Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee using foul language constantly

Options
  • 02-04-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Hope someone might be able to help me with this.

I am in a new company less than a year. I really like the job and I'm very grateful for the work and opportunity. The company is quite small.
    I've worked in medium to large scale multi nationals so I am used to a certain degree of professionalism.

I was assigned a longterm employee to manage a few months into my new role. To be fair, they weren't managed properly and has a lot of bad habits but the intent and enthusiasm is there (if a little misguided).

However they use bad language constantly - on phone meetings, and in meetings with me and is quite loud.
    Now I'm no saint but I'd never use language in the workplace. This person could easily drop f**k, sh*t numerous times a day. As an adjective, noun, verb - you have it.
    It makes me cringe. They did however apologise for using the word 'cr*p' a few moments ago but continued using f bombs and s bombs.
    A few times I could hear them from a good distance saying 'OH F**K' on the top of their voice.

The environment can be a little informal and this person can be inappropriate and over familiar with senior managers.

Its an international organisation and I need to find a way to tell them without them thinking I'm about to kill their first born as they can be hyper sensitive,

Thanks so much,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Better here I think OP.
    For anyone who has followed this from PI - please ensure you read the local charter before posting.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If the employee is gaining negative attention from more senior staff, you should definitely have a word, to save their neck basically.

If it were me (and ive had to do it twice), I'd pull them to the side and say it 'off the record' and mention that you just don't want them getting in trouble over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

If the employee is gaining negative attention from more senior staff, you should definitely have a word, to save their neck basically.

If it were me (and ive had to do it twice), I'd pull them to the side and say it 'off the record' and mention that you just don't want them getting in trouble over it.

Thanks green screen - Its not like they are getting negative attention from senior staff and I'm surprised nothing has been said to me.
    Its not like I can say someone complained as they haven't but I find it cringey.
    This person is loud at the best of times and so the language appears more pronouced.

One time this person was talking to a trainer and also being loud and obnoxius. I said - XXXX, stop being so loud. They responded - Ande, that's me - get used to it.
    I was gobsmacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Its not like I can say someone complained as they haven't but I find it cringey.

How long has this person been there?
    Were you as aware of their behaviour before you became their manager?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks green screen - Its not like they are getting negative attention from senior staff and I'm surprised nothing has been said to me.
    This person is loud at the best of times and so the language appears more pronouced.

One time this person was talking to a trainer and also being loud and obnoxius. I said - XXXX, stop being so loud. They responded - Ande, that's me - get used to it.
    I was gobsmacked.

Is it possible that coming from more formal environments in previous roles, that this more informal environment is one in which this behaviour is accepted? And that you have not adapted to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chazbat1

Its not an easy conversation to have, but I have had it with an employee before.

I explained that certain language is acceptable within the business environment and you feel that over use of foul language is not professional and you would like him/her to try and keep an eye on it - friendly warning and try and preface it with some positives and end with a positive.

at then end of the day, language can be overheard by clients on the other end of phones and passing through an office etc... but if its a casual office where there is already a culture of people dropping f bombs and s bombs then a precedent could already be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Hi all,
    Hope someone might be able to help me with this.

I am in a new company less than a year. I really like the job and I'm very grateful for the work and opportunity. The company is quite small.
    I've worked in medium to large scale multi nationals so I am used to a certain degree of professionalism.

I was assigned a longterm employee to manage a few months into my new role. To be fair, they weren't managed properly and has a lot of bad habits but the intent and enthusiasm is there (if a little misguided).

However they use bad language constantly - on phone meetings, and in meetings with me and is quite loud.
    Now I'm no saint but I'd never use language in the workplace. This person could easily drop f**k, sh*t numerous times a day. As an adjective, noun, verb - you have it.
    It makes me cringe. They did however apologise for using the word 'cr*p' a few moments ago but continued using f bombs and s bombs.
    A few times I could hear them from a good distance saying 'OH F**K' on the top of their voice.

The environment can be a little informal and this person can be inappropriate and over familiar with senior managers.

Its an international organisation and I need to find a way to tell them without them thinking I'm about to kill their first born as they can be hyper sensitive,

Thanks so much,
    A

Just one question - are you sure your not the only one bothered by it?? I only ask as you mentioned office is quite informal and no one has ever mentioned it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

I hope you are posting this on your break time or else you are in breach of your code of conduct ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Thats hardly a basis for telling someone to adjust their behavior. Is he affecting the business in some way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Is the worker Irish? I ask this because I have a French report that drops the S bomb as in France it is isn't that big a word (equivalent of the c word), same in German.

I'd have an Off the record chat over a coffee about it and see if it changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Doesn't sound like they'll be her receptive. The 'I'm me own bleeding person' brigade don't take too well too well to any such criticism of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I think you have to tackle this officially. Best not to single this person out individually, if you only have one direct report thats difficult but if more than one person reports to you then its a little easier. In that case you can tell everyone the way they conduct themselves reflects on the business and that everyone should be professional etc.... and that it has been noticed that foul language has been used and must stop, your not a robot so the odd word is acceptable -- in context, but people need to stop or it will reflect in their annual appraisals. If this person is your only report, then just pluck up the courage and tell them. Its part of managing people, its not easy but you have to do it. Your not their friend, your their boss. So its not a friendly word that's needed, its a direct instruction to change behaviour.

Thanks to everyone who has posted (helpful) advice.
    I have a lot of senior leadership experience so I am used to dealing with performance problems, challenging situations etc.
    While I cannot challenge the quality of this persons work, it is satisfactory but this person has not been managed correctly and it has resulted in bad habits.
    I just feel that broaching the subject of swearing somewhat difficult.
    I'm hiring external professional staff currently and I am hoping that with a bigger team I can set the tone of professional behaviour.
    Thanks again and mod, please close this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Nothing in what you have posted points to anyone else having an issue with the person in question other than yourself. And to say that someone hasn't been "managed correctly" comes across both pompous and patronising and I'm sure that is not your intention.

Good luck with the situation, but I would urge you to look at the situation objectively - just because you don't like it doesn't mean its a problem.

Nothing in what you have posted points to anyone else having an issue with the person in question other than yourself. And to say that someone hasn't been "managed correctly" comes across both pompous and patronising and I'm sure that is not your intention.

Good luck with the situation, but I would urge you to look at the situation objectively - just because you don't like it doesn't mean its a problem.

I didn't mean to sounds pompous or patronising as that is not me at all.
    The 'managed correctly' was said to me by many senior people here and I believe it was unfair to the individual.
    Its just shocking to me is all.
    Again, I can f and blind like the next person but its choosing the audience is important. I do know it does bother a few others but its never said directly.

Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement