Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Mint

• 02-04-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice, I planted a few mint seeds last autumn in a container and they came on fine but are restricted by the container size, I wanted to plant them in my garden, but I've heard that mint can get out of control easily and take over the whole garden, is this true ?
    Also the soil in my garden is pretty crap, very like soil mixed with builders rubble, will they grow OK in this ?

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, yes, yes mint will go mad. You could put them in a large container sunk in the ground, but it will escape through the hole in the bottom, split the container (eventually) or nip over the top edge depending on how deep it is planted. Admittedly that would be in good soil, but like scutch - the roots look very similar! - it will grow anywhere. I think the best thig would be to get a large container, stand it on a hard surface and plant the mint in that.

You would really be advised to sort out the soil a bit, get out the worst of the rubble, for example, before planting anything. Its much easier to do it while the plot is empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, yes, yes mint will go mad. You could put them in a large container sunk in the ground, but it will escape through the hole in the bottom, split the container (eventually) or nip over the top edge depending on how deep it is planted. Admittedly that would be in good soil, but like scutch - the roots look very similar! - it will grow anywhere. I think the best thig would be to get a large container, stand it on a hard surface and plant the mint in that.

You would really be advised to sort out the soil a bit, get out the worst of the rubble, for example, before planting anything.
    Its much easier to do it while the plot is empty.

Agreed...builders rubble usually contains cement and concrete which contain elements that are toxic to plants.

You'd really need to clear as much as you can out and get some good topsoil and some compost...you'll be glad you did in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Put them in a bigger plot , if you plant it out it will take over the garden shooting up from roots under the ground . I know I did it & it now takes up a spacce of about 6ft in late summer .

Advertisement