Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Castle civil ceremony

Options
  • 02-04-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Anyone ever have on there or attend one there? Comments...

Should you organise like music for the ceremony even if not the traditional type?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I've been to an official paperworky legal CC (not in the castle) but it was rather cold, rushed and impersonal, I would imagine that the castle would have someone like an events manager/coordinator who would have the contacts to hand, and tailor the day day to the couple's requests. Give them a call maybe? (I am in no way connected to WC by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Call them. I'm 100% sure wedding coordinator will organise everything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

the civil ceremony language is...well it's legal speak really. There are some bits you can add in to make it a bit nicer/traditional....lighting of candles, readings etc.

They were very open to including pretty much whatever within reason but I would certainly look at including some music. Your best bet is to talk to the registrar who would be performing the ceremony and go from there, they will give you a better idea what can be done.

If you don't add anything in, it's quite short (10-15 mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I got married there in a civil ceremony but we were having the whole wedding there, I'm not sure if you're doing this? I suppose I'm biased but I thought it was really lovely. We did light candles and had my brother-in-law do a reading. My brother sang a song. We also had a harpist. She played for a good while when people were arriving etc, played a couple of songs during the ceremony and then afterwards while people were having drinks before dinner.

It's a great venue for it. It really looks well and they're well used to civil ceremonies over there. If you have any questions, you can drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

Just remember that you cannot have a civil ceremony at the weekend - unless you use someone like Tom Colton the Spiritualist (he is one of the few officiants who is recognised by the state and works at the weekend). The HSE do not work at the weekend so the registrar cannot perform the ceremony.

We did our civil ceremony on a Friday in the registry office on the Cork Road with just our witnesses, then on Saturday we hired the Castle for 24 hours (noon Saturday to noon Sunday we had the entire place to ourselves and it was closed to the public) and held a peronalised ceremony in the castle with 100 family and friends.

The castle is great, the organisers are very professional and we were able to have our own music, readings, candle ceremony, hand-binding etc. There were absolutely no restrictions on anything we wanted to do. We wrote our own ceremony and vows and had a friend, who is used to public speaking and performing, host the ceremony. (The legalities were already done the previous day). Really worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

If you have a humanist celebrant officiate you're not limited to Mon-Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

If you have a humanist celebrant officiate you're not limited to Mon-Friday.

Advertisement