Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limited equipment 5x5 advice

Options
  • 02-04-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello,

I want to put on some muscle and from reading around it seems that the 5x5 plan is a good starting point. The problem is that I have very limited equipment open to me and no real opportunity to expand it (no free weights)

I have access to a college "gym" that has a leg extension machine, hamstring curl machine, lat pull down, bench press machine , military press machine and a weighted curl machine.

There is also cardio machines like treadmills, rowers, crosstrainer, etc.

What I did last time was 5 sets of 5 reps on each machine, 3 times a week. increasing by 1 plate each workout. Was this right?

Or must I have the facility for deadlifts and squats in the program?

Any advice would be great.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Using just the equipment you posted you'll end up very imbalanced . The reason 5x5 is so powerful is that it uses allot of compound movements , squats , deadlifts , which use allot of different muscle groups throughout the whole body .Isolating machine work is going to make you proficient in doing those isolated movements and only strengthen certain areas , but leave you very very weak in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

papu wrote: »
    Using just the equipment you posted you'll end up very imbalanced . The reason 5x5 is so powerful is that it uses allot of compound movements , squats , deadlifts , which use allot of different muscle groups throughout the whole body .Isolating machine work is going to make you proficient in doing those isolated movements and only strengthen certain areas , but leave you very very weak in others.

I agree with you about free weight compound lifts being better, but not all machines are isolation exercise. And, you might not be suggesting that they are, I'm just highlighting it as I've seen isolation and machine use interchangeable more often lately.

OP:
    As above, free weights are a far far better option. If you've no other option, machine weights are better than doing nothing. But realistically, you never have no other option. Just options you don't want.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Does your gym have any free weights?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement