Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A song of 30 mins

• 02-04-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Please excuse the title as I did not know what title to best describe what I am looking for here. So here goes....

I am looking for classical music songs that are a min 30 mins long and going up to 60 mins. The reason is that I enjoy listening to classical music when I run. I used to listen to Beethoven's 6th or 7th (not sure which it was) and I had 26 mins of that. Its helps me zone out when running enabling me to run further for some reason. I used to listen to rock/metal which I love but every three mins a new song would play and that took me out of my zone so to speak.

So has anyone any suggestions for songs that have a slow build up(while I start running and get into pace) and that build up to a climatic finish as I get to the end of my run.

I appreciate this may be an odd request but any suggestions are greatly welcomed!!

frAg

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What you're really looking for are symphonies. Try getting a generic Classical or Romantic symphony set from a music shop - you can get a LOT of music very cheaply this way. Concertos might be up your alley also.

Some good composers for what you describe would be Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, for some mainstream, easy-to-get music. The later romantics/impressionists also wrote symphonies but these can be harder to listen to for newcomers to the genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Only 22mins 47 secs but I think it's amazing.

I heard it first when used on the trailer for Schindler's List.

Exodus by Wojciech Kilar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQbInyX3vm8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

When you say 'classical song' do you mean vocal singers or would instrumental pieces do?

You could get lost in Debussy's _ La Mer...

A good self contained piece might be Tehillim by Steve Reich although it does have a slow mvt in it!

Any John Adams orchestral works might be good uptempo music...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Here's some single movements of about 25 minutes. The 1812 overture probably fulfils the criteria of starting quietly but building up to a climax, though it is a bit short. Final movement of Beethoven 9th also has a climactic finish.

The first movement of the Shostakovich symphony has an interesting repeating theme that gets more and more frantic (a bit like Ravel's Bolero) in the middle of it.

Tchaikovsky: 1812 overture.
    (About 20 - 25 minutes)

Beethoven 9th - 4th movement.
    (about 25 minutes).

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7: 1. Allegretto
    (first movement about 25 minutes)

Florent Schmitt: La Tragedie de Salome

I would recommend editing several shorter pieces together to create what you want to bring the time up to an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Folks,

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I will check youtube later and have a listen to them all and see what grabs my attention.

And to clarify one posters question I am looking for instrumental only,

thanks again

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Some of the Mahler Symphonies have parts well over 30 minutes long.

Advertisement