Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring Video Footage...

• 02-04-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what is the best scenario for transferring video footage (Go Pro 3) while on a weeks holiday biking? Don't particularly want to take a heavy laptop with me and to buy a rake of large capacity class 10 micro SD cards in not cheap, not the good brand anyway. I do have a Nexus 10 tablet with a large capacity so that could be the way to go.....

Anyone else have a good solution as I know most of the lads on here have been abroad on the bikes.

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

OH NO...itll be like looking at someones holiday snaps...........:eek:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I'll be bringing my surface, can store it on that until were all back! How much space do you think you will need, can bring an external usb hdd too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I'll be bringing my surface, can store it on that until were all back! How much space do you think you will need, can bring an external usb hdd too.

Well everyone of us wont be able to store video on your machine. Not unless we all bring a portible HDD or at least 2-3 of us do and just use your hub. I have a 1TB drive here but it needs power, might see what the largest HDD I can get that does need its own power be lighter and less fuss.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well everyone of us wont be able to store video on your machine. Not unless we all bring a portible HDD or at least 2-3 of us do and just use your hub. I have a 1TB drive here but it needs power, might see what the largest HDD I can get that does need its own power be lighter and less fuss.

Have a 750 GB usb3 hdd, surely that should enough.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

On previous trips one of us has used their smart phone, a usb hub and a usb powered external HD.

This was far from ideal.
    - We had to alternate nights between us for transferring our individual footage.
    - It was intensive on his phone's battery so it had to be done overnight while the phone was charging.
    - The usb to micro usb adapter was pretty loose in the phone's micro usb port and came out a few times when moved, so you can have the pain of failing to copy +3GB files in the last few seconds of copying :mad:

The best out of the box option is probably using a tablet, usb hub, and usb powered external HD. The tablet and slim line external hd should be small enough to not not be too much of a hassle.

A better solution would to build your own 'Tech Box'. Use your phone as simply a display screen for the box while the box does all the transferring and powering of devices. Something like a modified Raspberry Pi maybe. That could be a lot of work though :)

• Advertisement

Have a 750 GB usb3 hdd, surely that should enough.:confused:

There are 6 of us with cameras? Thats a hell of alot of footage and if anything happens to your unit all the footage is gone m8. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

No easy solution, it takes both time and power, as described, no matter what you use actually.

All I can suggest is a USB safe or backup with a little monitor ~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Lets say most of you will be recording at 1080 60p. How much space will 1 hour of recording take up? I know my 50 min commute can be around 16gb of data with my cam. Lets say you each have 6 hrs or riding footage per day, that will be around 114gb of data each or 684gb between the six of you. Is recording at 1080 30p or 720 60p an option ? save on space

There are 6 of us with cameras? Thats a hell of alot of footage and if anything happens to your unit all the footage is gone m8. :eek:

I didn't realise there were so many camera's coming! Ye's are a bunch of perverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Something along the lines of this might to the trick

• Advertisement

I didn't realise there were so many camera's coming! Ye's are a bunch of perverts!

We are going through the red light district in Amsterdam....thats my 64GB micro SD fooked right there!!!!

:pac::pac:

leppla wrote: »
    Something along the lines of this might to the trick

That is the job alright maybe 2-3 of us can order one of them each. Another cost I did not plan for ffs! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ion564

usb + google drive will sort you out

ion564 wrote: »
    usb + google drive will sort you out

How will I update the footage without a internet compatible device. I aint stopping looking for internet cafes everyday. And uploading to a cloud would take an age would it not?

How will I update the footage without a internet compatible device. I aint stopping looking for internet cafes everyday. And uploading to a cloud would take an age would it not?

Depends on the Internet Speeds, some EU countries have faster mobile broadband than Eircom's Backbone. In Ireland, a full card would take an hour to get on the PC and maybe five hours to up upload.

On bicycle, I think the equipment needs would be a major concern, it's not like it can travel in a support car?

Wha'....:confused:

If we are going by bicycle I'm out dude! :eek:

Wha'....:confused:

Ya, I see, I'm following a few similar threads, you are not on a bicycle, sorry, I was thinking you'd not have the room or the weight or the bulk.

With a motor vehicle and good mobile in parts of Europe, on the go uploading might not be such a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

If we are going by bicycle I'm out dude! :eek:

Ah jayus. I had toughts of yiz in lycra for a second.

Ah jayus. I had toughts of yiz in lycra for a second.

Think about me often do ya Joe.....Id be the luckiest man alive if that did it for me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Jeez , what happened to the days of bringing a spare pair of jocks and a toothbrush?! :-D

jay48 wrote: »
    Jeez , what happened to the days of bringing a spare pair of jocks and a toothbrush?! :-D

We aren't going for a spin down to granny's for apple tart...:P
    What to remember the trip, 7 bikes around Europe is well worth recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

jay48 wrote: »

Spare Jocks . . . Good man I knew I left something off my list :eek::eek:

leppla wrote: »
    Spare Jocks . . . Good man I knew I left something off my list :eek::eek:

If you dont wear any they cant get durty....SIMPLES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

If yis pass through Switzerland you're more than welcome to use my internet and or hdd's as a backup/transfer device.

That said a 7 man MC rolling up to the apartment complex may scare the ol neighbors.

BKtje wrote: »
    If yis pass through Switzerland you're more than welcome to use my internet and or hdd's as a backup/transfer device.

That said a 7 man MC rolling up to the apartment complex may scare the ol neighbors.

Many Thanx for the offer, wont be too far from Switz. if you have any good routes in the south west of Germany PM me as I am struggling to stick together a nice loop. But we will be down as far as Koblenz so not a million miles away. Also looking for secure B&B's or Motels etc from Hook of Holland all the way down through Baden Baden all the way south if you have any info ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't know but will ask some people who may have some ideas.

BKtje wrote: »
    I don't know but will ask some people who may have some ideas.

Good stuff thanx.

Advertisement