Or do anything really. Everything would just stick to you.

It's really not that magnetic, strong enough to lift a small paper clip/screws at the most. It's more for being able to "feel" magnetic waves from things like fans, transformers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I honestly can't see the point in it, I can really only think of negatives. I doubt having magnets inside you can be healthy, long term. You run the risk too of wrecking your ATM and credit cards.

The thing I'd be most wary about is allowing someone touch me who had magnets in their fingers. Let's just say there are definite areas of my body magnets are getting nowhere near! I doubt I'm the only woman who'd think like that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I honestly can't see the point in it, I can really only think of negatives. I doubt having magnets inside you can be healthy, long term. You run the risk too of wrecking your ATM and credit cards.

Any memory cards could be ruined by it too. Tickets for car parks etc also.

Any memory cards could be ruined by it too. Tickets for car parks etc also.

Memory cards, hotel key cards, hard drives, bank cards don't get affected by it. The magnetic field is tiny, so even if you wanted to ruin one of these things you couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stronger magnets would cause problems trying to use electronic equipment too, phones, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What's the point in them so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've read up about it and although it sounds interesting the magnet won't actually give you a sixth sense. It isn't part of your nervous system, its just a magnet under the skin. Obviously it will respond to magnetic fields but what use is that? I suppose if it encountered a strong magnetic field it would move slightly and you would feel that, probably would be painful. I don't see how that's useful though? I'm not trying to overly critical here I just genuinely don't understand it.

Also, your immune system doesn't like foreign bodies inside your skin. I would expect swelling and possibly a rash as your body reacts to what it will perceive as a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

The magnets are coated in implant-grade silicone, the very same as any other body mod implant and are safe in that regards, as long as you get them done by a professional.

They do not wipe credit cards, memory cards or effect computers or other electrical equipment.

As for why, why do people get any form of body modification? Because they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Don't understand magnets. They're not strong enough to do anything useful. After a few days of easily picking up paper clips and pins I'd say the novelty wears off.

I want to get a RFID tag implanted. Be cool to open security doors or pay for things just by waving my hand over the scanner :pac:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

January wrote: »
    What's the point in them so?

Dead handy if you drop a pile of paper clips on the floor.

Advertisement