Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

panic attacks over job

Options
  • 02-04-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I'm new to Boards and hope I'm doing the right thing by starting a new thread. I hope someone out there can tell me whether I'm not alone in my situation. I was unemployed for a long time between going back to college as a mature student and then graduating into a recession. A couple of months ago I began work in a call centre, alot of abusive calls. I've been down going into work each day and don't enjoy weekends as I'm dreading monday morning. Yesterday I got a bad call and couldn't catch my breath, choked down tears for rest of the day and even hid in the toilets for 10 minutes to try to stop shaking. Came home and cried for the evening. I feel so panicked I rang in sick and when I think about going back in I can't breath. Don't know what to do, I look around at other agents and wonder what's so wrong with me that I can't handle it and they can. Is there anyone out there that feels like this or has experienced this or any suggestions about what I should do, I feel like crawling into bed and never getting out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Mooncoin wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to Boards and hope I'm doing the right thing by starting a new thread. I hope someone out there can tell me whether I'm not alone in my situation. I was unemployed for a long time between going back to college as a mature student and then graduating into a recession. A couple of months ago I began work in a call centre, alot of abusive calls. I've been down going into work each day and don't enjoy weekends as I'm dreading monday morning. Yesterday I got a bad call and couldn't catch my breath, choked down tears for rest of the day and even hid in the toilets for 10 minutes to try to stop shaking. Came home and cried for the evening. I feel so panicked I rang in sick and when I think about going back in I can't breath. Don't know what to do, I look around at other agents and wonder what's so wrong with me that I can't handle it and they can. Is there anyone out there that feels like this or has experienced this or any suggestions about what I should do, I feel like crawling into bed and never getting out!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. We all react differently to different situations.

Might be time to give up job - sounds dramatic but no job is worth your health plus i presume you are hardly geting paid a lot for call centre job.

Maybe see a counsellor, maybe see a doctor, maybe look for another job, maybe speak to your boss.

Again absolutely nothing wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There's nothing wrong with you OP. Not everybody is suited to call centre work.

The first step should be to talk to HR or your manager and explain any concerns you have in relation to your job. Maybe they can offer you further training to help with dealing with the abusive calls and any other aspects you are not sure about.

If you are still unhappy, then you may have no option to leave your job. I know it's not easy to do this at the moment when jobs are so scarce but your health is more important in the long run. T

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mooncoin

Thanks Irishguy1983, felt like I was going mad, was looking around at everyone else like I wasn't really there or it was a bad nightmare. You're right in that I'm not getting bad good wage, wouldn't mind if I was happy in the job though. I do you think you're right about maybe talking to my doctor, I just freeze and tense up when I think about walking through the door again. I'm not someone that often cries but cried like a baby as soon as I came home yesterday and felt so worn out and exhausted, even afraid ringing in this morning. My partner is very supportive but I can't help feel like I'm letting him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Mooncoin,
    I have a relative who was in similar situation, and maybe it is a coincidence, but it was also in a call centre, in a centain Deise city.....
    Ask around and see what the turnover in staff is like. IF turnover is high, then you can see that is was.nt just you, but the work situation that is the problem.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I used to work (and still do occasionally) on a call centre and have to take the odd abusive and angry call. Our company did run a "How to deal with a difficult Customer" course once but it was the daftest thing ever I attended but I picked up one or two pointers.

It does come down to experience though. I remember way back when I got my first shouter on the phone (who became a weekly repeat shouter until the situation was solved), it lingered on my mind and I lost sleep. But it gets easier and I now have various techniques about how to handle these types of situations.

Thankfully it's not a regular occurence but I'm sure the likes of call centres for phone service providers or subscriptions service get their fair share.

Just wondering did you get any training when you started? Did they cover difficult customers? Before you quit, I'd check with your company do they do the courses on handling irate people? Have a word with a couple of colleagues, ask them how they handle it. See what floating around Google on the subject (HERES an example). Build up your own book of techniques to maybe someday pass along to the next newbie. Time and experience might be all you need and a good set of teeth to grit while listening to the loons (there I said it, a lot of people who roar and shout and are rude are looney tunes in my books but you will learn to seperate them from the genuinely frustrated because you have to accept that sometimes the service your company provides is shít).

However your health should come first so if you don't think you could handle any more then it's not the end of all days, just not the right job for you. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Irishguy1983, felt like I was going mad, was looking around at everyone else like I wasn't really there or it was a bad nightmare. You're right in that I'm not getting bad good wage, wouldn't mind if I was happy in the job though. I do you think you're right about maybe talking to my doctor, I just freeze and tense up when I think about walking through the door again. I'm not someone that often cries but cried like a baby as soon as I came home yesterday and felt so worn out and exhausted, even afraid ringing in this morning. My partner is very supportive but I can't help feel like I'm letting him down.

I'm guessing this is the first time in your life your experience real anxiety - can be confusing but don't bother trying to figure it out on your own!

Reach out to people who can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. We all react differently to different situations.

Ahh, it's pretty clear that the OP is experiencing symptoms, and that there is something wrong.

What I think people are trying to say is that yes, there are a range of health conditions that can cause these symptoms in human beings in general: what the OP is experiencing is not unique to them - and is (anecdotally at least) quite common in call-centre staff.

OP, you need to see a health professional. Your GP is probably the best starting point, and they may well refer you to some other professionals (counsellor, psychologist, etc) too. They will also recommend appropriate treatment, which may or may not include medication, certificated time off work etc.

If it happens that your own GP is not sympathetic (happens sometimes if they don't don't have much experience in these types of issues), then go and see another one. Some people post in their regional forums asking for recommendations of GPs who are particularly good with types of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

The company has a responsibility to protect your health in the workplace as far as I know (perhaps someone can clarify).

I had similar happen to me. I went to my GP, but made the mistake (in hindsight) of specifically telling my GP NOT to put Work Related Stress on the cert. That is what she wanted to put on it, but I felt, that this would bring the powers that be down on top of me, and that it would be seen that I wasn't fit to handle the job. Mistake no. 1

Long story short, I went back for two days (again, I stupidly only took 2 days off, against the GP's advice - Mistake no. 2), went back then for 2 days, and never went back again.

I can identify with the feeling of almost spinning around and almost feeling like you're not really there and not knowing what was reality for sure anymore. The first day I left, I was dry wretching. I was not fit to drive home so had to get a colleague to drive me home.

I went to my GP the next day. I explained everything to her. She was brilliantly understanding, but I was so highly strung out, I was in complete and utter adrenalin mode and unable to see the wood from the trees.

In the heel of the hunt, a solicitor advised me that I would probably have a very strong Personal Injury case. I didn't go down that route, as I ended up being offered Voluntary Redundancy and just wanted to forget the whole nightmare.

They should provide you with training. They should have a structure for you to escalate situations upwards for handling when you are being abused by customers. No more than if you injure yourself at work, your mental health should not be put in jeopardy at work.

Take care of yourself. Take it easy. Go to your GP and take their advice. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dealing with difficult calls take time and experience.
    But as you've been there a couple of months perhaps you need to talk to someone else about it.

thanks so much to everyone that replied. I really agree that I need to speak with a doctor soon. In reply to some of the messages, yes there is a high turnover in staff and an awful lot of very young people who seem to be much better able to deal with it than me (I'm 36). I can't put it down to lack of experience as I worked in a call centre years ago for a few years. I was miserable in it then but not to the extent of the way I am now with the anxiety attacks. I feel like I can't even go back in to work out my notice, when I think about it my chest seizes up and I feel so disappointed in myself for not having better coping skills at my age. Feel like I'm going backwards with age. My life at the moment apart from the job is going fine. Last year hit me like a ton of bricks, my father got cancer and the whole year was spent from scan to scan waiting to see if the chemo worked. Myself and my partner were burlgled and moved out of that house to another house but I spent probably 4 months solid locking myself into my bedroom when my partner was working (he works some night shifts) not sleeping and convinced someone was going to break in and attack me! This all sounds a bit mad when I put it down on paper but at the time it was so real to me. This year though everything has improved alot, the chemo is working for my Dad and me and my fiance are in a home we love and I feel safe in. Do you think that anxiety can just be lying dormant in someone and then come out when life starts to improve? I really don't know, thought I'd come out of being so down last year but all of a sudden it feels worse than ever.

• Advertisement

Ahh, it's pretty clear that the OP is experiencing symptoms, and that there is something wrong.

What I think people are trying to say is that yes, there are a range of health conditions that can cause these symptoms in human beings in general: what the OP is experiencing is not unique to them - and is (anecdotally at least) quite common in call-centre staff.

OP, you need to see a health professional. Your GP is probably the best starting point, and they may well refer you to some other professionals (counsellor, psychologist, etc) too. They will also recommend appropriate treatment, which may or may not include medication, certificated time off work etc.

If it happens that your own GP is not sympathetic (happens sometimes if they don't don't have much experience in these types of issues), then go and see another one. Some people post in their regional forums asking for recommendations of GPs who are particularly good with types of problems.

Nothing wrong with the OP i meant. They are suffering with anxiety - this does not mean there is something wrong with them - far from it.

Do you think that anxiety can just be lying dormant in someone and then come out when life starts to improve? I really don't know, thought I'd come out of being so down last year but all of a sudden it feels worse than ever.

Yes, I do think so. But I think moreso, it can be a culmination of situations. Keep pouring water into a glass little by little, eventually it's going to overflow.

sopretty wrote: »
    The company has a responsibility to protect your health in the workplace as far as I know (perhaps someone can clarify).

I had similar happen to me. I went to my GP, but made the mistake (in hindsight) of specifically telling my GP NOT to put Work Related Stress on the cert. That is what she wanted to put on it, but I felt, that this would bring the powers that be down on top of me, and that it would be seen that I wasn't fit to handle the job. Mistake no. 1

Long story short, I went back for two days (again, I stupidly only took 2 days off, against the GP's advice - Mistake no. 2), went back then for 2 days, and never went back again.

I can identify with the feeling of almost spinning around and almost feeling like you're not really there and not knowing what was reality for sure anymore. The first day I left, I was dry wretching. I was not fit to drive home so had to get a colleague to drive me home.

I went to my GP the next day. I explained everything to her. She was brilliantly understanding, but I was so highly strung out, I was in complete and utter adrenalin mode and unable to see the wood from the trees.

In the heel of the hunt, a solicitor advised me that I would probably have a very strong Personal Injury case. I didn't go down that route, as I ended up being offered Voluntary Redundancy and just wanted to forget the whole nightmare.

They should provide you with training. They should have a structure for you to escalate situations upwards for handling when you are being abused by customers. No more than if you injure yourself at work, your mental health should not be put in jeopardy at work.

Take care of yourself. Take it easy. Go to your GP and take their advice. Best of luck.
    Hi Sopretty, that's exactly how I feel. There isn't an escalation procedure as such (you're not to put supervisor on phone unless it's the end of the world) and there is only a 30 second interval between the end of one call and the beginning of the next. If you're in aftercall you're monitored and called up about it, also it's sent around by email to all your team stating your stats. Got bad calls before and I would feel shaken and I knew it was building up in me as each bad call made me feel worse and worse but I was expecting how yesterdays call pushed me right over the edge. So frightened when I couldn't catch my breath and felt so panicked on my own in the toilet cubicle trying to steady myself. Couldn't barely talk to any of my colleagues at lunch as i didn't want to break down in tears. By the time my shift was over everyone was telling me I looked like death, just told them I wasn't feeling well. Thanks for the post sopretty as it's so similar to how I felt that I don't feel alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...then come out when life starts to improve?...

For me it usually when I take a break after a tough or busy time do I end up getting a a flu or some such. Its as if the body knows it can take a breather. You'd have to talk to a professional/GP about stress and such to see if its similar.

Helpdesks are stressful. There's a high rate of staff burnt out on them.

That does sound very stressful. My job was similarly stressful with unachievable goals having been set. Everyone else just did what they could and wandered home and left the job behind them. I, like an eejit, met every bloody target (combination of being ambitious and a perfectionist) and damaged my health in the process. I got no thanks for that, I can assure you! Don't sell your soul for this company. You're protected by law. Get your GP to sign you off work for as long as she sees fit (she might recommend a week or something, and review you after that). Please do heed the GP's advice.

Just to let you know, my GP started me on anti-depressants at that first consultation. They worked well for anxiety for me, though don't work instantly.

[MOD NOTE - added the bold bits above to be 100% clear that the poster is telling their own experience. We cannot give general advice about the effectiveness of specific treatments here. Mrs O'B]

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I worked as a manager in a call centre for years. Your situation is not unusual at all Mooncoin - and often I found older people (not that 36 is old) had more trouble than younger people in adapting.
    Maybe they have more responsibilities and therefore more pressure on them or something like that, it was definitely something I noticed.

You should definitely talk to your GP, and you should also definitely talk to your manager or HR representative. The company I worked for had an Employee Assistance Programme that I know a number of people got great help from.

Hope things work out for you.

Thanks everyone, spent the morning online looking for jobs and think I'm now a bit overwhelmed so need to just take a breather. I've just made an appointment with the Doctor, so for now i'll call that step one.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

as the other posters said, sadly its normal enough , and wont be the last job that will make you feel like that. It can even happen when you feel like the most competent person in the office. i.e. your upbringing might have set you up to be a hard worker, conscientious, customer focused , whereas those around you are clock watching to get out. A big problem in the public service , so a PS mate of mine tells me...

As the posters said speak to your GP for some perspective.

I might suggest, you keep a journal, write down how you are feeling , and what triggers this feelings, If this is your first job , you can use it to discover exactly what you dont want in the next job. That way something horrible can have a positive outcome, and all going well you will have developed strategies for handling difficult issues in the workplace...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There's nothing wrong with you OP. Not everybody is suited to call centre work.

The first step should be to talk to HR or your manager and explain any concerns you have in relation to your job. Maybe they can offer you further training to help with dealing with the abusive calls and any other aspects you are not sure about.

If you are still unhappy, then you may have no option to leave your job. I know it's not easy to do this at the moment when jobs are so scarce but your health is more important in the long run. T

I had a similar experience when I left college and worked for Abrakebabra. Stressed myself out because I couldnt remember the customer orders, was getting them wrong, was making messy kebabs......they were getting abusive about it......I ended up getting worse and worse at it because I was stressed.

After 3 weeks the manager called me aside and told me I wasnt up to scratch and had to let me go.......I felt absolutely **** about it......"if I cant do this then what can I do"....

Well that was just about the most stressful job I've ever had, as well as by far the worst paid.

I've since had jobs on very good money where I was told I was performing very well.

OP there are things you are good at. And maybe call centre isnt one of them.

And if that is the case, grin and bear it until something else comes along.

In the meantime......remember the dictum (that I have just made up).....the lower paid you are, the worse the average joe will treat you........the higher paid you are, the more people will treat you with respect.......

People are abusive because of their bad attitudes.

Mother of God, whatever you do........dont go thinking its your fault.

Just to let you know, my GP started me on anti-depressants at that first consultation. They worked well for anxiety for me, though don't work instantly.

If a GP put me on anti-depressants at the first consultation, I'd be looking for a new GP.

• Advertisement

Final comment OP.....

You are probably dreading the prospect of unemployment because of what you've been through.

The economy is improving. It should be much easier to get a new job now than three years ago, particularly near the big cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Mooncoin I'd really urge you not to do anything rash until you feel in a more steady state of mind. The doctor should be able to help you in some way (even if it just signing you off for a couple of weeks). The doctor will also probably have seen a lot of similar cases so follow their advice. Take some time to yourself, get a bit of distance and then decide.
    If your company has an employee assistance program use it. You can get some free counselling & employment rights advice.

On a separate note - years ago I worked in a call centre and we were told if somebody was abusive or intimidating we could say we were terminating the call and hang up. Maybe try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    If a GP put me on anti-depressants at the first consultation, I'd be looking for a new GP.
    Agreed.
    On a separate note - years ago I worked in a call centre and we were told if somebody was abusive or intimidating we could say we were terminating the call and hang up. Maybe try that?
    This. This 100%

Most call centres I have worked in have a three strike rule when it comes to abusive calls. This allows you to hang up if the caller is being a dick.

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed.

This. This 100%

Just to clarify in relation to the GP putting me on anti-depressants at that time. I didn't want to bring it on the thread as it is off topic to the OP.

1. I had a history of post-natal depression from several years prior to this incident.
    2. The consultation with the GP lasted approximately one hour
    3. I was in a pretty bad state by the time I sought medical advice
    4. The GP suggested short term medications for the anxiety but I refused them as I have a history of addiction.
    5. While I could appear normal in the workplace, my head was 'gone'.
    6. The GP after a significant consultation realised just exactly how far I was gone past the point of rescue by non medical intervention (bearing in mind the referral time required for counselling).

The reason I mentioned this point on the thread is because the first time I was ever put on anti-depressants (the PND incident), I felt that this was further evidence that I was 'gone mad'.
    I simply wanted to prepare the OP for the option that medication MAY be prescribed for her symptoms and to not extrapolate wild notions from the fact IF indeed it happens to be the case.

On a separate note - years ago I worked in a call centre and we were told if somebody was abusive or intimidating we could say we were terminating the call and hang up. Maybe try that?[/QUOTE]

In reply to Littlefriend and syco, unfortunately we are not permitted to terminate the call no matter how abusive it gets. I was aware of some centres allowing you to terminate the call if the customer is cursing at you and brought this up in training, but was told that they used to allow this but don't anymore and advised that all we can do is keep saying 'I don't see how we can resolve this with you speaking to me like that', if the customer continues we just have to say it over and over. So, in essence, you get a real feeling of no support and that you're just being used as a punch bag for the customers to take out their frustrations on.

In relation to sopretty, I completely understand where you were coming from when you suggested I might be put on anti-depressants and then your explanation of why you were put on them by your GP on your first visit. I went to see my GP this morning and he too put me straight on antidepressants, but with me also, sopretty, I had a build up of things, not just work that brought me to the point I'm at now. Me and my partner within six months went through a burglary, my Dad got cancer, my sister was in an abusive relationship for years and we never knew and we moved house twice. I locked myself away from the world for about 4 months last year, didn't want to see anyone or meet any of my friends. Told myself I was much now and to leave last year behind. However, as sopretty put it so well, i was like a container being filled with water and eventually I overflowed. i've been signed off of work for a couple of weeks and really need to evaluate things. Thanks everyone for replying to my thread, it means the world to know you're not alone feeling the way you do x

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mooncoin, pack up that ridiculous job immediately. No-one should have to spend their time feeling like that, and no job is worth putting up with that sort of carry-on. There'll be plenty other much better jobs - get out of there now, before it hurts you. And the very best of luck to you, I hope you feel better soon.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mooncoin, pack up that ridiculous job immediately. No-one should have to spend their time feeling like that, and no job is worth putting up with that sort of carry-on. There'll be plenty other much better jobs - get out of there now, before it hurts you. And the very best of luck to you, I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for that jimgoose, a couple of people have said to me 'ah sure in a couple of weeks you'll be grand' but they just don't seem to understand the stress a job like that brings. And you hit the nail on the head when you said to get out before it hurts you, I do feel like it does damage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Thanks for that jimgoose, a couple of people have said to me 'ah sure in a couple of weeks you'll be grand' but they just don't seem to understand the stress a job like that brings. And you hit the nail on the head when you said to get out before it hurts you, I do feel like it does damage

I've seen a dozen of them - a bunch of yahoos who make their money by riding the customers sideways, pissing them off and then employing a phalanx of people to answer phones, doing much the equivalent of medieval soldiers puring boiling oil off the battlements onto the barbarian hordes. I believe most normal human-beings are not able to put in their work time like that. Don't play that game. As I said, the very best of luck to you.

Gosh, I'm delighted to hear that. Absolutely delighted. Don't feel one bit guilty about being signed off work. They don't care about your health! You'll get no thanks for stressing yourself to the point of ill-health to impress or please them either!
    Take this time to regroup and relax and recover.
    I'm so happy to hear that your GP was caring.
    Just in case you've no experience of anti-d's, they can take a couple of weeks to kick in, in my experience. Also, if at any time you feel worse, go straight back to your GP for a chat.
    Now, put the feet up, watch a bit of TV, or natter on here and forget that hell-hole for now. :cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks jimgoose and thanks sopretty I really feel like you've gone through exactly what I'm going through now and I can't tell you how much it helps me to hear from your perspective and experience and am so grateful to you and everyone that took the time out of their day to help someone they don't even know - there are some really good people out there x

Advertisement