Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door chugging

Options
  • 02-04-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Has anybody around Salthill/Knocknacarra had a door to door collector this afternoon?

A guy called to our house and told me the other lady In the house told him to call back that he was collecting money and would like 3 euro & I would be entered Into a draw. When he said.3 euro he pointed at scratch cards he had that were the price , so I thought that is what I was getting.

Once given the money he asked my name & I just gave him my first name because I thought something seemed dodgy about him . He then just walked off... All very strange.

I was surprised he said the other lady said to call back because he had just heard her voice in the background, when I asked her about him she said he never called before.

I would be very interested to know if he called to any other houses and if he is legit or not!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I would be very interested to know if he called to any other houses and if he is legit or not!!

I very much doubt it, you've been scammed but at least it's only €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I very much doubt it, you've been scammed but at least it's only €3.

As long as the 3 euro is all he wanted then that's fine. He better not try and pull any other tricks!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Hanley centre are the dodgy collectors in town as well right? I steer well clear of them....

Dutchess wrote: »
    Hanley centre are the dodgy collectors in town as well right? I steer well clear of them....

Yeah I always steer clear of them when I'm in town. It was just when he called to the front door I almost felt obliged to give him money! I feel like an idiot now. As I said at least I only gave 3 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ThatFellaJohn

Ye sounds dodge.. Always check their ID and even call the ''Charity'' to check his credentials. There is a lot of that happening around dublin city, Sending Kids into pubs to collect ''Animal Charities'' is quite common at the moment!! Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Yeah I always steer clear of them when I'm in town. It was just when he called to the front door I almost felt obliged to give him money! I feel like an idiot now. As I said at least I only gave 3 euro!

Sure, I gave them €2 once going into HMV. Then when I came out same guy asked me again :rolleyes: I still kick myself about it when I see them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

To be honest, I dont know why anyone would give any money to any charity collector knocking at the door.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ThatFellaJohn

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    To be honest, I dont know why anyone would give any money to any charity collector knocking at the door.....

Nothing worse than someone calling with nothing to offer but a good feeling in exchange for my bank details!! No thanks... Offer me a deal on my lecky or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Has anybody around Salthill/Knocknacarra had a door to door collector this afternoon?

A guy called to our house and told me the other lady In the house told him to call back that he was collecting money and would like 3 euro & I would be entered Into a draw. When he said.3 euro he pointed at scratch cards he had that were the price , so I thought that is what I was getting.

Once given the money he asked my name & I just gave him my first name because I thought something seemed dodgy about him . He then just walked off... All very strange.

I was surprised he said the other lady said to call back because he had just heard her voice in the background, when I asked her about him she said he never called before.

crazy you gave him money at all. if he asked for a tenner would you give it?
    he has you marked down, your address is somewhere with a tick on it, either for himself to return or someone else under a different name.
    i wouldnt call it stealing, he asked, you gave.
    whats your address, i'll pop over. could do with a €50

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

swiftman wrote: »
    he has you marked down, your address is somewhere with a tick on it, either for himself to return or someone else under a different name.

In fairness, it's a lesson learned and ms sunshine isn't too out of pocket thankfully. Maybe you've never made a single mistake in your life, as unlikely as that possibility is.

• Advertisement

swiftman wrote: »

Ah I didn't give him much money. I highly doubt he has anything like my address written down on a paper. I'd say he was just chancing him arm in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Sounds a bit 'scammy'
    I bloody well hate those collectors outside shopping centre going onto Eglinton St. They latch onto old ladies and guilt trip and plaw-maus them out of a few bob shamelessly. Its the same heads too, week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Nothing worse than someone calling with nothing to offer but a good feeling in exchange for my bank details!! No thanks... Offer me a deal on my lecky or something :)

Someone rang looking for electricity discounts? Why here I am kind Sir, offering discounts for your energy, your telephone and your broadband.....

Roll up, roll up, and get those bank details ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The Hanley Centre lads around town are, well I can't say for risk of being banned. Certainly, extremely dodgy characters who prey on the vulnerable. Why anybody would give them money is beyond me. If I'm not mistaken, the Hanley Centre deals with addictions etc. Whenever I see these lads in town, they're roaring "Help the homeless". Maybe they cater for the homeless too, I'm not sure.

Interesting article about them here too: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/addiction-charity-nothing-short-of-criminal-says-judge-29292524.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Are they the two lads that funnel the people in-between them out side where HMV was?
    I never give them anything, they're to aggressive in their tactics, shouting in to your ear as our pass them.
    Heard on the radio today, there at 8,000 charity's of various shapes and sizes in Ireland...thats insane.
    For approx every 562 persons in Ireland there is 1 charity

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Collector for the Hanly Centre outside the G&L Store in Newcastle this afternoon also.
    Dark haired guy, pleasant in a brand new shiny yellow waistcoat.

Same guy, perhaps?

You can do anything in a yellow jacket. It is the badge of authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Someone came to our door a month ago looking for 10 euro for them for "troublesome families in the area". I asked if he meant troubled families but it was quite insistent that he meant troublesome.That was enough to tip me off so I sent him on his way with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    The Hanley Centre lads around town are, well I can't say for risk of being banned. Certainly, extremely dodgy characters who prey on the vulnerable. Why anybody would give them money is beyond me. If I'm not mistaken, the Hanley Centre deals with addictions etc. Whenever I see these lads in town, they're roaring "Help the homeless". Maybe they cater for the homeless too, I'm not sure.

Interesting article about them here too: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/addiction-charity-nothing-short-of-criminal-says-judge-29292524.html

Yeah, I think they get confused re <snip, trolling>.

My simple rule: never, ever, make eye contact. Pretend you are deaf and keep walking.

Very occasionally one of the energetic backpacker type who swarm Shop St in groups does manage to make eye contact. Then I just do a big grin, shake the head exaggeratedly and keep walking. No words spoken, disengage ASAP.

(I live in the city centre - walk Shop St at least twice a day. If I didn't do the above, I'd be broke from all the beggars!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Yeah, I think they get confused re <snip, trolling>.

My simple rule: never, ever, make eye contact. Pretend you are deaf and keep walking.

Very occasionally one of the energetic backpacker type who swarm Shop St in groups does manage to make eye contact. Then I just do a big grin, shake the head exaggeratedly and keep walking. No words spoken, disengage ASAP.

(I live in the city centre - walk Shop St at least twice a day. If I didn't do the above, I'd be broke from all the beggars!)
    Yeah, usually just looking straight on and walking quickly is enough to get past these lads. Calling to people's houses is a bit weird though, and I'd be very wary of their motives.

The lads they get down during Race Week and other occasions are a joke. They always manage to make eye contact with you or stand in your way. I usually just say I'm late for work but sometimes that doesn't work. Have to resort to expletives in that case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

About door to door begging/chugging, it's not the first time either
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83582028

Never give money at door, you're only rewarding bad behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I keep some religious material next to the front door especially for these people.
    Anytime anyone calls, I show them the leaflets and ask with a smile "Have you been saved? Can I talk to you about Jesus"

Does the job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A number of times i have encountered one particular man who claims to be collecting for the hanly centre, usually outside the Williamsgate street entrance to the Eyre Square centre.. He is usually there for a few days or weeks then disappears, at this point i usually encounter him up around ceannt station/the line.. All i will say is i sincerely doubt his collected money goes to a charity.

(Mods, if this is too much, i'm sorry, but the situation drives me mad. Edit as you see fit)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

A number of times i have encountered one particular man who claims to be collecting for the hanly centre, usually outside the Williamsgate street entrance to the Eyre Square centre.. He is usually there for a few days or weeks then disappears, at this point i usually encounter him up around ceannt station/the line.. All i will say is i sincerely doubt his collected money goes to a charity.

(Mods, if this is too much, i'm sorry, but the situation drives me mad. Edit as you see fit)

I know exactly who you're referring to. Low level con artist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Same guys doing it for years..... Amazing they're still at it. Easy money I'd say http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/22148

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is anyone getting lots of callers wanting to sign you up for Concern? I didn't find out if they want bank details but as it's a monthly commitment I presume they do.
    Are they legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Is anyone getting lots of callers wanting to sign you up for Concern? I didn't find out if they want bank details but as it's a monthly commitment I presume they do.
    Are they legit?

I got one yesterday. He had a bib with the logo on and I think a badge. I didn't look too carefully, as I just tell them before they start their spiel that I'm not interested. I have three charities that I support and I'm not going to add any more. I'm not rude, I reckon I'm just saving their time and mine.

The one that made me cross was one from the Irish Heart Foundation (I think). I was out, my daughter was in the sitting room with headphones on and didn't hear the bell. He peered in the window and knocked on the window! Cheek of him! I heard he's done the same at other houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

I am glad people are voicing their opinion, They are supposed to sell scratch cards, however people give them money and not aware that they are to get a scratch card, that money goes to person selling the scratch card , the same people from Tuam sell scratch cards for Hanly centre and other charities .
    When they sell for Hanley Centre , they say " Help the homeless ", this is false selling , Hanly Centre is for people with addiction issues not homeless ,
    Simon/ Cope are for homeless.
    These people are giving the decent charities( eg Simon/ Cope ) a bad name, There should be stricter rules set up by Hanly Centre etc.
    Also those people approach you when you are sitting outside a cafe , they have such a neck .

Note: During the year , we get a mass invasion of professional sellers
    in Shop Street representing Barnardos / Amnesty Etc, They want you to sign a direct debit , they are all on comission . They should be avoided
    If people want to contribute , you should be able to do it directly.
    and avoid sales pitch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Pure scam - I've said this before in previous threads but I worked in a shop in Tuam years ago where these "employees" of the Hanley Centre would come in every evening straight off the bus from Galway with all their change and ask me to change it into notes for them.

I only did it for them once - as I was told to refuse by my manager afterwards - but straight into the pub they went for the night with their hundreds of euro from the daily collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭grosser

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

i cannot believe that i have to tell chuggers to get away from my front door after they called just there begging for donations!!

it's one thing having to avoid them on shop street but calling to your front door now!!

Advertisement