Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man stabbed confronting youths.

Options
  • 02-04-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/motorist-stabbed-after-row-with-youths-in-cork-1.1747163

Not being funny but he was prob stabbed by one of his own kind driving down from the Northside.

Unless you were a fellow bad ass from the Northside, who the hell would get out of their car on Shandon Street and confront 2 youths at 10.25 pm at night!!

It's fairly depressing that kids these days are carrying around knifes etc on our streets...:(

ps Not saying he deserved it or anything like that. Fair play to him for taking a stand in some respects. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/motorist-stabbed-after-row-with-youths-in-cork-1.1747163

Not being funny but he was prob stabbed by one of his own kind driving down from the Northside.

Unless you were a fellow bad ass from the Northside, who the hell would get out of their car on Shandon Street and confront 2 youths at 10.25 pm at night!!

It's fairly depressing that kids these days are carrying around knifes etc on our streets...:(

ps Not saying he deserved it or anything like that. Fair play to him for taking a stand in some respects. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
    While the incident is worth a thread I'm not sure that was the best way to start it...

I hear he's doing well though, so thank goodness for that! On the radio after the assault on Winthrop Street people were saying they'd be afraid of confronting the assaulters in case they took out knives and stabbed them, I rolled my eyes to this thinking it would be so unlikely, kind of appreciate that point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have a clawbar under the seat as a matter of course in the highly unlikely event, and I'm not afraid to deploy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

TheChizler wrote: »
    While the incident is worth a thread I'm not sure that was the best way to start it...

I hear he's doing well though, so thank goodness for that! On the radio after the assault on Winthrop Street people were saying they'd be afraid of confronting the assaulters in case they took out knives and stabbed them, I rolled my eyes to this thinking it would be so unlikely, kind of appreciate that point now.

You're right. I am being very cheeky with that sweeping comment..and I know it too..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I used to live just off Shandon Street, almost 20 years ago, and it was dodgy then. It's sad to see things haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

TBH my only experience of Shandon Street is from 1996-2000 walking up to Neptune Stadium for end of year UCC exams. Lots of little side street and passages to hide and get up to mischief. But yeah, it looked dodgy.

7-8 years ago there was a proliferation of 'ethnic' shops up and down the street. I have been out of Cork 6 years now so I can't imagine it's any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I moved from Dublin to there in 1996 with my son who was only a couple of months old. I lived on Bob and Joan Walk just beside the bells. There were always big gangs of fellas hanging round and in the begining it was very intimdating walking past them but once you got to know them it was grand.I lived in between the two old graveyards. Sometimes people would sleep there and scare the $hite out of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I used to live off Shandon St, it was ridiculous the scumbags up there, no respect for anyone, we had glass bottles smashed off our house, people threatening to kill each other in a fight outside our door, my housemates car was broken into, I didn't feel safe there during the day and I wouldn't leave at night,
    As the OP said it's not a place I would confront anyone, the local tradition is to throw eggs it's a shame to think someone was stabbed over something as silly as this,

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

I have a clawbar under the seat as a matter of course in the highly unlikely event, and I'm not afraid to deploy it.

you are from the Northside, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Fiolina wrote: »
    I used to live just off Shandon Street, almost 20 years ago, and it was dodgy then. It's sad to see things haven't changed.

It did quieten down but in the last year its gone rough again, Something else beside the stabbing happened too last night as a mate who lives there was on the blower about a fight near the GlenRyan. 20 Years ago most of the lads smoked Hash around there now its all Heroin so its far worse, And nothing is being done to prevent Heroin dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Tbf if some toerags threw something at my car id confront them too, except id have a hurley with me;)

• Advertisement

flintash wrote: »
    you are from the Northside, right?

You could say I'm north of somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

u can say that way... not everyone's proud to be norrie. lol no offence dude, i know you carry some sort ofweapon

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

flintash wrote: »
    u can say that way... not everyone's proud to be norrie. lol no offence dude, i know you carry some sort ofweapon

Its not Northside v Southside its scum againest the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

I do exactly the same! He should have done us all a favour and run the little bastards over.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

With another stabbing today on North main street i wonder are incidents just being reported more or is violence starting to become a real concern.
    Either way this is terrible for the victims and wont help tourism,Would hate to see the place turn into the new Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I dunno, the one in north main street seems to be a personal one whereas the one in Shandon st seems to be fellas who are just plain maggots. They arrested a 60 year old for the one in north main street

http://corkindependent.com/20140410/news/gardai-arrest-suspect-over-stabbing-in-city-centre-S82506.html

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    With another stabbing today on North main street i wonder are incidents just being reported more or is violence starting to become a real concern.
    Either way this is terrible for the victims and wont help tourism,Would hate to see the place turn into the new Limerick.
    A new Limerick? Do you mean a city with a relatively low crime rate and significantly lower than Cork? I'll have some of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

A new Limerick? Do you mean a city with a relatively low crime rate and significantly lower than Cork? I'll have some of that!

Murder/Manslaughter

Dublin – 2.5
    Limerick City and County – 3.6
    Cork City (only) – 1.8

Attempts/Threats to Murder

Dublin – 13.6
    Limerick City and County – 19.9
    Cork City (only) – 4.5

Assaults

Dublin – 346
    Limerick City and County – 415
    Cork City (only) – 407

Kidnapping and related

Dublin – 4.2
    Limerick City and County – 3.6
    Cork City (only) – 0.9

Robbery

Dublin – 161.9
    Limerick City and County – 79.1
    Cork City (only) – 52

Burglary

Dublin – 823.4
    Limerick City and County – 668.8
    Cork City (only) – 398.2

Galway (I have included it here because Galway City and County seems to have a very high rate of burglary) 449.1

Theft and Related offences

Dublin – 2,316.5
    Limerick City and County – 1,718.9
    Cork City (only) – 1,655.7

Fraud and Deception

Dublin – 145.6
    Limerick City and County – 90.9
    Cork City (only) – 67.7

Possession of Drugs

Dublin – 640.1
    Limerick City and County – 527.4
    Cork City (only) – 466.4

Weapons and Exposives

Dublin – 19.9
    Limerick City and County – 19.4
    Cork City (only) – 5.4

Damage to Property

Dublin – 1,235.1
    Limerick City and County – 1,253.8
    Cork City (only) – 1,031

Disorderly Conduct

Dublin – 1,177.6
    Limerick City and County – 1,234.4
    Cork City (only) – 1,760.7

The bit in bold is the only category where Cork fares out worse.Granted these stats are from 2010 but according to the examiners crime supplement last year Dublin Limerick and Waterford still have bigger crime rates per head of population than Cork.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

omahaid wrote: »
    I dunno, the one in north main street seems to be a personal one whereas the one in Shandon st seems to be fellas who are just plain maggots. They arrested a 60 year old for the one in north main street

http://corkindependent.com/20140410/news/gardai-arrest-suspect-over-stabbing-in-city-centre-S82506.html

Passed this today after it just happened, oh my god the amount of blood. Your man seemed ok has as he was walking around, gardai had the other fella handcuffed sitting down outside Tonys Bistro.
    Something personal that gotten out of hand not a mugging or random attack.

omahaid wrote: »

Scumbags come in all shapes and sizes, and ages it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Someone with the username Pablo Escobar would prefer to live in Limerick than Cork... says it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Tbf if some toerags threw something at my car id confront them too, except id have a hurley with me;)

I'm more inclined to use a 7 iron.

Guard: How many times did you hit him?

Put me down for a four.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

snaphook wrote: »
    I'm more inclined to use a 7 iron.

Guard: How many times did you hit him?

Put me down for a four.

Its the one time I would not mind getting a triple bogey 7.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

young master tazer is your best buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lots of keyboard hard men here. No doubt, they'll solve our social problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've never felt the need to have a weapon in the car living here. You get the idiots, but that's true of every urban area. I certainly don't need to drive with the car doors locked, a can of Impulse in my bag and a baseball bat under the seat as I did in London.

It's a lot quieter living here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

You could say I'm north of somewhere.

Pretty much every county is north of cork... Vague much? :D

Advertisement