Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of router is the airRouter?

Options
  • 02-04-2014 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

So I tracked down the router I need but it is expensive. I am unsure what 'type' of router it is though. Is there a search term I can use to find others like it.

The company who provides the net says they use these models:

Ubiquiti Air Router
    Ubiquiti HP Air Router

In the diagram is shows the port as this:

Main Ethernet Port
    (Functions as WAN port in
    default SOHO Router mode)

Thank you for anyone who can help me. This is not like a typical router. It needs to have an Ethernet in instead of a phone line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

So I tracked down the router I need but it is expensive. I am unsure what 'type' of router it is though. Is there a search term I can use to find others like it.

The company who provides the net says they use these models:

Ubiquiti Air Router
    Ubiquiti HP Air Router

In the diagram is shows the port as this:

Main Ethernet Port
    (Functions as WAN port in
    default SOHO Router mode)

Thank you for anyone who can help me. This is not like a typical router. It needs to have an Ethernet in instead of a phone line.

A normal router has an Ethernet port, any with a phone jack are modem routers. They are just suggesting Ubiquiti as that is most likely a brand they use lots of. Any Ethernet router will do, the TPLink suggested in the other thread is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rey8px2m7altcs

A normal router has an Ethernet port, any with a phone jack are modem routers. They are just suggesting Ubiquiti as that is most likely a brand they use lots of. Any Ethernet router will do, the TPLink suggested in the other thread is fine

"Ethernet Router" yields too many results mixing them with cable ones. The one linked is only one, I want to find that "type" of router. I am sorry but you may have the best intentions but I am a researcher I like to find all available brands and then compare them. I have no idea of the reviews on it or what the stats are in detail. Plus I would never buy on Argos. Though EU law states the 1st year is by the retailer they seem to disagree. I know I can search it on Amazon however it still does not help me.

"Ethernet Router" yields too many results mixing them with cable ones. The one linked is only one, I want to find that "type" of router. I am sorry but you may have the best intentions but I am a researcher I like to find all available brands and then compare them. I have no idea of the reviews on it or what the stats are in detail. Plus I would never buy on Argos. Though EU law states the 1st year is by the retailer they seem to disagree. I know I can search it on Amazon however it still does not help me.

Ethernet router and cable router are the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rey8px2m7altcs

Ethernet router and cable router are the same thing.

Then what am I looking for?
    There must be a different name for these routers.
    One is the standard type which takes the line from a phone and allows it to be used by computers.

The other type is where the line has been changed already and is now Ethernet. It just needs to be broadcast wireless.

Those are two entirely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You are looking for a wifi hotspot it seems.

The terminology for this stuff is all messed up and used wrongly. Routing is only one function provided by many devices, which also provide extra functionality like DSL terminal adapter or wifi infrastructure.

You can get a "wifi router"/"wifi hotspot" for e20, no need to spend megabucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

A router used with a phone line and supplied by the likes of Eircom are DSL routers.
    The router you are looking for is commonly referred to as a cable router.

If you search for cable router on Amazon you will get tons of results for you to research and compare.
    Read the reviews, weigh up the cost and make a decision based on your best judgement.

Cable router is also ambiguous, because this might refer to what UPC supply with their "cable service".

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

srsly78 wrote: »
    Cable router is also ambiguous, because this might refer to what UPC supply with their "cable service".

True, but as you've said yourself the terminology when it comes to routers is pretty messed up. Searching for cable router on Amazon or other website will bring up plenty of options.

srsly78 wrote: »

Cable router is what they are called on Argos

The OP is looking for a wifi router, simple as that.

Cable router is not the correct term, as this could mean many other things - like a router with no wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you connect the Laptop/desktop to the ethernet cable, do you get a working internet connection?

If you look at the Ubiquiti hardware at
    http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#rocketm
    most of the dish based devices have the router built in.

If you want to distribute it around the house using wifi though, you'll need an wifi access point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

airRouter is a standard ethernet router, it is NOT a modem.

All the other Ubiquiti stuff like the Rocket are wireless ISP hardware, not for home use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

airRouter is a standard ethernet router, it is NOT a modem.

All the other Ubiquiti stuff like the Rocket are wireless ISP hardware, not for home use.

In an earlier thread (which probably should be joined with this one),
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057181657
    the OP states that he is a customer of an ISP that installed a dish on the side of his house.

The dish feed will usually run to a router provided by the ISP, like the RocketM. The output of this will be the ethernet cable described by the OP.
    The ISP router will either need to go to a Power Over Ethernet switch or the ISP router will get power from a mains power connection.

So it would be worth finding out from the OP whether connecting a laptop directly to this ethernet cable provides an internet connection.

If it does then any old access point ought to work to distribute this connection over wifi to tablets/ laptops/ phones.
    http://www.eurieka.ie/networks/wlan-access-points.html?price=50-100
    or perhaps you'd prefer
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC414B/A/airport-express?fnode=5b3abcc454654c56a0e1d775d3d6376db8041083c9ce7e2898d21e1eb184a3ad48fac35ed0af53bc9cae3f1775990a2965e4b23f2c8ce9d2d997b951bded14e9#product-info

Advertisement