Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Question

Options
  • 02-04-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious as to how often folks on here have someone look at their swim stroke.

The reason I ask is because it's probably been around 10 to 12 weeks since I had someone look at mine. Over the last week or so I started to get some mild shoulder pain and I couldn't put my finger on the root cause. Bumped in to a fellow boardsie at the pool on Monday and he pointed out something to me. Tried to address on Monday and again today. Hey presto, no shoulder pain.

I guess it just re-inforced for me how important feedback on your swim stroke is. Especially if you're an adult learner who swims solo 99% of the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how often folks on here have someone look at their swim stroke.

Not often enough now that I don't have interested breathing down my neck every Monday evening. But I agree, it's something that should be done fairly regularly if you can't do a weekly coached session and that doesn't necessarily mean an expensive trip to the B2R tank every month. A helpful friend can help as well as it's difficult to see what you are doing yourself. Even if that is someone who only thinks they can swim. Thankfully one of my new tri clubs has arranged underwater cameras (phone tried to change that to underwear cameras, a whole different ball game!!) which will hopefully prove useful.

Oh, and glad I could be of service although some would say it's the blind leading the blind :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I watched a club member swimming lately, and took a risk and mentioned something about their stroke to them. They took it well, which is how it was meant. I am a crap swimmer, but I could see something wrong with their stroke (based on the fact I make similar mistakes) that I thought they would benefit getting proper advice on - which is what I told them to do.

But in five years of club swimming I have had one other person do this to me. Just one. I appreciated his advice, I mean he can see my swimming, I can't! And technique coaching is thin on the ground in the club at the best of times. I often wish the sharks would tell me if they see me doing something wrong, but they never do. I have had video analysis about 5 times, and a few one on one lessons years ago. I honestly cant afford a one on one coach that often. I just wish in the club people were less afraid to give each other feedback. We could save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Once a month ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

@Oryx....nice form on your itty bitty whatsapp photo. ;) Make that into a video and I'll critique it for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »
    @Oryx....nice form on your itty bitty whatsapp photo. ;) Make that into a video and I'll critique it for you. :)

We could start a 'critique my stroke' thread, as long as it didn't degenerate into a slagging match between the usual subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    If I can make my phone waterproof youre on.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Well I'm not giving Oryx advice, she is already gone before I start talking. But as she can confirm I "received" some advice from a club member who is better/faster than me but was doing their recommendation worse than me!!!!!!!
    I guess you need to be open to all advice.

Advertisement