Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona receive two window transfer embargo

• 02-04-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

From the Fifa website

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/news/newsid=2313003/index.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_picture

Kudos to MagicIRL for the spot.
    The Disciplinary Committee regarded the infringements as serious and decided to sanction the club with a transfer ban at both national and international level for two complete and consecutive transfer periods, together with a fine of CHF 450,000. Additionally, the club was granted a period of 90 days in which to regularise the situation of all minor players concerned.

I can't recall the last time a top club was sanctioned like this for dodgy dealings with transfers :O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah, for players under 18 only. Really gonna hurt them!

Edit: wait...have I read that wrong?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

they could be left stuck for a goalkeeper ?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

TheDoc wrote: »
    From the Fifa website

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/news/newsid=2313003/index.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_picture

Kudos to MagicIRL for the spot.

I can't recall the last time a top club was sanctioned like this for dodgy dealings with transfers :O

WOW :eek:

this part is interesting as I would say there are a number of clubs circulating to see if they can nab maybe a player they previously missed out on..
    days in which to regularise the situation of all minor players concerned

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Genuine laugh out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nerdlingr wrote: »

i'd to double take the article aswell, the sanction isn't against them making signings under 18, it's BECAUSE of obscure practice with signings under 18.

The ban is a national and international ban with no reference to age, implying it's a full ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Will be reduced to a fine on appeal. That I'd be certain of.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The sanction is for transferring players under the age of 18, the ban is for all players.

Great to see a big club getting punished for breaking the rules.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You did - it's a full on ban for signing someone under 18. I don;t think you're allowed to tie someone under 18 down to a cotract.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The sanction is for transferring players under the age of 18, the ban is for all players.

Great to see a big club getting punished for breaking the rules.

I would say the Naymar situation didn't help with trying to dampen this one down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I believe Chelsea had a transfer ban imposed upon them in around 2011, something to do with the transfer of Kakuta.

Very bad news for Barca. I hope it doesn't get change on appeal though.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I would say the Naymar situation didn't help with trying to dampen this one down.

The Neymar situation is an entirely separate investigation, which may include additional or separate sanctions and or punishments.

Personally don't think this will get winced down. While Chelsea had their's rebuked, I believe that was down to one specific transfer. It would appear here there is a case of serial offences from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Loooool more then a club indeed. Defence will be funny next year.

I can see all players out on loan that are close to breaking into the first team getting called back pretty pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My initial thoughts was that it had to do with the Neymer signing.

With Valdes and Puyol gone in July, they do need some urgent back up.

Cue appeal..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

They'll still be able to loan players in no?

TheDoc wrote: »
    The Neymar situation is an entirely separate investigation, which may include additional or separate sanctions and or punishments.

Ohh I know that but definitely wouldn't have helped.

They'll still be able to loan players in no?

Don't believe so.

Spanish FA also got a fair rasp on the knuckles for this, apart from a fine having a deadline to resolve the issue with minors and how they are dealt with relating to contracts and buyoutclauses etc.

Hopefully will see an end to that ridiculous system they have in Spain which makes signing a player there like searching for the Holy Grail.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

they could be left stuck for a goalkeeper ?

Ter Stegen was signed on a pre-contract, so they should be alright on that front.

CB issue is that bit more problematic for them, especially considering Puyol is retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Is there anything regarding their right to appeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Ter Stegen was signed on a pre-contract, so they should be alright on that front.

CB issue is that bit more problematic for them, especially considering Puyol is retiring.

Depends, he wouldn't be registered as a Barcelona player yet, so could be blocked from actually playing for them even though he'd be at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is there anything regarding their right to appeal?

I would think they could appeal and even appeal the appeal to the CAS, thus being able to sign away this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

What exactly are they found guilty of? Did they not register them properly. The article above spells out that they breached regulations but it doesn't go into detail of what exactly Barcelona did wrong. Did they fail to provide adequate education?

Most clubs sign kids under 18, strange that a club the size of Barcelona would be found in breach of guidelines. They've got a connection with Unicef for years.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I would think they could appeal and even appeal the appeal to the CAS, thus being able to sign away this summer

That's what I'm thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Cue Barca denying any wrongdoing but paying a huge fine anyway, just to avoid the matter "dragging on".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Lennonist wrote: »
    What exactly are they found guilty of? Did they not register them properly. The article above spells out that they breached regulations but it doesn't go into detail of what exactly Barcelona did wrong. Did they fail to provide adequate education?

Most clubs sign kids under 18, strange that a club the size of Barcelona would be found in breach of guidelines. They've got a connection with Unicef for years.

To be fair, i don't think UNICEF has anything to do with it...unless it was taking scouting to a whole new level of shadiness...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ballague saying it's for Jan and Summer 2015 so they will have this window to set themselves up at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

How did Barca let this happen?

I mean, surely it's very obvious to the authorities when a kid from Asia or South America turns up at La Mesia?

I get that this used to be standard practice but surely to god Barca would have realised that they couldn't continue to do it once the rules changed.

I don't particularly care what happens to Barca but if they just blatantly flaunted the rules and moved minors across the world so they'd save on future transfer fees, then this ban really should be upheld.

Lennonist wrote: »

You're not allowed to sign under-18's from outside the EU unless they're resident in the country already.

If you think about how Messi arrived at Barca before this rule was in place. That's outlawed now.

I guess it's to prevent a pointless upheaval in a child's life in case the football doesn't work out, and also to prevent poaching of minors internationally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Everyone and their mothers dog knows this will not be enforced against Barca. They'll appeal, get a bigger fine and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I've been saying for a long time now that Barca are up there with the most crooked clubs around. This is further validation of that. Would also be surprised to see the full punishment stick though. With the GK and CB situation they are screwed if it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This is like Al Capone being done for tax evasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The Spanish FA getting sanctioned as well, they were obviously involved and aware of the breach of regulations.

If the transfer ban doesn't happen until next January and the following summer as has been mentioned, then they'll just sign a rake of players this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im sure Chelsea got a 3 window ban but it was appealed and I think we missed only 1 due to Kakuta and a pre-contract taking him from France.

Id be surprised if this stuck anyway, remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Im sure Chelsea got a 3 window ban but it was appealed and I think we missed only 1 due to Kakuta and a pre-contract taking him from France.

Id be surprised if this stuck anyway, remains to be seen.

FIFA are coming down hard on Spanish clubs,I posted a link before regarding the financial shenanigans in Spain & how they want this sorted.I don't think an appeal will work in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Ballague saying it's for Jan and Summer 2015 so they will have this window to set themselves up at the back.

That's not what he's saying on SSN now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I can see all players out on loan that are close to breaking into the first team getting called back pretty pronto.

Looks like returning loan players won't be too much help in the keeper or centre back situations

No.PositionPlayer—22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.pngMFRafinha (at Celta until 30 June 2014)23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.pngFWGerard Deulofeu (at Everton until 30 June 2014)23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.pngFWBojan Krkić (at Ajax until 30 June 2014)22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.pngFWKeirrison (at Coritiba until 30 June 2014)

PuyLOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That's not what he's saying on SSN now.

It's what he said on Twitter earlier. Not like him to change his tune :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That's a big problem for them.

Valdes out, Pinto leaving, their CB's are ****ed,...

However, I can see this end the same way like the Chelsea case with Kakuta (?), it will probably fall through on appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If it is a ban for summer 2014 and winter 2015 transfer windows then they'll just offer Puyol a one year extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

We're calm about the transfer ban. It's a normal procedure, now we have 90 days to appeal and to explain things.

I'm sure something will be worked out.

Its a stupid rule. The young players in question obviously want to be there.

The view right now is a negative one, one that instigates that Barca are taking kids from their birth country, separating them from relatives and friends, and then when they eventually dont "make it" they get tossed out.

But what kid who loves football wouldn't snatch at an opportunity like Barcelona (or United, Bayern etc...)? It introduces them to a higher standard of football at a young age, higher than some of the leagues they would be in if they stayed at their home country.

No one cant say for sure, but I don't think Messi would have been anywhere near as good if he stayed in Rosario. Yes, medical treatments wouldn't have been available, but training daily with brilliant players is something that everyone would benefit from.

If they're gifted & if they want it, give them the best opportunities!

miralize wrote: »
    I'm sure something will be worked out.

Its a stupid rule. The young players in question obviously want to be there.

The view right now is a negative one, one that instigates that Barca are taking kids from their birth country, separating them from relatives and friends, and then when they eventually dont "make it" they get tossed out.

But what kid who loves football wouldn't snatch at an opportunity like Barcelona (or United, Bayern etc...)? It introduces them to a higher standard of football at a young age, higher than some of the leagues they would be in if they stayed at their home country.

No one cant say for sure, but I don't think Messi would have been anywhere near as good if he stayed in Rosario. Yes, medical treatments wouldn't have been available, but training daily with brilliant players is something that everyone would benefit from.

If they're gifted & if they want it, give them the best opportunities!

Messi is about the worst yardstick you could pick to justify this policy.

And the only justification you can give is that the kids 'want to be there'. that's like saying there should be no such thing as statutory rape.

Barca have around 400 youth players I think.

Clubs are basically businesses and businesses shouldn't be able to treat minors as assets, regardless of the potential benefit for the kids concerned.

There's also the issue of clubs basically hoovering up all the young talent from around the world and global leagues falling even further behind their European counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Would they be able to pick up players who are out of contract ? I think Marseille got Tony Cascarino despite a transfer embargo , although big Tony might be a bit old for Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Am i the only one here who still thinks it's only a slap on the wrist? Why is it the next two transfer windows after this summer instead of the next two windows? Sure they can just do all their planned business for the next while this summer then...a post world cup transfer window i might add.

This embargo will be lifted on appeal anyways given football is crooked as ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

spiralism wrote: »
    Am i the only one here who still thinks it's only a slap on the wrist? Why is it the next two transfer windows after this summer instead of the next two windows? Sure they can just do all their planned business for the next while this summer then...a post world cup transfer window i might add.

This embargo will be lifted on appeal anyways given football is crooked as ****.

It is the next two windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's what he said on Twitter earlier. Not like him to change his tune :pac:

:D

Also I never knew CHF was Swiss Francs!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

gosplan wrote: »
    You're not allowed to sign under-18's from outside the EU unless they're resident in the country already.

If you think about how Messi arrived at Barca before this rule was in place. That's outlawed now.

I guess it's to prevent a pointless upheaval in a child's life in case the football doesn't work out, and also to prevent poaching of minors internationally.

Are you sure thats the rule, MUFC signed a 17 year old from (non-EU) Switzerland a few months ago without there appearing to be any such issue.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2410260/Manchester-United-sign-17-year-old-Saidy-Janko-FC-Zurich.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It is the next two windows.
    @GuillemBalague 3h
    About FCB. Sanction is for two consecutive transfer windows (Jan and summer 2015). Club plans 2 appeal

As mentioned earlier in the thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

spiralism wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier in the thread..

Ballague is a hack of the highest order, and went on to contradict himself anyway. It's the next two windows according to actually credible news sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Maybe Ballague meant the 2014/15 season and just had a typo and a brainfart wrote 2015? But he clearly meant to the next two windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement